PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My wife wants me to have my very own pipe, I have about 15 estate pipes that I either was lucky to find in good shape or I did a light refurb on a few. But, since she is wanting to get me a brand new pipe, I started looking and I saw the Butz-Choquin pipes and love the D'Accord line. I read that they do not come apart(stem and shank)and am a little concerned on this.

My question is this true? If so I will probably pick another brand.
Thanks!

-Jason

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I have two Butz Choquins I just bought recently and the stems are on there really tight.I haven't been able to get them apart and I am afraid of breaking the stem.Both of mine are calabash pipes but I just thought i would throw my 2 cents in there.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I have two Butz Choquins I just bought recently and the stems are on there really tight
Ohiopuffer, if you are having a hard time dissassembling your pipes, toss them in the freezer for awhile - preferrably while unlit and cold. Leave them in for half-an-hour - and don't peek/fiddle. The plastic tenon will contract faster than the wooden mortise, allowing you to dissassemble the pipe with ease.

Once you've got the pipe broken down, rub some beeswax on the tenon - it will help to lubricate the fit (it's magic stuff - you can also use it to snug up a loose fitting stem). If you don't have any beeswax on hand, or don't know where to find any, you can also use graphite. Most hardware stores sell a powdered variety, however I find it messy - I prefer simply find a pencil and "colour in" the tenon.

If the fit is still overly tight, you can carefully sand down the tenon - just remember to check it every few twists to ensure it's not too loose! If you do take it down too far, you can build it up with a clear acrylic paint (read: clear nail-polish).

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
Never had a problem with mine. Great pipe, one might be my next pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Seems to be a BC day. I have a bent Formula and a Jumbo billiard. I really like both but have noticed that the tenons are longer than some of my other pipes. Be gentle and the stem will pull off.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I have three BC's., but no d'Accord.
They all smoke well, but they frankly are not the best in the rotation and I don't grab them as often as some of the others.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree with Mick... I have a BC Millesime and even though it's one of their higher end lines it only smokes OK. The bit is a little thick, the airway is a little narrow... again, not bad but not great.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
+1 on schmitzbitz recommendation for separating the stem.

Use caution if you decide to sand the tenon...

I would try the graphite first before the beeswax.

While I do use beeswax on the tenons of a pipe or two that I have; I find that when they warm up the stems feel lubricated and can slip a little... YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
Just a couple of pennies from my perspective.
:puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a d'Accord bulldog and I think it is an excellent value. Nice, dry smoker; comes apart easily.

DSCN0434.jpg

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I'm smoking my B C right now. Funny if I recall my mouthpiece was a lil loose until I smoked it and. It tightened up to perfect. My shank is boxwood though. So maybe that's a boxwood thing? But mine is a very good smoker. I really like it.

monsterbear

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
I just picked up a BC Choquin LE Melliseme 1983 from a local shop. As I understand, only 50 of these were imported to the US. Does anybody know some more about them? It smokes great! The only thing I don't like is that little metal condenser thing in the stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my BC pipes. So far no problems with stems, but I'll keep the freezer trick in mind. I don't break my

pipes down unless I have to. In general, French pipes seem to deliver a little more bang for the buck.

When Peterson was selling a lot of the Dracula pipes, I liked the contrasting colorful stems, but not the

vampire theme so much, I so I bought a BC 1304 Caprice bent billiard with a narrow silver-colored band

and raspberry colored stem. Same effect, but in a little lighter pipe, for a decided savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.