PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I seem to be on a bit of a burley kick right now as I start to move away from aromatics a bit. I've had Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, PA, SWR, CH. I'm looking for suggestions on different burley blends that I can branch out to.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Cornell & Diehl have built much of their reputation on burley blends. I'm not really a fan of their work, but many here are and they produce a ton of different blends that showcase some high-quality leaf (although a number of those blends would be aromatics).
For high-quality burley blends that are non-aromatics, I think your options may be limited -- someone correct me here! -- unless you branch out into burley and burley/Virginia flakes. That is a wonderful world these days.
If you really want to test your love for burley, consider Solani's Aged Burley Flake, one of the few (if not the only) all-burley flakes. I find it a bit harsh, because there's no Virginia to tame it (and I have a fairly low tolerance for nicotine), but it's definitely worth trying. I can also recommend Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake and Gawith Hoggarth's Best Brown #2 (despite the unfortunate name! :) ).
You might also be interested in the Navy Flake category, which typically involves adding a touch of rum to a Virginia/burley flake. I particularly enjoy Samuel Gawith's Navy Flake. And despite it's name, Gawith Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake is also a non-aromatic Virginia/burley flake that also includes a tiny bit of latakia, a dusting of cocoa, and a touch of whiskey. It's quite good, and the added flavors are only lightly present; if you didn't know they were there, you might not even notice them.
Of course, there's also Esoterica's Stonehaven, but that's very hard to find. The only other Esoterica non-aromatic with burley that comes to mind is Tilbury, but that's primarily a Virginia with a touch of burley.
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I will second MacB Burley London. I would also suggest exploring some of the Hearth & Home blends - Beverwyck has perique and latakia in it,while Capitol Stairs has perique. Old Companion is a burley/virginia blend. I like Beverwyck the best of this trio, although CS was close behind, as was OC.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
roth, you are some kind of prophet...
Wessex Burley Slices as per our past Edgeworth conversation.
Five star blend.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I've been smoking C&D Old Joe Krantz alot lately but another one I picked up and smoke only a little less than alot is the Altadis match of Union Leader. It basically tastes like PA however it does not have that kinda chemically taste that turned me off from the blend. I've been thinking of it as PA as it used to be (although I have never had it as it used to be, I am only using my imagination).

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I really enjoy GLP Barbary Coast.

5 Brothers is good too but has a pretty good nic hit.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
I lied and went with Peretti's BPC instead since I realized I had some and hadn't tried it yet.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The following blends have Kentucky and or burley in them but it is not the dominant tobacco. I have all of these in stock and cellar them all except the Peterson University, Perfect Plug and Jackknife plug. Those three I am still testing to see if they make the grade.
GL Pease Navigator

Stonehaven

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Solani Silver Flake

GL Pease JackKnife Plug

Peterson Irish Flake

Peterson University Flake

Peterson's Perfect Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.