PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I am really getting into Butz Choquin pipes. I just bought my second one and I am looking at a few more. This new one is stamped "Capitan70".

butz-choquin-capitan70-5-600x600.jpg

It came with the original box and insert.

butz-choquin-oscar-1970-364x600.jpg

I am interpreting this to mean that the pipe was manufactured in 1970. Does this make sense? Does anyone else know anything about dating BC pipes? They seem to make quite a few limited editions that I really like. If anyone knows of a resource to obtain more information about them, date them or obtain them I would appreciate it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
French factory pipes are so well done and served as the models for the English pipes that have tended toward being over-priced. My BC's are Rocaille blast 1601 straight billiard and a Caprice bent billiard 1304 blast with raspberry stem and silver-colored band, light weight pipes with ample bowls. For a newcomer buying their first briars, I would highly recommend Butz-Choquin for an all-around pipe. If you learn with these, you'll learn right, and it will be as satisfactory when you're an experienced smoker too. St. Claude is where briar pipes began, and they still manufacture among the best.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
French pipes are greatly over shadowed by English and Italian pipe in my opinion. Both of my excellent smoking cuttys are Chacom, I picked up two mid-70's Jeantets that both smoke dry and cool, I have 2 BC billiards that smoke wonderfully, and both of my Rattray pipes (made by BC) are made in France. My favorite and best smoking aromatic pipe is a huge Chacom Louve horn that is also one of my best looking pipes too. Personally I like that the French makers are over looked as it keep the prices on them down. :)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great looking pipe! I really like how the stem and shank are almost as wide as the bowl. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I take it all back. You wouldn't like a French pipe. They're no good at all. They're overpriced. How am I doing blueeye?

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have always been amazed at how over priced some pipes are (I know this may not be PC but Dunhills just seem too far in the stratosphere to tempt me) while others (mostly French pipes) are seemingly underpriced. I have several BCs which smoke well, look great and feel wonderful in the hand. Good weight, good bit and perfect air flow. Just can't ask for more than that! And the grain of your pipe, SL, is lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.