PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i have stocked up on the discontinued burley london blend but thought i would try the golden extra as recommended here in place of the blb.

the golden extra is harsh & very unsweet nothing like blb but the tin aroma is about the same.

the blb is pleasant & sweet but not the ge - the ge tin was well sealed with a strong suction so it was not compromised.
any ideas ?? thanks

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I'm sorry to say it, but we are both out of luck. BLB is one of the best blends I've ever smoked. To me it is like Prince Albert, that smokes much slower, richer mouth feel, and a tad bit more punch.
Sad, indeed that it is discontinued. Sir Walter Raleigh is also similar, but I find the chocolate notes to be more similar to PA, even if the two are very different as to the cut of tobacco and burning qualities.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I go back and forth between preferring Golden Extra and BLB, but love both. Surprised BLB is being discontinued. It's such a great tobacco. I suppose Mac Baren has done their research so I guess it's not as popular as I assumed it to be.

May 31, 2012
You can usually find older tins of GE on the auction site for cheap,

and old aged GE is a golden toasty delight for sure,

I highly recco smokin' summa the old stuff.
But I love BLB too, sad to see it go.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I had only tried BLB last year for the first time and loved it. So, I have some tins in the cellar that I've added since. I just noticed 4noggins was out though, that might be the end...?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Judging by past experience, don't be surprised if you see versions of the discontinued MacBaren blends pop up one of these days.

Reactions: archerdarkpint

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have some BLB in the cellar, and enjoy the occasional bowl. I've not tried Golden Extra yet, but I put a couple tins of it in the cellar based on Jim's review. I'll get around to trying it one of these days I'm sure.

I've tried many Mac Baren blends, and cellar a lot of them. If Golden Extra is anything like my other Mac B's, I'm sure I'll like it. Mac Baren has not disappointed me yet!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I haven't smoked either enough to render a strong opinion. Slowly working through a tin of Golden Extra - mostly to break in a couple of new pipes. I was disappointed in GE after the first few bowls but I am developing an appreciation for it now. I think I prefer Grey Havens to both. It is not dissimilar to me but has a more satisfying taste.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Smokertruck - I had the same experience. I love BLB and tried the Golden Extra and found the Golden Extra to be harsh and unpleasant. I only bought an ounce in bulk from Pipes and Cigars, though, and it arrived very dry. I can't imagine why BLB has been discontinued, as it seems to be very popular. I hope to find something similar. Sounds like we may have similar tastes, so you might try Newminster 84 Oriental. To me it is nutty like a burley and a little sweet from a bit of Virginia. Only thing is about mid bowl it took a turn to an ashy, peppery flavor I didn't enjoy. I hope to get some that isn't so dry and try different pipes to get it dialed in, because the first third of the bowl is fantastic in my opinion. I also bought this in bulk, and it arrived very dry.
Peace,

Bill

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MacBaren discontinued several blends that they felt weren't strong enough sellers in the foreign market. They are going to have new releases some time in the future. But as I said before, I figure somebody will match the blends cancelled at some point. For myself, I much prefer BLB over Golden Extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.