PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Got a Butane lighter from the wife for Hanukkah. Are all refill butane canisters the same? Can you really order on line as it is flammable?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
All the fuel valves on the lighters and fuel nozzles on the cans that I have ever seen will interchange. Just be sure and use a premium butane fuel with a low level of impurities. I have used both Xikar Purofine and Colibri butane with good results, but have no personal experience with Vector or Zippo's butane. Ronson Butane is not considered a clean premium butane. I buy mine locally. If you buy online you will experience special (read SLOW) shipping because it is flammable.
There are YouTube videos showing how to fill the lighter and bleed off the excess propellant from the lighter. Be sure and watch these to learn how to bleed the lighter, otherwise it will only take on a small amount of fuel because it becomes full of propellant after a couple of refills.
What lighter did you get? I have a Thunderbird butane insert in an old silver Zippo case & a Xikar Pipeline lighter.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I use Vector's butane with my Dupont and haven't had any trouble with it. The Dupont needs a special adapter because it's designed only to fit their crazy expensive single-shot refills, but the cap of the Vector can includes a bunch of tips that I assume fit most standard lighters out there. I ordered the Vector cans from Amazon and they were eligible for the usual, free two-day Prime shipping, so special slow shipping doesn't appear to be a strict requirement.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Need to look for canisters that are 4x or 5x refined. I have ruined many lighters over the years by feeding it inferior fuel. A lesson learned the hard way.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yes the 5x has the Methyl Sulfides knocked out which is the crap they inject in gas to make it smell so you know when you have a leak, it's a cruddy compound and will fowl your lighter. I have bought it from Amazon in a 3 PK, last time I bought a 6PK, it lasts a long time.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I purchased this one from Pipes and Cigars:
Vertigo Puffer Lighter Black.
Its got three tools built inside, a tamper etc and it is wonderful.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
The newer Vector butane is 14 X filtered, and I have had very positive results using it in a variety of lighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.