PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I often burn the roof of my mouth while smoking my pipe. Any suggestions?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Pack more tightly, smoke much slower and drink warm tea whilst piping. Also if your a clencher, like me, move the pipe to a different side of the mouth, or hand hold it more. Lastly, try different blends. I find Latakia blends are less prone to this. Piping should be a pleasurable experience. Hope that helps.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Ditto on that. Take it slow.
Or it might be the quality of the tobacco you are smoking. I went thought that with Mac barren 7seas.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
The previous comments, especially Kashmir's hit all the bases.
I always have a cup of tea while smoking inside. I found it the best thing to drink while smoking.

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Get an asbestos liner for the roof of your mouth! Works great on mine and keeps my breathe fresh as springtime! :rofl:

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I was going to suggest BioTene but roth beat me to the punch. When I first started smoking, it was a frequent occurrence for me even though I "tried" to smoke slowly and dry out the tobacco more. BioTene really helped out a lot and now I only use it occasionally.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard Jazzlover!
All very good advice above.

I noticed that the one word missing from everyone's advice/solutions posted thus far is....STEAM.
Generally speaking, the "mouth burn" is caused by the production of steam.

(It can happen if you attempt to re-light the very bottom of your bowl, in an open draw pipe, as well. I'm sure most of us have sucked on an ember or two at one time or another. 8O )

Keeping that (steam) in mind, may aid you in avoiding it.

You will want to keep the ember as cool as possible.

Drying your tobacco will help with the moisture that is turned to steam.

But, slowing down, keeping the ember as small and cool as possible will reduce the amount of steam produced, and gurgle I might add.

Of course that is simply my opinion, and advice.
:puffy:

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I burned the roof of my mouth a couple times. I used Biotene (the blue one not the green minty one) and by morning it felt almost normal. Dry your tobacco out a little so its not so steamy in the bowl. Slow down on puffing and take small 'sips' to take the tobacco not smoke it like a cigar or cigarette. Also some suggest opening the draught hole in the the pipe. I did it for mine and tounge bite and mouth burn are a thing of the past for me now. Good luck and welcome to the forums!

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Am I the only one who feels like this is a right if passage to being a pipesmoker? I think we all came across some burn in our young days. Hell, I remember knowing my mouth was tore up and still smoking all day, because I wanted to. I eventually realized that I no longer had tongue bit or burn. That's how you separate the real smokers from the hobbyist ;)
In all seriousness, take the advice given. Yeah, you will still burn every now and then, but if you are meant to be a pipe smoker, none of that will matter ;)

rabblerouser

Lurker
Sep 27, 2011
Had a similar problem recently, except that it was the tip of my tongue that got scorched (ow!). Cleaning out my pipe thoroughly seemed to make a big difference - hasn't happened since.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Burning ones mouth is definitely a right of passage for all pipe smokers. I don't know anyone who has not done it in the beginning. Drying your tobacco and packing tighter will definitely help and sipping your pipe and not trying to get huge volumes of smoke will also be of help. Biotene is a must for all pipe smokers in my opinion, it really does work.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
One other thing, if you're using a butane lighter, try switching to matches for the time being. Tobacco burns at about 500 deg C.
Matches burn at about 700 Deg C but butane burns at around 1,977 degrees C. With the typical butane lighter, you would be overheating your tobacco and burning your mouth (esp if you re-light often)

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
One other thing, if you're using a butane lighter, try switching to matches for the time being. Tobacco burns at about 500 deg C.
Matches burn at about 700 Deg C but butane burns at around 1,977 degrees C. With the typical butane lighter, you would be overheating your tobacco and burning your mouth (esp if you re-light often)
I did not know this. I use a Bic lighter b/c I don't really like the taste of a Zippo. I think I'm going to try matches this evening while running deliveries. I have never used matches to light my pipe only cigars. Are wooden matched better then the paper ones? I would think they burn the same :?:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Are wooden matched better then the paper ones?
IMHO, yes, but for me it's mainly personal preference. I don't think the temperature is different.
I still use my butane lighter btw, but I am careful to float the flame well above my tobacco to avoid overheating and if it's convenient, I will sometimes use matches though.

Aug 14, 2012
Wooden matches are best for the first light, then just a touch of a Bic will do it. Are you sure about the 1977 degrees? That might weld aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.