PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I was surprised by this pipe which is called a Dr Boston and made by Butz Choquin when I received it Bought at auction for a very modest price. I've read some of the Dr Boston pipes are made of pear root. Does anyone else have this brand or pear root pipes? What's your take on this wood?
This is a nice pipe which has a stubby fat shank and it really smokes well. I was surprised by it!
drB1.jpg

DrB8.jpg

DrB12.jpg

DrB3.jpg

DrB4.jpg

First thing I did was remove this stinger.
DrB7.jpg

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
From what I have seen, pear has a much denser and less varied grain pattern to it than briar, your Dr Boston looks like briar to me.
I believe this 'Cocktail' pipe is made of briar and not pear.

There is a little topic on pear root pipes
Thanks for looking into and posting the link. Very informative!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cup O Joes carries several BC pipes that are made by "BC craftsmen," but are not stamped. These appear

at the end of their regular BC offerings. They have rather dark gray stain but are nicely shaped. Once in

the public's hands, these will forever cause confusion about their origins, I feel sure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With some artisan pipes, and many standard brands, ratcheting up their prices, French pipes are a

great bargain, such good pipes at (often) notably reasonable prices. Even in the used market, as we

see in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.