PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I can't say its a restoration because the pipe was in very good shape. I just did the basics.1) Some Q-tips, saliva and elbow grease for the rim. 2) Light reaming of the bowl. 3) Salt and alcohol treatment for 24 hours. 4) Stem soak in Oxyclean. 5) Cleaning inside of the stem with alcohol, a shank brush and bristled pipe cleaners. 6) Wet sanding the stem with Micro Mesh. 7) Tighten the tenon a bit with some heat and a metal rod because it was a bit too loose for comfort. 8) A bit of Renaissance Wax and 10 minutes later a good long rub with a microfiber cloth.
IMAG4227_zpswzfkmzvc.jpg

IMAG4240_zpspmccpm6c.jpg

IMAG4228_zpspzrxkmvg.jpg

IMAG4246_zps3tajxmjh.jpg

IMAG4226_zps31ln0iwm.jpg

IMAG4239_zps1rkinwpj.jpg

I know it's not a professional restoration but, it turned our to my liking, and I think it's sanitised enough for me to smoke it. The best part of this estate pipe was the price. Now that I'm at 14 briars and 5 corncobs I think it's the last one I'll buy... for now... until my birthday.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got a couple of Butz Choquin pipes. One I smoke and one I pull out every now and then and look at.

The one I smoke is a billiard and its birdseye is awesome. The finish on it is SO smooth it's just amazing.

Yours is more like the one I don't smoke, so I can't really make any suggestions except that I'd try all genres in it and find out which one it favors, if any.

Some of the more distinctive blends you might wait and see...Mix79, Ennerdale, or very heavy Lat blends just so you don't have to go through another alcohol scenario.

I don't dedicate any pipe to any genre and smoke whatever blend I (ok, I've got some that favor flakes it seems)

I'm just sayin...dedication due to taste doesn't really seem all that necessary unless you're talking stink bombs sorts of blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.