PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I have recently been smoking Peterson's University Flake.

It is great!
However, I have no other experiences with non-aro blends with burley. Can you recommend burley blends, where the characteristics of the burley is clearly present?

I suspect the topping may cover something....or?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Cornell and Diehl Burley Flake # 2 has full-on burley flavor. Wessex Burley Slice has lots of dark burley flavor, but is moderately cased. Uhle's Blend 00 is a nutty burley ribbon with perhaps a tiny bit of sugar casing.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Peter heinricks dark strong kentucky and solani old aged ... the two best I have ever tried

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Not a problem. There are plenty of good burley blends on the market and several great ones. Few are strictly burley (which has a nutty, unsweetened cocoa-like flavor on its own)
The top-tier burley is usually considered to be Solani's Aged Burley Flake. It's pure burley, although it's processed in such a way that it's hardly representative of burley. Other great candidates would be Prince Albert and Carter Hall. Of course, the company that has done the most with burley in recent years is Cornell and Diehl, who have a whole stable of great burley blends including a whole series of strong flakes that use condimental amounts of virginia, perique or latakia. Haunted Bookshop is also very popular, while my all-time favorite smoke is Old Joe Krantz, which is a powerful concoction of burleys and perique with a little VA for sweetness.
If you like aros, I would highly recommend Hearth and Home's Classic Burley Kake. While this is an aromatic, the flavoring agents are prepared in such a way as to enhance the tobacco's flavor instead of covering it up.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Mac Baren's Burley London Blend is a superb burley, tempered with a touch of Virginia and an extremely light topping of maple syrup (just enough to sugar the leaf). Man, somebody should do a review of that stuff....

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Quite a bit of those OTC blends are burley, like PA, H&H, SWR, Granger . . . 'lower' end then those flakes probably.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I love burley. I've smoked everything mentioned except Peter H. And the Milan blend, plus many more. My favorite remains Carter Hall. What can I say?

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I love burley the way some love Virginia blends. MacBaren Golden Extra is a favorite of mine, but I agree with all the previous posts. Also another thumbs up to a few of the OTC blends such as Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh. Not the best tobacco money can buy, but they sure are tasty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably not so helpful in Denmark, but for a burley to mix/blend for impromptu smokes (I just mix it

in a bowl for a pipe bowl or three, not for aging/storing) I find Lanes Ltd. Burley Without Bite works well with

Va, Perique, Latakia, Cavendish, or on its own. In the OTC category, Granger is a favorite, with Half and

Half being good too. Bought some Carter Hall to try, but haven't yet. I'm okay with some of the OTC brands

that are not widely favored on Forums, though Dunhill Mixture 965 is a mainstay for me. Back to Burley,

I think some people taste it and enjoy it, and others find it pretty taste-free. 'Tastes good to me.

May 31, 2012
You can make us all jealous by smoking Singleton and then telling us how great it is!

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=124#.UYrGPcqy5mM
Or perhaps try the MOB Edgeworth version

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=82#.UYrHDsqy5mM
MOB Dark Flake sounds good too

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=81#.UYrGycqy5mM
and it looks like they still have some Orlik Dark Kentucky still in stock

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=134#.UYrHVMqy5mM
But you can't go wrong with Mac Baren Golden Blend or BLB!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I haven't yet smoked very many burley blends, but I love UF and would also highly recommend GLP Cumberland.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Unfortunately, I cannot get GLP blends here.

There is an online store in Switzerland but as it is outside EU I think there may be a customs issue...
I'll try the MacBaren recommendations!

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I understand that the tobacco needs some casing and/or topping.

UF is very tasty, but I need to understand what comes from the natural tobacco and what comes from the casing/topping. :)
I think Burley London Blend will be included in my next order.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite Va/Burley blends are Esoterica Stonehaven, Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, Solani Silver Flake, Peterson Irish Flake and University Flake. I tried Solani Aged Burley but did not care for it, straight burley I guess is not my thing.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I have a tin of Irish Flake.

Do you guys think that's good enough to learn the character of burley? Or should I opt for Mac Baren Burley London Blend?
I will certainly keep Uni Flake in stock, but, as I said, I need to experience the taste of burley and I suspect the topping of UF hides it... Please enlighten me.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Irish Flake has burley in it, but the overwhelming flavor is of the dark fired Kentucky (a relative of burley that is cured by hardwood fires). Plus, there's a light anise topping. Irish Flake is good, especially if you like really strong flavored, high-nicotine tobaccos, but it's not good for learning the taste of burley. The MacBaren blends, Cornell & Diehl Burley Flakes, or the drugstore blends like Prince Albert are the way to go to understand what burley is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.