PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2014
I'm going to ask this question for a couple of reasons 1) I don't know what that is and 2) somebody else might not know. What exactly is burning out a pipe? I have seen it mentioned on here in a few threads and know it happens from smoking too fast and hot but, what is the effect on the pipe? How do you know you damaged it?
I looked for this in the threads and didn't see it but honestly, I am feeling a bit lazy and only scanned 2 pages 8)
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

Jul 29, 2014
That is actually what I pictured in my head when I run across folks mentioning it. You really have to be crankin it out to do that don't ya.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Sometimes on a new pipe when the cherry hits a soft spot, and nothing to do with puffing too fast. See below picture taken after first bowl, Non-aromatic tobacco, and I'm a slow sipper. The carver immediately took care of it. These things happen.
94f99df425865622abea1739a1b2084e_zpsff08ee7b.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I grabbed this image somewhere on this forum I think. Added the text and saved it for myself. A good time to share this. Interesting how a pretty good sized void/soft spot can be hidden even from a trained eye.

Flaws.jpg

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
In over 40 years of pipe smoking I've only had two burn outs.This leads me to believe that even a quality pipe can have a weak spot in the wood and burn through.I don't think it happens very often though.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Thanks for the pics, guys! As a newish smoker I've wondered what a burnout in a pipe looked like. Hopefully I never get to see one in-person!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Never had one yet, touch wood on a meerschaum. I did just remove about 2/8th of an inch of carbon build up from one of my pipes last night. Thats about as exciting as it gets in 'meerschaum world'!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Here's an example of a bad burnout. This is a Nording 20,which I believe is the highest grade Nording.

nording-20-2013-04-07-001-1280x960-600x450.jpg

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Yep, and burnout can also happen when the wall of the tobacco chamber is just too thin. That's not usually a problem with standard pipe shapes, but every once in a while there will be a thin spot on a pipe with an irregular shape. If the pipe gets hot enough before it builds up a cake, you can get burnout.
If you do begin to see the telltale discoloration on the outside of the bowl that precedes a burnout, you can carefully clean the pipe and apply pipe mud to the tobacco chamber. Sometimes this will keep a pipe smokable that would otherwise be ruined. Search for the Pipe Mud Thread on this forum for more information.

tallguy

Lurker
Sep 2, 2014
Whitey thx for the question, has I was as king myself the same questions while reading a few posts.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've only had one pipe burnout in the 13 years I've been smoking. It was a WO Larsen rusticated lovat, one of the first new pipes I bought. But it didn't so much as burn out as recede at the rim, but as this was no doubt from heat, it does fall in this class. I've owned 100 pipes without any other similar degradation, and that's why I am dubious about pipe makers coating the bowl. Even an uncoated bowl's chances to burnout are so small as to be negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.