Burley Flake Advice Needed

(32 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by krizzose
  • Latest reply from georgebmcclelland
  1. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m thinking of trying a few of the burley flakes out there. I’m not a fan of too much DFK (though a little bit is fine), however, and I like my burley blends on the sweeter side. How would you rank the various burley flakes by sweetness? Thanks!

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

Well, I’m new and clearly haven’t tried a ton of them but I have to say I’m CRAZY about Mac Baren HH Burley Flake. I don’t find it to be extremely sweet.

Posted 7 months ago #
  3. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1

HH Burley Flake is wonderful. It has now moved up to all-time-favorites list. And it is readily available vs Solani Aged Burley Flake, which is also good. Both are just right in the natural sweetness department, IMHO. I can't rank them per se, because those are the only two burley flakes I smoke.

Neal
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

I'm still a newbie but it seems I like burley because I have really enjoyed Stonehaven, HH burley flake, Solani aged burley flake, and Peterson Irish flake.

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you'll find most sweet tasting burleys have a bit of a topping/casing to them. I think Wessex Burley Slices and Solani Aged Burley Flake have toppings. I know the Solani does, my taster says Wessex does as well. And I don't really care much for either despite these two being quite popular.

I found Uhle's 00 to be nice, I think no topping (or if so, very, very slight) and it has a slight sweet taste. They have a White Burley blend that has a sweet note as well. I also found some sweetness with Watch City Slices and their Deluxe Crumb Cut. I think the crumb cut has some Cavendish in it so that would explain the sweetness there.

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great, thanks guys. I don’t mind a little topping, as long as it’s not too aggressive

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not flake, but Peterson 3P plug, Va/burley, is excellent to me. I'm devoted to burley in its various forms.

Posted 7 months ago #
  8. ernieq

ernieq

Login to Send PM

Every single Burley has casing. Many have top notes. You wouldn't want to smoke straight uncased Burley...been there... As far as Sweetness goes you might look at

Mac Baren Burley (London Blend) IF you can find a tin...it was discontinued, but luckily
    Mac Baren Golden Extra
    Wessex Burley Slice
    Solani Aged Burley Flake
    Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

The first two are on the sweeter side, the second two have sweet undertones and the last is not-so-sweet. I just can't seem to find a taste for Mac Baren's new Burley Flake...

Ask 10 pipe smokers the same question and you'll get 12 different answers...

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These burley flakes crack me up. You want a burley, you go to C&D, masters of the MF burley. Burley Flake #1. Not these weak-assed, limp-wristed... no no no, I have to keep reminding myself, that I cannot berate folks who like aromatics, watered down burley flakes, or pink pipes. There's nothing at all wrong here. It's me. I'm the one with the problem... carry on.

Michael
    Posted 7 months ago #
  10. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got a tin of Burley Flake #1 in the living room tobacco trunk but haven't tried it yet. How does compare to Solani Aged Burley Flake?

Tim
    Posted 7 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How does compare to Solani Aged Burley Flake?

The first thing that you will realize is whether you should ever post in one of our annual "Real Man" threads here on pipesmagazine. The second thing you will realize is that Solani is the bubblegum version of burley. And, if you aren't careful, the third thing could be the color of the mixed up meals you have eaten for the last 8 hours as it splashes on your shoes.

It is pure, unadulterated burley. Tasty, like a fat cigar. Not, one of those sissy Cuban things, but like cigars real men smoke, construction workers, policemen, Indians, truck drivers... wait a minute... Macho macho man...

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My palate lacks the experience and sophistication of other forum members but I've enjoyed HU Dockworker. It has some sweetness to it and doesn't have any casing however it is mixed with Virginia and oriental.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 7 months ago #
  13. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How does compare to Solani Aged Burley Flake?
    I was hoping for a response from Cosmic, and it did not disappoint.

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The first thing that you will realize is whether you should ever post in one of our annual "Real Man" threads here on pipesmagazine. The second thing you will realize is that Solani is the bubblegum version of burley. And, if you aren't careful, the third thing could be the color of the mixed up meals you have eaten for the last 8 hours as it splashes on your shoes. [:puffy:]

It is pure, unadulterated burley. Tasty, like a fat cigar. Not, one of those sissy Cuban things, but like cigars real men smoke, construction workers, policemen, Indians, truck drivers... wait a minute... Macho macho man...

Hmmm. I'll use a small bowl and see how it goes. I'm not sure what my deal is with burley vs a stronger virginia blend, like in Royal Yacht. RY doesn't give me trouble but I've had burley take away my appetite for dinner. Solani hasn't done that but then again I'm not packing huge bowls either.

