Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Butera's Royal Cake

(13 posts)
  1. dnietosi

dnietosi

Login to Send PM

I got this tobacco at the beginning of last summer. First impressions where not very good, but slowly I got to really like it. There is this ketchupy smell/flavor that I am enjoying very much lately. Where is this coming from? Is it how the virginias are matured? What else is out there similar to this blend?

D

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Your pipe tobacco blend is made by McClelland, hence the "Ketchup"/vinegar taste for their signature virginias.

Most McClelland virginia blends have this tin note, which, IMO, does not transfer to the taste when smoked. Some disagree. Some love it, many hate it. I am on the former side of that road.

Try McClelland's Personal Reserve: Blackwoods Flake. It's a broken flake. I'm pretty sure you'll love it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many McClelland blends also have a ketchupy note...I find it appalling, but many such as yourself love it. What it comes from, I have no clue. I believe the virginias are pressed and aged in McClelland's blends, but don't know about Butera. Again, when or how they add the ketchup, I have no idea

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahh...Thanks Roth. That explains why it's so much like a McClelland blend

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No problem, Mike!

Dnietosi, Some Butera blends are really hard to find. If you ever come across any Butera Kingfisher please let me know. I'd love to grab some tins of that stuff

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. dnietosi

dnietosi

Login to Send PM

Will do but after I grab a few for myself

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth, is that a blue-ish tin?

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, just googled...Pretty sure Feericks had a tin of that last time I was there, sometime before Christmas. Might've been more than one, don't recall for sure, but I do remember seeing it in their case.

[EDIT]

Wait, that might've been Pelican, same basic color and I just noticed it in passing. I'll call in the morning and ask, see which they have, if either.

Sorry

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The Kingfisher tin is blue, with the Kingfisher bird on the label. The Pelican has the Pelican on its label. It's the Kingfisher I've been looking for.

Mike if you find any, please remember I am first in line asking you to grab a bunch of it for me -- or, better yet, maybe they can ship it to me -- if so, PM me their phone number OK? Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure thing Roth, I'll give 'em a call in the morning and see what it was I saw. If it's Kingfisher, I'll let you know straightaway.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks, bro!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, do me a favor? If I haven't gotten back to you by about 1100 my time, ding me, would you, and remind me? I've put a note on my desk, but sometimes I still forget shit.....they say your memory is the second thing to go as you get older, can't remember what goes first.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No problem, Mike. I'll send you a PM now. Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   condorlover1, murf, darwin, beefeater33, texmexpipe, edwinbaz, elpfeife, indianafrank, i8ball, sparks, bulldogbriar89, pitchfork, lestrout, briarfriar, derfatdutchman, tbradsim1, bigvan, dochudson, woodsroad, andystewart, pruss, smorgdonkey, melvinsunsmokedcastello, kcvet67, mmjk