Burnt Rubber aroma on new pipe, vulcanite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Received a new and unsmoked pipe yesterday. I noticed straight off the vulcanite stem was far less glossy than I'm used to seeing from new pipes. As soon as I tried the draw I was punched in the face by an overwhelming aroma of burnt rubber. After a light cleaning the aroma was undaunted and a foul aftertaste remained for a long while after merely drawing on the pipe.
The odor seems to be centered around a single point, where the V-groove begins to widen to meet the button.
My initial impression was the vulcanite is oxidized, though I have no experience with this. None of my vulcanite stemmed pipes (new and estate) have exhibited an aroma like this. I'm not sure if the fact that the odor seems to be centered near the V-groove suggests a construction issue like a scorch during drilling, for example.
Any insight?

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
My thoughts about the scorching exactly. I had a new pipe that had the same problem. I just put it down in the dark basement after a good cleaning with everclear for about 6 months. Started to smoke it about 3 weeks ago all is fine.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks Andrew. That put's a new spin on cellaring. On an estate that is something I might be more willing to do.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Well, just chatted with SP about this. I asked the customer service agent to check on a nearly identical pipe, Sebastien Beo billiard. Turns out the other pipe had the same burnt rubber odor. He said this is the first time they've heard of this and he seemed certain that earlier pipes from Beo didn't have this issue.
Total bummer. I liked the pipe otherwise. It was well made with the exception of the stem which, aside from the odor, was the cheapest feeling stem I've ever seen (the stem is kinda the point on this line, isn't it?) and the pipe certainly looked better than they do in the photos, though the pipe I received was not the one pictured.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
They might have been having a bad day when they cast that bunch of vulcanite stems. One thing that separates cast vulcanite stems from stems cut from ebonite is the sulphur content is higher in vulcanite...If you like the pipe, might be worth having someone cut a quality stem...

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Not a bad idea Zack, but for the expense I might more bang for my buck by just paying more for a better overall pipe. Again, kind of a bummer as I was hoping for a deal :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bigpond, at least I can tell you this is rare. I have a number of vulcanite stem pipes, some of them about 40 years old, and have never experienced anything like this.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Well Mso, if you would like to experience the joys of the mustache drag race they have anther dark smooth billiard available...burnt rubber odor comes free! Seriously though, the stems on my older pipes are made of stouter stuff and odor free.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm surprised SP didn't offer some sort of solution to you (refund/exchange) considering the other new pipe in their possession smells of burnt rubber. Do they intend to keep selling these pipes to people knowing some of them emit a fowl odour? :(

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
SP offered to take the pipe back unsmoked, no questions asked. The rep went out of his way to check on the other pipe and volunteered, unequivocally, the pipe had the same issue. A less classy agent and outlet would have been less forthcoming. He also mentioned this was the first time they've experienced this, which I believe. Since the sku numbers on these two are sequential it seems likely this was just a bad batch of preformed stems. I have to say though, the drilling precision throughout is definitely on par with some of my handmades priced at x4 the Beo.
What they are going to do now, I don't know. The other pipe is still available. It's possible this is a common issue with cheap vulcanite pipes and folks are familiar/not fussed by it. In other words, it may be a "me" issue. I've not bought a cheap vulcanite pipe before and am a fairly exacting person with very high standards (my wife says I'm fussy).

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have 2 pipes with vulcanite stems where I get a brunt rubber smell when the stems are heated, say through the vigorous rubbing during cleaning. This smell is faint, and does not translate into the taste of the pipe.
If the smell is just a smell, I would not worry too much about it. However, if the smell translates to the taste of the pipe, then get rid of it.
BTW, I absolutely love my Sébastien Beo pipes, so hopefully this is just an anomaly.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Neil, the stem has a very bitter taste that lingers for a long while. SP won't accept a smoked pipe as a return. I don't think it;s worth the risk. Thanks for your insight :puffpipe:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think this is what eBay is for... :lol:
I have a GBD bulldog, one of my best smokers, that produced the very taste/smell you described.

It turned out to be some kind of contaminant in a tin of Frog Morton, because after a thorough cleaning

the pipe was fine -- and has been ever since. (Never smoked FM again though!)
I have a S. Beo pipe that is just fine, btw.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You say that sp offered to accept a return if the pipe was unsmoked? Yet it was in smoking that you discovered the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.