Burley Makes Me Loopy. I Just Want To Lie Down For Awhile.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Wow! I am such a lightweight when it comes to Burley blends. I just finished a bowl of C&D Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose and I just want to lie down and take a nap. This also happened when I smoked some 19 year old Mac Barens Symphony, C&D Burley Flake #5 and C&D Dreams of Kadath. I ended up selling the Symphony and sent another forum member the Burley Flake #5 and Dreams of Kadath (they were Chicago Pipe Show samples). This only happens with Burley blends...must be the high nicotine. I'm not smoking on an empty stomach and I usually drink water or iced tea while I smoke.
Does this happen to anyone else?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It gets better. I am digging Burley blends lately. It wasn't always like that. I had similar symptoms as yours at first. Now it's all good.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
No, you're not alone. I can smoke bowl after bowl of virginia flake and vapers and be fine, so I don't consider myself to be a nic lightweight but I have to be careful with burley too. My favorite pipe loaded with Aged Burley Flake instead of any vaper or virginia flake leaves me a little urpy. Dreams of Kadath did the same thing to me too, although I did smoke a couple big bowls back to back because it was good.
Recently I bought 3 big cigars on a whim - haven't had a cigar in years. It took 3 hours to smoke one and I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially about midway through but I should have stopped there. I gave the other two away. I'll be content as a nic lightweight and smoke burley in small bowls. Aged Burley Flake is good stuff and I'll keep it around for a change of pace, I just can't overdo it.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Chasing Embers said: "Once again, jealous. No nic hits here." Try some 5 Brothers if you are looking for a nic hit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's wrong with me? I'm not much of a nic addict. My mom never bought a pack of cigarettes that didn't go stale; mostly she liked to gesture dramatically when smoking, but apparently didn't get hung on the nicotine at all. My dad smoked Granger daily, most of the day, for decades. I just like most burley leaf, single leaf or blends, including Semois Tabac-Manil and so-called American English blends with burley. I guess there are burley blends I don't like, but few. I like non-burley English, Virginias, Va/Per, and other genres, but burley just stands out for me, makes me feel like I'm home. Big meals make me groggy. More than a drink or two -- beer, wine, bourbon -- can make me sleepy. But burley just sets me up. It's just individual chemistry, I guess.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
C&D #1 Burley. I only smoke this now in a small bowl and on a full stomach.Made the mistake of smoking this in a large pipe,fully loaded,and with a wide open draw,prior to leaving for work @ 0530 in the morning.........my head was swimming by the time I got to the interstate 264,about six miles from home.If smoked again in a large pipe,it will be on a full stomach,not a couple slices of toast and jam.And I thought I was a veteran smoker.you learn something new every day.GREAT flavor,all the same.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Try some Five Brothers, that should settle you down. Just a nice smooth dark burley smoke. :puffy:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Getting jacked up on some C&D Burley Flake #3 right now. Slow and easy in a tall morta.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.