PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've deliberately steered away from Burley OTC Blends because I had my tongue, mouth and throat absolutely trashed by Burley Superstars Motzek Strang and ODF, just to name a few.
So I learned how to smoke and enjoy VaPers and Virginias, being very careful to really study Burley content.
A while back I tried Prince Albert and really enjoyed it. Now I'm working my way through the OTC Catalog and all it encompasses. This week was Velvet and next week its Lane Ready Rubbed.
Not only can I smoke several bowls a day, think 8-10, I can smoke right through a pouch.
Needless to say, my cellar is going to be thinned and fattened back up.
Burley, what say you?

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Captain black white pouch gave me a good throat kicking first few bowls but im maybe 5 bowls and 6 beers deep seems to be coming around

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I love it...Carter Hall is my favorite OTC and one of 7 in my regular rotation. Says it is a burley/va blend on the package...but you can tell its nearly all burley. It's smooth, burns very nice...although I can't prove it, it does seem to be cased with a little sugar, but not much even if it is, and no flavors...it's just a nice, clean smoke.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Here's the description
Carter Hall is a benchmark for OTC tobacco. Mellow Burleys are cross-cut and blended with some flake-cut Virginias and finished with a subtle top note. This cool-smoking blend has been part of the American pipe-smoking landscape for decades and delivers a comforting, bite-free experience; an ideal all-day smoke.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Let's stick to codger tobacco. Less fuel for the fire, as OTC puts us in the public eye. :wink: I love burley. Alone, in blends, lightly flavored, but not heavily cased. I am making my way through the midtown series from H&H currently, and smoke many of the original codger blends, too. Keep in mind, these blends were largely for the guys who smoked one tobacco, all day every day. They are designed to be smoked frequently throughout the day.

Sep 18, 2015
Love me some Burley! I don’t remember ever getting bitten from it, might be the only genre I can say that about!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Mmmmm, burley
Enough said
+1 … Well, almost...the only burley I remember having some unpleasant bite or irritation from was a Mac Baren blend...but that was a long time ago and may have been due to my cadence at the time.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
It used to be an OTC....Edward G. Robinson Pipe Blend. Burley/Virginia/ with a very small touch of Latakia. The Latakia is so far in the background that I don't even notice it. This is definitely a Burley forward blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up with a dad who smoked Granger all the time. I like many genres of blends, but I admit burley is central. I like it as the base. I like single leaf like Five Brothers, or the Belgium variant Semois cuts. I like it as a condiment in English blends nearly always. I like a wide range of C&D burley blends. All my tongue bite and burn have come from aromatics. Full-strength leaf is almost always okay unflavored. I seldom go for nicotine, but enjoy a little buzz when it happens. Burley can be polarizing. Some love it unconditionally, which approximates my tastes. Some enjoy selected blends but others not at all. And some people risk throwing up just by lighting up. I honor all of those experiences, since I have to smoke aromatics with high selectivity. Happy adventures to you, with burley ... lovely stuff to me.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Surprised to hear you say that ODF trashed you. For the longest time I'd been on a primarily burley-based blend kick, but now have moved away from that to a red virginia base.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
irish', I'm venturing into Va and Va/Per, but slowly. There are many excellent blends, and I enjoy them, but the siren call of burley is strong. I have some excellent Virginia based, Va/Pers, and Va-inclusive on hand; right now enjoying PS LNF, a nice aged batch I've had jarred. But Semois in the pipe!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
For a long time I tried to not be a burley guy. Honestly, I felt like one had to aspire to be a Virginia flake lover in order to be a refined pipe tobacco smoker. So it went, and so I smoked, and along the way I met some great Virginia flakes, a few bad Balkan players, some English scoundrels, and an aromatic with a particularly bad attitude. After a while I realized that I was in fact a burley guy. I love the stuff. Especially burley flakes without topping/flavoring. Now I own it, my name is Neal and I'm a burley-holic.

thedbs999

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2018
Wheeling, WV
I can't smoke any right now as it's time for dinner, but I opened up my pouch of Carter Hall and took a couple deep inhales. Man does it smell good.
Dan

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
CH, PA, Angler's Dream, HH Burley Flake, ODF, Watch City Slices, ABF, Middleton Apple, all of them find love with me.
refined pipe tobacco smoker
There's no such thing. :mrgreen:

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Burley and Best both start with a 'B.' Coincidence? I think not! Reveling in the greatness of old school blends is one of life's great pleasures.
Cheers,
Chili

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Oh yes, I'm certainly starting to really enjoy my ODF more now. I'm just cube cutting it and it's been a joy of a smoke in my Peterson Christmas 999. Carter Hall is exceptional too and I know what you mean about opening it up and smelling all that burley goodness. I really want to also buy myself some Boswell's Premium Burley. It's really good stuff. The next one I want to try is the Mac Baren HH Burley Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.