PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I have a Colibri Jazz lighter that the flame is barely usable anymore. I have only used 5X Power, and Colibri butane since new. The flame size has continually gotten smaller, and now is barely enough to light my pipe. The adjustment is at the maximum setting. Is there a simple way to clean the butane delivery tube?
I have kept the lighter clean with alcohol and bristle pipe cleaners, however I can't seem to find any information on cleaning the delivery tube. I hope someone can help with a simple solution. I really do not want to send in the lighter for repair, as a new one would be a better investment.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Did you make sure to bleed the chamber before refilling?
Good point, I have already bled off the air in the chamber. It still doesn't work properly.
I'll try the customer service number. As this Colibri was purchased as "new, old stock" I doubt if the warrenty applies.

Dec 24, 2012
When I smoked cigars I had a few Colibris. Every one of them broke down very quickly. When they came out of bankruptcy protection a few years back, I had heard that they had corrected many of their quality control issues. I;m not willing to give them a try though.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Most likely I won't bother to repair this lighter. The customer service phone numbers are worthless, and only tell you to follow the instructions on their web page. I have sent an email to Colibri, but I believe it will be money better spent to purchase a reliable lighter.
Another lesson that you get what you pay for. My frugal nature (read cheap) does bite me in the arse occassionally.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I have a Xikar lighter that has been giving me problems. I checked the Xikar website and they advertise a lifetime warranty on all their lighters, so I sent them off an email detailing the issues, but not expecting any reply. Lo, and behold, I got an email back the next morning saying that they were sorry for the problems and if I would send it back, they would repair or replace it for free. Soon as I can drain the butane, it's going back. I was thoroughly impressed with their customer service!
Give a Xikar a try!
John

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I Bought several & won't do it again. I do have one that I like & still works, looks like a Dunhill knock off.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I had a Lotus that was giving me trouble. I "cleaned it out" by substituting compressed air for butane. I did that several times and ran about a full can of Lotus brand fuel through it. I got another year of service. Colibri? Throw it in a trash can IMHO.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.