PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone,
I was looking at Dunhill pipes today and although they are beautiful, their prices are high enough to scare a monster away.

It would be awesome to own one but at this time I'm on the border of making a decision.

Any input? I'd appreciate your feedback. Have you owned a Dunhill? Was it good? Not what you expected?

Or have you never owned one and don't recommend it?

Thanks!

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
There is a compulsive part of me that wants to go over the top and get the very best whenever I start something new. I have been looking at Dunhills, Castellos, Ashtons, and several individual pipe makers as well. However, I think my first goal as a new smoker is going to be to expand my collection with less expensive pipes of different styles and sizes so that I know what I really like and have a solid rotation before investing in something really fancy. I have read nothing but good things about Dunhills and look forward to the first time I smoke one, in the meantime I think I'll get a couple of cobs and go from there.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I have been smoking for a little under a year and still only have no name pipes with the exception of my Macqueen. I really would like to get a name brand pipe but then again going along with what jonahtke said, I would like to get a little better rotation before I do. Even then a Dunhill would be nice but being a college student there is no way that I can afford it. It's your call though. If you find a nice one for a good price that you're willing to pay then go for it. From what I hear there is no such thing as a bad Dunhill :puffy:

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I own a dunhill, and I have friends who have several, my opinion, I think they are worth it, I do think there is a difference, my friends are divided, half say there is half say there isnt, I would say buy one or buy an estate dunhill, then you can make the decision yourself, thats the only way to know

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Never had a Dunhill. I do, however, own a Peterson Plato, a Castello Searock Briar, and a newly acquired Randy Wiley 91 grade pipe. I heartfeltly believe the Plato is the best pipe I have ever smoked, and the Wiley is damn close. They are both large, lightweight, and the smoking dynamics are dead on, easy to light up and sip with little effort. Now, having said that, I enjoy smoking my corn cobs regularly as well as myriad other pipes. The Castello is a fine peice of workmanship, but not necessarily better than the many Peterson, Savinelli, and Edwards pipes I have. My dedicated flake pipe and dedicated Virginia pipe are both Dr. Grabows. IMHO, pipe smoking is a combo of good tobacco, a well balanced pipe, and plenty for trial and error to find just the right match of the two. One day I would like to own a Dunhill. But if I can get a pipe that looks just like one, smokes my tobacco well, and costs 1/4th the price or less, I think I would rather spend the extra on the tobacco.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I think eventually everyone should own a Dunhill. Like it or not, they are the most spoken of, most written of, most famous pipes in the world. Until you own one, you'll only be guessing.
I've got 5 - a '59, two '60s, a '61 and a '68. They are nice pipes, but not the best I own.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
There are a few white spots in my piperack. It is probably true Dunhill never made a bad pipe, but I have seen and owned Dunhills whose quality didn't justify their price. The level of pricing is an essential part of their marketing strategy and any prospective buyer would be wise to keep that in mind. You should expect nothing less than perfection for that kind of money.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've owned several Dunhills and love them. Their shapes are classic and their fit and finish are top notch. But about 3 years ago I sold most of them in order to collect more pieces from artisan carvers from North America. For about the same amount of money, you could either get a classic Dunhill like this:

DunhillShellBilliard01.jpg

Or you could get a handmade artisan pipe like this from SE Thile:

SEThile01-1.jpg

It's just a matter of personal preference, but I applaud your desire to reach for something a bit grand.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I only have one in my collection, it's a Meerschaum that is quite rare, it smokes great but no better than others in my collection, have never had the desire to acquire any more, but then I'm a Peterson addict.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I own a 1944 yr dunhill briar and a 63 shell and they are not my best smokers, a lowly Bertram and a stanwell beat them hands down, not that they don" t smoke good, but for way less money you can do better. Tbradsim the old cajun

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Is it really fair to compare 50+ year old dunhills to the new pipes currently on the market?
I know we're talking about pipes here...not computers, but it seems unfair somehow.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I don't have a Dunhill but for what its worth my opinion is a pipe is simply a chunk of wood with holes in it to put tobacco and to smoke through. The high end stuff is beautiful and we al like them but they are still just a chunk of wood with holes in them. There are a lot of really nice pipes that not only look good but smoke good too and you can buy 8 of them for one Dunhill.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I've been smoking a pipe for over 30 years, and still don't have a Dunhill, or Castello. It's not that I don't want one, just can't really afford it. I do hope to one day own a birth year (1956) Dunhill, but I'm sure it will set me back way more than I really want to spend.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Hmmm... torn on what to say. Have owned multiple Dunhill pipes in the past, (shell, redbark & tanshell) and just won a group 4 dress pipe on ebay for a song the other day. Maybe that's the way to go? There are ocassionally estate Dunhills that sell for under $100 and are in decent condition - you just have to be watchful.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"I don't have a Dunhill but for what its worth my opinion is a pipe is simply a chunk of wood with holes in it to put tobacco and to smoke through. "
The first 5 words of that sentence explain the rest of the words in that sentence.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I have several Dunhills in my collection, some I bought new others I bought as estates. They are for the most part fine smokers and Of course very well made but I have other pipes in my collection that are better smokers. I would not purchase a new Dunhill at todays prices but there many fine Dunhill estates that I would consider. I guess what I'm trying to say is I personally like them. If you can justify the purchase price go for it.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I think that I will wait until alter time to purchase a Dunhill. For now I will focus on artisan pipes and cheaper pipes that smoke just as well.

Dunhill is not going anywhere so I have plenty of time to make that decision later one. Thanks for the input everyone.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I have 10 Dunhills at present, 7 purchased new (smooth) and 3 purchased used (estates).
A good used Dunhill can be found on e-bay for about $200 or so. Buy one, and you will probably enjoy it the rest of your life. Artisan pipes (really good ones) will cost you far more than most Dunhill pipes, even when purchased new. I've also had issues with artisan pipes (cracking, shrinking, etc) that I've never had with factory-made pipes. Look at it this way: there are lots of talented pipe makers out there making wonderful looking pipes, and they charge a lot of money for them. Many have been making them for only a few years (probably far less than most folks at Dunhill) and are still learning the ropes as far as wood sourcing, selection, seasoning and so forth. I attribute this to the problems I've had with three $500+ Artisan pipes over the years. I understand $500 is sort of low end for an artisan pipe, but I want a pipe that will last for the long haul.
Lots of people hate Dunhills in the same way they hate Rolex watches: they are sort of a status symbol, and the enthusiast cognoscenti turn their noses up to them because Dunhills are just plain, old traditional shapes, like Rolex watches are. You won't find the "flavor of the month" in a Dunhill pipe, nor will you find an artist profile in a pipe magazine either. What you will find with a Dunhill is a rock-solid, well-made pipe that, with a modicum of care, will outlast you. Those who feel cheaper pipes smoke better, well good for you. If you feel it's best to purchase 10 pipes instead of one, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Me, now that I have a wife and kids, find myself saving for months to buy my next pipe; the last one almost a year. But I'd rather have one really high quality pipe than a rack full of lesser ones.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker
Status
Not open for further replies.