PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Got passed from one insurance adjuster to another (the burglary thing I mention in another thread). Having to recount the events, the items stolen... reliving that moment when I first walked with cops through my house, seeing the damage.... That's it. I had to go out for fresh air. Picked up my meerschaum from my rally pack on the motorcycle and.... only had a home blend based on butternut burley with me. Damn.
Half bowl. To rinse my mind. Calm down. Stow the anger.
No one at work knew I smoked. Till today. I have heavy Latakia blends on my lunch. I have Seattle Plum Pudding a lot, too, or Crown Achievement. Lately I've been having Hamborger Veermaster, due to a thread here. No one has ever noticed. I figured to them, it must just seem like I have a leathery or musty or earthy cologne or something. Not a peep.
But damn the burley all to hell. When I came back in from the half-bowl break this morning, everyone put their nose in the air and demanded to know who'd been smoking. Then... the lectures started. Oh great. Just what I needed. To hear how "cigarettes" are bad for my health and how I needed to stop.
Cigarettes?
I smelled like a cigarette ashtray.
Do all burleys make you smell like ashtrays or is it just the blend I had? Is that a hallmark of burleys?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Burley is the one ghost I seem to always notice and it does remind me of cigars. I'm sure the Burley smokers don't mind but I can see nonsmokers thinking the smells are the same as cigarettes.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
This day and age, you would have been better off smelling like weed. I have noticed aromatics with high burley content do tend to leave a distinct "cigarette-ish" odor behind.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
When I came home from the hospital, I had several visits from a home health nurse. He arrived for his first visit an hour after I had finished smoking an English tobacco, sniffed the air and said "I smell cigarettes." I told him I was a pipe smoker and he said "it's all the same thing." Wrote on his report that I am a cigarette smoker. These people are unbelievably arrogant!

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I will agree with gtclark, mostly a P&W aro smoker here but on a rare occasion an aro with high Burley I get that too. Ravenswood arrogant yes but I should say ignorant more so or just plain stupid. Going off the post a little but some venting is always good! :oops:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
12pups, I think it may be because it's the 4noggins variety as you mentioned before. I have had no complaints from the wife/anyone else about P&C Scotty's version.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've noticed that certain Burley blends are reminiscent of cigarette smoke - Sir Walter Raleigh, in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.