PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdubk

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
I just bought a tin of Peterson's Sherlock holmes for $55 hoping that I would enjoy it in my missouri meershaum corncob pipe but, sadly I burnt through the bowl in about 5 minutes or less I've smoked out of this pipe before and never had that problem the last blend I smoked was captain blacks. I'm a noob I just started smoking pipes last week, is my pipe damaged? please help a.s.a.p.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If by "burnt through the bowl" you mean that you burned out the bowl of your pipe then I would be inclined to say yes, you have a defunct pipe. If you're referring to smoking the tobacco in 5 minutes, I would say depends. If you fried the bowl then the pipe is probably kindling, or in the case of a cob, compost. If the bowl is not burnt, fried, incinerated, or otherwise turned to ash, and it's just the tobacco, then try another bowl and see if you get a good tasting smoke out of it. If it tastes like Orville Redenbacher after 20 minutes in a microwave, it may be time to buy another burner.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
When you spend to much money on tobacco there is always the risk of spontaneous combustion. :puffy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Obviously, as Cortez pointed out, the OP is simply screwing around. He has his real name listed as Wise Ass, which seems quite apropos.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Use the 55$ add another 30$ to that at least and please please buy your self a good briar pipe. Cobs may be good for somethings but not as a beginner pipe. i don't care what any one says. People smoke cobs like air hogs because they don't care a good briar pipe will teach you how to smoke properly and slowly. Heat is a good indication as to when your smoking to fast. All i can say is buy a briar i can sell you an unsmoked briar pipe for less then 55$ at great quality as im sure many on here can as well.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@phil, yeah I saw he has had two profile names today ... but if this was a "joke" or "prank" it wasn't even a good one. Pretty lame attempt to "get us."

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@cmdrmcbragg Yep... obviously just trying to be funny, or a total jerk. I think he succeeded more so with the later than the former.

kdubk

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
No I'm serious I didn't literally burn the bowl it's self, I mean the tobacco. I live in Canada pipe tobacco is outrageously expensive the first blend I've ever tried was Captain Blacks Royal Blend and that costed me nearly $40. Anyway, I'm just wondering if it's my pipe that's defunct or if i was just smoking too heavily.

kdubk

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
"Use the 55$ add another 30$ to that at least and please please buy your self a good briar pipe. Cobs may be good for somethings but not as a beginner pipe. i don't care what any one says. People smoke cobs like air hogs because they don't care a good briar pipe will teach you how to smoke properly and slowly. Heat is a good indication as to when your smoking to fast. All i can say is buy a briar i can sell you an unsmoked briar pipe for less then 55$ at great quality as im sure many on here can as well."
I might actually be interested about that pipe do you have any pics?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
First of all, kdubk, it's getting a bit difficult to take you seriously. Do you mean that the tobacco was so hot that you burned a hole in the cob in just 5 minutes? That would be tough to do unless you held a blowtorch to the side of the pipe Or, do you mean that you smoked the entire bowl of tobacco in five minutes? If you did that you would have spent the next 30 minutes vomiting., No noob spends $55 on attentive tobacco, even if he's in Canada. And by the way where in Canada are you? I'm one of those whose thinks that you're putting us. Another matter, if I wrote this entire paragraph omitting the punctuation as you did, you would have a hard time understanding what I wrote, just as we are trying to struggle through the gibberish that you're writing. My suspicion: you're a teen, trying to have some fun, and you're going to have a hard time stirring up much interest on the site. Most of the members on this site don't have names like wise ass, and so forth. That's the mark of an immature person and we are noted for being remarkably impatient with this sort of foolishness.
However, if you are over 18, and you are seriously interested in smoking a pipe, how about reading through some of the postings on here where we talk about packing a bowl, sipping slowly etc. I'll give you the three rules that I give to every new pipe smoker, as follows:
1. The tobacco should be much drier than you think it should be.

2. The tobacco should be packed much looser than you think it should be.

3. The pipe should be smoked much slower than you think it should. Sip – don't puff.
If you follow these three very simple rules, you won't be an expert, but at least you'll have a benchmark for getting started as a pipe smoker. Try this, and after a while get back to us to refine your technique.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Mark Sunday pipe on E-bay take a look.

pipe-600x338.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.