PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Dear All,
I hope you can give some advise since I've come across an online seller who has a some Burley grade BST2 for sale, which I'm interested in. Will it be suitable for smoking in a pipe with out further treatment?
Thank you.
Br. Martin

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Not likely ! You are probably looking at cured leaf, so that much has been done. The next step is processing, which can involve a little or a lot. It can take aging, toasting, bulk curing, cutting, casing, allowing flavors to marry, applying top notes, and blending with other tobaccos before it is a finished product.

I imagine what you found is smokable, but probably has little resemblance to a finished pipe tobacco product. May not smoke that great, probably really heavy fairly boring smoke, and may smoke pretty harsh. Even in the old days they had ways to process leaf after it was cured, to make it more enjoyable. A lot of tobacco was probably smoked in the state this leaf is in, but a lot of other stuff used to suck too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
lonestar's probably right. You could ask for a 1 ounce sample and see what condition it's in, and try it in a small bowl and see how it is. Some air dried burley sold in places like Haiti and Puerto Rico is aged and though strong isn't harsh, though high nic. I'd be tentative and take it in a small dose and see how it sets. For this, the Group 1 and 2, small bowls, were made.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
What is the price?

Most whole leaf sells for about $15.00/pound. Ask them what year the crop is from. If it is from 2015 or earlier it will be fine to smoke. 2016 will need another year. You will also need to consider how you will shred it. Without a shredder (a pasta cutter works well) you can roll it into a little cigar and use a knife to cut little slivers.
It is a good opportunity to try "real" tobacco. Most people, when talking about a blend will often say something along the lines of.."it is a high quality tobacco or I can detect no topping.." etc. Well, if you've never smoked pure tobacco leaf then you can't tell me the stuff you are smoking is high quality or has no toppings.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Most whole leaf sells for about $15.00/pound. Ask them what year the crop is from. If it is from 2015 or earlier it will be fine to smoke.
Agreed ... if you can get it at a good price it's worth trying.
If it's not agreeable "as is", it can be easily toasted and cased to mellow it out.
Where is this crop from?

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Hi Again. Sorry, I've been busy at work. Thank you for all your replies! I've asked for a sample, but the seller rejected. He is selling 800 pounds so I'm not in for the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.