Posted 7 months ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Timt, I have noticed something counter-intuitive about strong blends. If you get a sick feeling from smoking a strong blend in a narrow chambered pipe, then try smoking it in your widest chambered pipe. For me, I get more robust flavor, yet milder affects from the nicotine using my largest pipes. It isn't something that seems like it should be that way, but for some unexplained reason, it works that way for me. Give it a shot. You will get deeper more cigar-like flavors from your tobacco also.

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, nibbling on chocolate helps keep me from hitting that sugar drop that makes you feel nauseous.

Posted 7 months ago #
  17. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is pure, unadulterated burley. Tasty, like a fat cigar.

Is burley and cigar tobacco similar? The last cigar I smoked made me spin a little. It happened to be a large one and I was smoking it for 3 hours - that may have been the issue I suppose.

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cigars are basically just fermented burleys.

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

Burley tobacco is the primary component of cigarettes and chewing tobacco, but I have never smoked a burley cigar.

Posted 7 months ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, Virginias are the primary tobacco for cigarettes. This is why the acidity is impurtant in Virginias, as it helps in absoprion of the nicotine through the lungs with cigs, but the acid hinders absorption through the mouth with pipes. But, burley is blended in for most cigarette blends in the US. Canada and some other countries prohibit burleys in cigarettes. And, what cigar is not a burley? The only difference between the tobaccos used in cigars is that it has been fermented or color cured.

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wessex Burley Slice has a molasses topping. It is bittersweet at times. I think it is the best burley flake out there but I am biased against the stronger blends.

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

Cigars typically use corojo and criollo. Criollo leaf was growing in Cuba before Columbus whereas burley was a strain that originated from KY/OH. There are many other varieties used in cigars such as Sumatra, Cameroon, Mata Fina, Arapiraca, Broadleaf, Shade, San Andres, and pelo de oro... none of which are burleys.

Posted 7 months ago #
  23. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

I usually take my burley intravenously injected, as soon as I wake up. I'd highly recommend it, really knocks you back in the ol' rocking chair.

But yeah, all the Mac Baren HH flakes I've tried have been awesome. I still need to try out Burley Flake #1.

Posted 7 months ago #
  24. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wessex Burley Slice and Solani Aged Burley Flake are my two favorites

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love me some HH Burley Flake...finally got a line on the pound boxes.

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I love all these listed but I always have to throw in Peretti 333. Not a Flake but more of a crumble cake and delicious.

Nate
    Posted 7 months ago #
  27. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I've been slow to warm up to burley. I tried ODF and it wasn't my thing. Solani ABF is fantastic though. I really want to try the HH Burley Flake next.

Posted 7 months ago #
  28. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't help myself,but I love Burleys,and Blends like ODF,Revor Plug,Solani Aged,are my first choice for my after meal smokes.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 7 months ago #
  29. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

HH Burley Flake is good but it is less sweet than Wessex Burley Slice, for example.

It is important to note that WBS is not a sweet blend overall but like black coffee it can have some sweet notes among the darker roastier flavours. One is more likely to pick out the sweeter side with experience and continued enjoyment of the blend as opposed to on the first try.

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

Wessex BS has a molasses note. ABF is more cocoa. Both great. I prefer Wessex for the natural sweetness.

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

On an unhelpful side note, if you're someone like myself (perhaps a lumberjack or a grizzly bear, etc.) who does like Kentucky Dark Fired, and you haven't tried HH Bold Kentucky, then you should definitely get some. It is amazing. I guess that depending on who's spewing out facts, KDF either is or is not, could or could may not be technically a Burley. I read somewhere that the farmers consider it a separate leaf, but whatever. I don't really care what they call it, call it GDG, God-Dern'-Good, that's what it is. I usually just get the pound box, bite off the right amount (alot) and spit it out into the cob.

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

But also, on a slightly less un-helpful note, HH Old Dark Fired really is way more mellow than Bold Kentucky, and I'd give it a shot if you like sweet Burley. It's probably got more Burley than Kentucky in it. Still gosh-dern' good, just won't add any extra hairs on your nips. I'm actually puffin' on some right now, and I'm getting lots of sweetness. With what I consider a classic tobacco flavor, not quite full, I'm also tasting a little molasses, a little fruit (yes, it is citrus, but some other fruit as well) from the Virginia, some hickory-smoked jerky.. or is it honey-smoked ham? Also wheat, maybe a fence post... or an unpainted barn door? Maybe? Again, it's delicious.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mikethompson, kylef, tbradsim1, eddiegrob, morgansteele