Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Burley For The Evening Only Smoker

(22 posts)
  1. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

I’m finding in this modern world I only have time for an evening smoke and I want it it to be fore filling. For me that means a decent Nic hit. I am finding more and more that means a good burley blend. I have watched a few of Matches360 blogs on YouTube and in one of those he says he is a “burley guy”. I am find that I am starting lean this way as well. Plenty of smoke and a nice relaxing pipe experience. Any of you found this too?

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of haunted bookshop. I have one of those horn-stemmed Ropps that I always smoke it in. The pair found each other early into the pipe's life and now are monogamous. Something about the small bowl - not so much for the length of the smoke or the nic hit - but to me that sharpness of the flavor, absolutely lovely. Reminds me I have one bowl left of my current tin . . . must be going now...

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I like the taste of burley but with all my tobacco I produce very little smoke. My nic tolerance is through the roof and I've never gotten a nic hit from smoking a pipe.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 3 months ago #
  4. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Burley has been underrated for quite some time now, and I'm a hardcore Burley guy. My main smoke is Cornell & Diehl's Three Friars.

Much like Duane, a misspent youth chewing tobacco has left me impervious to nicotine, so I can't say about the nic-hit of various Burley blends, but the flavor is fantastic.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a Burley smoker and at night I usually switch to a low nicotine blend because strong blends tend to keep me up at bedtime. I reserve the strong blends for morning when the strong blend and some black coffee get my heart started.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

Burley is the true faith of piping! Latakia blends and Virginias have their merits and are worthy of consideration, but, there is no substitute for burley.

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 3 months ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D Burley Flake #1 is a great bedtime smoke for me. It has such a strong burley aroma that it is almost like a cigar. Love it.

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a devoted burley smoker. I like other base tobaccos and blends and enjoy them a lot, but burley is central to me in my rotation. Interestingly, I don't seem to be that nicotine dependent. I enjoy a nicotine buzz when it arrives but almost never choose a blend for that purpose. Likewise, when I have to lay off pipe smoking for a cold or some other healing process, I don't have nicotine withdrawal at all. So burley has its charms with and without its nicotine dose. I love C&D and its special way with burley as a base tobacco and as a condiment and in various blends. C&D played a major role in rediscovering burley as a leaf for premium blends and not just a codger leaf.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not a fan of straight burley blends but do enjoy a number of vaburs. I would recommend trying Peterson Irish Flake and Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. Both of these have a good nicotine level with the IF being the stronger of the 2.

Harris
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have gone through the typical evolution of Latakia then Virginia then VaPer. I prefer the later. But I had to eventually be honest with myself. I was "trying" to be a Virginia smoker. I felt that was the pinnacle of pipe smoking and what a refined guy should like. Eventually I realized that my favorites blends, my honest blends, then ones I truly want to smoke, are Burley based, either Burley flake or VaBurs. Then one day it hit, "damnit, I'm a Burley guy." I still enjoy and smoke all categories, but Burly is what my palate prefers.

Neal
    Posted 3 months ago #
  11. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This has been a very informative thread. I've tended to shy away from burleys and only smoked Va's and VaPers. This has made me think my next order should include a few VaBurs at least to see how I feel about them.

-Home At Sea
    Posted 3 months ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't like categorizing myself or pigeonholing... I just like what is good. I think that once you open up to what burley can offer, and the many different types of burleys, you can come to appreciate many of the blends by C&D. Most of my favorites by them aren't straight burley or Virginia, but a mix. Virginia can bring a natural sweetness, and burley can bring a range of flavors, making for an oatmealy or nutty or even woodsy flavors, making a great balanced all natural range of flavors.

Of course, Burley Flake #1 is the outlier.
    It brings da Funk to the party, ain't no funk like a burley funk, for when ya wants to get funked up. Let me hear ya now...

All natural habit forming... straight from the mothership. all natural funk!!

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's no universal summary, but there's some truth in the saying that some like/love burley; some dislike it; and some can't taste it. I'm mostly in the group that likes it a lot.

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I would have to agree. I find myself trying to appreciate English and Vaper blends and do enjoy them. Then I go back to Scotty's Butternut Burley and remember why I smoke a pipe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For Burley I enjoy:

C&D Old Joe Krantz/Haunted Bookshop
    Wessex Burley Slices
    HU Dockworker

I see a lot of people mention 3P’s as a Burley blend and while it does have Burley in it, it tastes much more VA forward to me. Granted I would choose 3P’s above the ones mentioned any day of the week but I’m just a Plug happy sunnuva gun.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

robcapp

Login to Send PM

Great post, Neal. Exactly my experiences... I still smoke and quite enjoy everything... but on my desert island, I'm stocked up with Solani Silver Flake and ABF!

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love a burley blend. Haunted Bookshop is a favorite for sure.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m probably a Virginia guy if I had to categorize myself, but GLP Barbary Coast and Mac Baren HH Burley Flake were love at first smoke for me

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Haha Cosmic has the ‘bama B-Funk going! Funkadelic. Cosmic Funklore!!

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Knock yourself out with a large bowl of Five Brothers.

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

Some interesting feedback above. I have just cracked my first tin of CD Haunted Bookshop and am loving that. Quite a dry ribbon from the tin. Hopefully some OJK should arrive soon and am looking forward to trying that as well.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. dntrose

dntrose

Login to Send PM

I've found that old dark fired is very satisfying and I get one heckuva nic hit from it. After smoking ODK and English blend I find I'm losing all taste from my aromatics, is that a normal occurrence?

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dontbeaburleyman, alaskanpiper, trouttimes, krizzose, mossdoug, jpmcwjr, pipeanddrum, prndl, tolkienfan, ukbob, metzmo, dmcmtk, elasmo, jeremystafford