PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Curious about getting some of this. I've heard a lot of good about it, and I'd like to try some good periques. All my searches turn up dead ends, I heard they were discontinued but there was a chance of them coming back. Anyone know where I could find some?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It is an excellent Va/Per but almost impossible to find here. There were rumors that it has been discontinued but I have not seen any confirmation of that. If you ever do find a supply, scoop it up.

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I talked to Michael Butera at the Chicago Pipe Show. He said it was all up to Arango. He believes JF Germains has all the components to make Kingfisher. However Arango hasn't ordered any. Without any orders Germian's hasn't made any since 06

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
email campaign to Arango? jiminks saved Edward G. Robinson Blend almost singlehandedly so there's no reason why we members can't so the same thing.

I think this is Arango's phone number: (847) 480-0055

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've always wanted to try Kingfisher, so I'd be glad to petition for more to be made.

What about Pelican, is it in the same boat? I've only gotten my hands on one tin of it in the past, and it is most excellent as well! I'd like to see some of it in stock too!

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Pelican has dissappeared as well. I'm all for a petition. What's the best way? A collective email? Each individual sending an email? Everyone calling?
Why is it that everyone's favorite Va/Pers are rhe ones that go? haha

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
On the notion that Kingfisher hasn't been produced since 2006: I think that's unlikely. Here at Smokingpipes.com we've seen it in small quantities since 2006 (and before). However, 2011 was the last time we saw any.
Pelican we've seen a few times over the last couple of years. I don't think they stopped production on this (or Kingfisher) and sat around on the tins until Arango ordered them. All the retailers are asking of Arango these difficult to come by blends; Arango orders what they want and they get what they get from Germain. I really think it's a matter of production. Germain is a small company and they produce a ton of different stuff under a handful of different brands. Though I'm certainly not sure how they prioritize their production or what kinds of factors determine when they produce what.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Also, keep in mind, Germain is the same company that produces Penzance, Stonehaven, and (the current version of) Balkan Sobranie (among many other blends). So if they can't even produce enough of these blends to satisfy pipe smokers petitions and phone calls probably won't change much, sadly.

Dec 24, 2012
I had understood that Pelican is no longer made by Germain. I thought one of the other houses is making it. Wonder if anyone knows.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
We got Pelican in October, November, December, January, then in March last. So I think it's still being produced. And it's always come in from Arango, which I take to mean that it's still made by Germain. If it was made by Orlik (which at this point is synonymous with Peter Stokkebye) then we should have got it from Lane. Methinks.

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks Ted. I think you are right. I have a bunch of Pelican tins bought over the last two years and they say they were made in Jersey, which suggests Germain. But then on Pipestud's site he had some Pelican for sale very recently and here is what he said:
"Butera's Pelican sealed two ounce tins. Pelican is the perfect Mixture, combining exact portions of the finest, most rare Cyprian Latakia, the spiciest, most zesty Turkish and Orientals, and the richest, most sweet sun grown Virginia whole leaf available today. Aged in cakes then fine cut to ribbon form. Pelican delivers multiple dimensions of sweet, mellow tastes, with a variety of contradicting rich and spicy room aromas. Originally produced by Germain and then McClelland's for a short period, this is the newer Peter Stokkebye version made sometime after 2008. I have 1 tin still available for $18.00"
Now, I am confused.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, me too. I have been smoking Pelican since the late 90's and its always been made by Stokkebye. I still have some tins from back then and they say Made in Denmark. Germain is making it now.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I smoked my last tin of Kingfisher a few years ago. It had a tin aroma that was very unique, I have never found a match for it, or anything that really resembles it. To me it smelled like merlot and earth. It was in my top five.
I saw 2 tins at the Chicago show. One was going for $70 and the other for $50. I passed.

Dec 24, 2012
Les, my tins also have a black felt mark on the front but I didn't know what it was covering - probably the Made in Denmark marking

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Thanks for the updates, everyone. I'll have to keep this on my wishlist and hope a tin pops up for less than $50 haha. A shame to see good blends go. Smoke em if you got em' and cellar em' when you love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.