PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
This little hint I'm sure has been mentioned in the past, but I figure I'd mention it again.
For those of us who use butane lighters, I've found that putting the lighter in the freezer for a few minutes before filling helps pack more gas into the unit instead of just filling at room temperature.
I'm not sure about the physics, but it seems to be able to pack more gas in when very cold.
It works for me.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Allen you're reducing the Vapor Pressure, try running hot water in Bathroom sink and immerse Butane bottle up to 1/3 of can for a few minutes, you're raising the vapor pressure. Take lighter and fill counting to 8 or 10, wait a few minutes and fill again, you will be surprised how long it will last. Best to you Buddy.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Thanks, but I've given up completely on the refillables. They fail just when you need them most! My favorite lighter is now officially a white bic disposible lighter, so you can see how much fluid you have left.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Bryan
I can't disagree with you at all. For that matter, strike anywhere matches are excellent too.
I guess that I enjoy the 'elegance' of a nice lighter, troublesome as they sometimes will be.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I do use my fancy refillable butane at home, but it has left me wandering the streets like a vagabond begging for a light one too many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.