PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I just bought a Butz Choquin calabash and a calabash jr.Anybody know if the stems are removable on these pipes?I cannot move them and I love the pipes but eventually i will need to remove the stems and they seem like they are fixed any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Pictures will be of enormous help.

Most gourd calabash pipes are military style bits and are removable.

But, we can't be sure with out photos.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
This is the Calabash Jr.
caljrb.jpg

Edit: Fixed your pic, L.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I tried but it really seems to be in there and I am afraid of breaking the pipe.I will try a little harder maybe i am being too gentle with them.Thanks for the input.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
An old cure that I had to use once is to put the pipe in the freezer for several hours. The joint contracts and loosens. I used this technique many years ago and it worked. The first time I took the pipe out of the freezer, it was still tight, so I put it back in again for a while longer. So take your time and twist the stem when you remove it. Any heat or warmth would probably cause the joint to expand and get even tighter. That's a nice pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have 2 BC's and I've noticed that the tenons are a bit longer than my other pipes, so be careful removing the stem. BTW, very nice looking pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.