Burley Suggestions Anyone?

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by brdavidson
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I seem to be on a bit of a burley kick right now as I start to move away from aromatics a bit. I've had Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, PA, SWR, CH. I'm looking for suggestions on different burley blends that I can branch out to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cornell & Diehl have built much of their reputation on burley blends. I'm not really a fan of their work, but many here are and they produce a ton of different blends that showcase some high-quality leaf (although a number of those blends would be aromatics).

For high-quality burley blends that are non-aromatics, I think your options may be limited -- someone correct me here! -- unless you branch out into burley and burley/Virginia flakes. That is a wonderful world these days.

If you really want to test your love for burley, consider Solani's Aged Burley Flake, one of the few (if not the only) all-burley flakes. I find it a bit harsh, because there's no Virginia to tame it (and I have a fairly low tolerance for nicotine), but it's definitely worth trying. I can also recommend Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake and Gawith Hoggarth's Best Brown #2 (despite the unfortunate name! ).

You might also be interested in the Navy Flake category, which typically involves adding a touch of rum to a Virginia/burley flake. I particularly enjoy Samuel Gawith's Navy Flake. And despite it's name, Gawith Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake is also a non-aromatic Virginia/burley flake that also includes a tiny bit of latakia, a dusting of cocoa, and a touch of whiskey. It's quite good, and the added flavors are only lightly present; if you didn't know they were there, you might not even notice them.

Of course, there's also Esoterica's Stonehaven, but that's very hard to find. The only other Esoterica non-aromatic with burley that comes to mind is Tilbury, but that's primarily a Virginia with a touch of burley.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boswell’s Premium Burley

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FIVE BROTHERS

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

waymon

Login to Send PM

C&D's Old Joe Krantz
    Wessex Burley Sliced
    H&H Burley Kake

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Bob's right -- a lot of burely blends are aromatics and many are what I'd call "crossovers" and it's sometimes difficult to know this because all too often, they don't advertise these as an aromatic. We have to carefully scour the reviews themselves for these pipe tobaccos to get some idea.

The highest quality non-aromatic burley I've smoked is the Solani Aged Burley Flake. It's quite good and most burley lovers rave about it, but for some reason it didn't wow me. Give it a try though, definitely top quality and a nice smoke.

Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired flake has a lot of Dark Fired Kentucky in it and it's hugely popular. Some members here have 20, 30, even 50+ tins in their cellar. No surprise, it can be hard to find ATM. I bought two tins of it; smoked one, tossed the other in the cellar.

Mac Baren also has the Burley London Blend, been around for years, in the rotation for many, and is widely available.

Other burley-forward Mac Baren blends include Dark Twist Roll Cake and Golden Extra.

L.J. Peretti in Boston has some top-notch stuff; their Somerset Slice and BPC, some say, are both incomparable.

Uhle's got some great burleys too -- Perfection Plug a non-aro, comes to mind, as well as a Uhle's light aro called Crushed White Burley.

I did try Wessex Burley Broadcut (which I reviewed here recently); it is mostly burley with some virginia cavendish and a molasses casing -- while not an aromatic, some might call it a crossover.

Since you're an Edgeworth fan, you may want to try Wessex Burley Slices; Simenon loves it; from what I understand, it has the same or similar molasses casing as the Wessex Burley Broadcut, but less of it, and comes in flakes. I'll likely add a tin to my next order.

There. That should get you going in your search

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, thanks for all the input fellows! Why do I feel another TAD attack coming on?

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Four burley based blends I enjoy:

GL Pease Barbary Coast
    H&H Angler's Dream
    MacBaren Golden Extra
    MacBaren Burley London Blend

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will second MacB Burley London. I would also suggest exploring some of the Hearth & Home blends - Beverwyck has perique and latakia in it,while Capitol Stairs has perique. Old Companion is a burley/virginia blend. I like Beverwyck the best of this trio, although CS was close behind, as was OC.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MacBaren Burley London Blend, Five Brothers

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

roth, you are some kind of prophet...

Wessex Burley Slices as per our past Edgeworth conversation.

Five star blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking C&D Old Joe Krantz alot lately but another one I picked up and smoke only a little less than alot is the Altadis match of Union Leader. It basically tastes like PA however it does not have that kinda chemically taste that turned me off from the blend. I've been thinking of it as PA as it used to be (although I have never had it as it used to be, I am only using my imagination).

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Solani's ABF, outstanding smoke

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

Hmm. Maybe I should fire up some of that Peretti's Somerset Slices.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy GLP Barbary Coast.
    5 Brothers is good too but has a pretty good nic hit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

I lied and went with Peretti's BPC instead since I realized I had some and hadn't tried it yet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D Big and Burley is a dandy one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The following blends have Kentucky and or burley in them but it is not the dominant tobacco. I have all of these in stock and cellar them all except the Peterson University, Perfect Plug and Jackknife plug. Those three I am still testing to see if they make the grade.

GL Pease Navigator
    Stonehaven
    Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
    Solani Silver Flake
    GL Pease JackKnife Plug
    Peterson Irish Flake
    Peterson University Flake
    Peterson's Perfect Plug

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   judcole, petes03, retrogasm, gamxiaoyuan, mrenglish, michiganlover, eightywon, scpiper1, newbroom, flakyjakey, lucky695, klause, peckinpahhombre, natibo