PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmoo

Lurker
Jun 22, 2018
Hey all, thanks for adding me. Got a few questions but the one I would like to ask for help is this. After my first bowl I was happy I picked up this hobby. Unfortunately everything since then all I taste is burnt. Like I'm smoking nothing twigs. Just burnt biting on the tongue taste.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
What type of tobacco are you smoking? Is it an aromatic or not? It could be that you didn't dry out your tobacco enough and when you don't, you end up basically smoking steamed tobacco and that steam can really bite your tongue and hard. You might also be smoking too fast. If you smoke too fast, the ember burns too hot in the bowl and then your smoke is too hot and not very flavorful. I would first make sure you dry your tobacco more, then slow down on your puff rate. You want to sip your smoke slowly, just enough to keep the ember going. If you find that you need to puff too frequently to keep it lit, then you're either packed too tight, too loose, or you need more drying time on that baccy.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums! Watch out for bnichols...he bites, but not too hard. Plus he's had all his shots, so nothing to worry about there! Happy Smoking! :puffpipe:

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Hello

I have been at this two years, so I am just a newbie, but I found slowing down my puffing waaaay down stopped me from getting a bitter burnt taste from all my smokes. I practiced at just sipping at it until I got a taste for different flavors. Can't say I still don't smoke too fast on occasion, but I can taste the bitterness when I do and that gets to slow it down. I also was overstuffing my pipe.
Hope that helps!
And welcome to the forum.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
All the above is excellent advice. But, it sometimes happens that even when following it, one might still need some time just for the tongue to acclimate to this new experience. Might try a little swill of biotene once in a while until acclimated.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Echoing what has been said: It will take time for you to start picking up flavours, even after proper packing and smoking technique. Don't let the absence of immediate gratification discourage you.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Are you smoking an aromatic? If so, I would suggest to try an english blend. And when you feel comfortable with your technique, try a Virginia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many new pipe smokers just smoke too hard, puff too much. Sipping is the operant word. Stick with what you know are milder blends. I found non-aromatic (not flavored with non-tobacco toppings) to be gentler, though they may seem a little stronger at first. Cadence, not drawing too continuously, helps. Sample around with small quantities of various mild blends. I think you will come to enjoy it. Welcome aboard.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
.... It could be that you didn't dry out your tobacco enough and when you don't, you end up basically smoking steamed tobacco and that steam can really bite your tongue and hard. You might also be smoking too fast. If you smoke too fast, the ember burns too hot in the bowl and then your smoke is too hot and not very flavorful.
This, as CC notes, more than any packing "technique", is on a par with cadence—sipping— as mso notes above.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yeah, could be any of the above, most likely packing or cadence, & a definite probable on drying the tobacco out. Aromatics smell *wonderful* but are almost always too moist & will therefore burn hot. Top of the list-- dry the toback before smoking & it'll solve a lot of ills! :)
As for ccw, worry not; he's only occasionally violent & we let him out every other weekend. -grin-

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
As long as I have a stash of BF, I'm good. Once the ship stops sailing, and the rum runs out...might want to watch out. The rest of the time I'm as harmless as a rattle snake. :twisted:

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Be patient, keep educating yourself and remember to sip, not gulp. It will get better. My first experience, I thought I was going to drown from all the moisture and it seared my tongue so bad I couldn’t taste anything for three days. That was six years , one hundred pipes ago.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Sounds like you’re smoking too hot; try to slow down.
Also, what is your pre-smoke drying technique? Curious what your baccy moisture level is like at the pack

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
One way to gauge if you are smoking too fast is the pipe heating up. If it gets more than warm to the touch then let it cool down a bit. Give it some time. When I started to smoke, all English blends tasted the same but after a bit of time I was able to start tasting the differences between blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.