PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
They simply stop working and constantly need to be filled. The clicker on the lighter requires me to click it up to four times in a row some times. It's just annoying. I don't know why I have to fill them so much, a Bic will last me over a month with out even thinking about it. Same with a Zippo. I have 4 of them. Seems like every time I pick one up, the darn thing is empty. I purchased a Zippo butane insert for one of my zippos and I have the same problem with that butane insert, I am constantly messing with it.
It's like it's starting to remind me how my $100.00 peterson smokes worse than my 3 dollar corn cob and is all actually a little ridiculous.
I think I have come to the conclusion that these darn lighters are going on ebay, or in the closet and going to stick with either matches or a 99 cent Bic.
Anyone else gotten tired of their darn lighters?

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I guess the purpose of a lighter is to bring fire to tobacco. If a Bic works cheaply and reliably, why not? If I don't use a Bic, I'm using one of those longy-bendy-neck BBQ lighters since it's easy to stick in the bowl for late-bowl relights.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I've tried 2 Thunderbird inserts and neither have worked worth a darn.
I usually use Bics but I am starting to like my pipe Zippo a bit. I only notice the smell/taste the first minute or so.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I don't get all the complaints about butane lighters. Maybe I live under a charmed cloud, but I've just NEVER had any of the problems that forum members keep complaining about. I own four butanes: 2 Lacardo JetLines, 1 Xikar Resource, and, most recently, a no-name (probably made in China) lighter that I bought for $25 from Mr Brog through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tobacco-Pipe-Lighter-Czech-Tool/dp/B00DELK016/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&qid=1392667768&sr=8-53&keywords=mr+brog - which has become my favourite. All have been extremely reliable, never failing to light, not needing refueling that often.
I wonder if all the problems folks are having is because of not completely emptying the reservoir before refilling. For this purpose, I highly recommend a tool made specifically for this purpose, such as the Visol tool available on Amazon (where else?) for $14.99. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Butane-Purging-Flame-Adjusting-Lighter/dp/B00E7VL0TS/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1392668056&sr=8-16&keywords=butane+tool.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have a JetLine that I like too. The Thunderbird Zippo insert was a joke, and my regular Zippos always seem to be out of fluid. More and more (at least inside) I reach for wooden matches.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I don't get all the complaints about butane lighters. Maybe I live under a charmed cloud, but I've just NEVER had any of the problems that forum members keep complaining about.
+1

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I haven't had the specific problems the other butane users listed - but I've had entirely different ones, mostly related to those inexpensive IMCO lighters. I bought 2, and both broke when I tried to refill them - one due to my own mishnandling, and the other just never seemed to work right after my first refilling attempt.
Sticking with matches and a Zippo, though I've got a disposable Djeep in reserve, should I need it.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I once had a cool Peterson butane lighter and it stopped working right away. I stick with my Zippo and bics. My pipe pouch has a Zippo lighter and bic at all times (in case the Zippo runs out). I only use bics on cobs since they will darken/burn the rims of briar pipes really quickly unlike Zippos which burn much much cooler. Even though I have some nice briars, I almost smoke entirely with cobs now in the winter, in the warmer months when I can really enjoy a pipe, I switch mostly to briars again.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I've tried expensive lighters and they don't seem to work that well. Matches are impractical for the car and windy days. Nothing seems to work as well as a cheap bic lighter IMO.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I really like my Zippo with the pipe insert, but I do find that it tends to run out of fluid at the most inopportune times. I keep a Bic as a spare. The Bic works fine for my cobs but I wouldn't think of using it with my briars. If I happen to burn the rim of one of my cobs, not a biggie, do the same with an expensive briar, definitely a bad day!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
No issues with my Corona Old Boy. But, if something goes wrong, send it back for a very reasonable priced repair with quick turnaround. I've also good luck with a Lotus L11 and a Vertigo by Lotus as well.Diamond strike on box matches work well too though.
Mike S.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I hate refillable butane lighters as much as you do, for all the same reasons. I fill my zippo every 3 days, and it never lets me down. My second choice is a disposable bic because it will last for weeks, but is terrible in wind.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I have one butane lighter that I carry with me all the time. Got it from Thompson cigar a year ago and it works like a champ. Seems to stay charged forever. Never fails to light, though sometimes I don't realize it till I see the element glowing because the flame is darn near invisible. Don't see a brand name on it anywhere, so can't help PR the thing here.
And I have one I bought that was a biker novelty from a convenience store. Framed with motorcycle chain links. Looks cool. But, POS. Doesn't stay charged well, fails to light so many times. I set it on my workbench as a conversation piece and a reminder not to buy cheap novelty crap. Though probably every other one sold worked fine for everyone else. I got a dud.
I think that's the lesson for me right there: it varies with the make, and it varies lighter to lighter.
Other than that, I really, really prefer to suck the flame down from a match. Match-dance. I've been mistaken for a retard many times for being easily entertained by things like that. But that lovely orange and blue flame dancing down, happily stirring up smoke. Matches, dude. Matches.
(Just don't suck the sulfur in. Unpleasant! Let one burn a few seconds before bringing it to the bowl, whether wooden or paper).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with 4-Dot, my Thunderbird insert has been trouble-free over the past four years. I always travel with it, matches aren't much good out of doors.
The key is, as mentioned, purging the air before filling and buying a good quality Butane product.
I have several Zippo pipe inserts, but they just need filled too often and even with the new fuel, I still taste it on the initial light.
I use a fork tine tip to purge the air, 45 seconds of well-spend time.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I have been using Atoll Retro soft-flame butane lighters for many years. The screws come loose occasionally, and they get quite dirty at times, but they have huge tanks, and always light. I have had to send them (I have 2) back from time to time to be repaired (once, every two years or so), but I always get a new head out of the deal - for the price of one-way postage.
No pipe tools, but pipe tools just take up tank-space. If the jets get clogged, I ream them with a stripped twist-tie. (It works great).
I smoke all the time. I re-fill my lighters once a week - at most. I even bleed them sometimes.
I love my lighters. And they love me.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've had refillable butanes over the years, eventually either the filler or flame-end valve leaked. When disposible butanes came along I chucked the refillables. Half the time with disposibles the flint craps out while there's still fuel in the tank, but for a buck I don't cry over it. That said I only use them when I'm on the road, because taking a Zippo through in carry-on could be a problem with the TSA. At home it's Zippo all the way.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Being a former cigar smoker, I have had my fair share of issues with butane lighters (particularly the torch varitey, but some soft flame lighters as well). When I started my pipe hobby, I picked up a Zippo pipe lighter and I absolutely love it. When I purchased it about a year a go, I also grabbed the large can of the zippo primium lighter fluid and I've only managed to use about half of the fluid thus far. So far, it hasn't shown itself to be prone to drying out quickly, and since I don't smoke every day or every week for that matter, I can say that with some confidence. Also, I have recently been looking into getting a second lighter (really just to have one) and I have seen a lot of good feedback regarding the Kiribi Pipe Lighters. They are a quite a bit more expensive, but they are reported to light the first time every time and don't burn through the fuel fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.