BURLEY ??!! %$@#&%!!

(48 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by ashdigger
  • Latest reply from Panhandler
  1. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've deliberately steered away from Burley OTC Blends because I had my tongue, mouth and throat absolutely trashed by Burley Superstars Motzek Strang and ODF, just to name a few.

So I learned how to smoke and enjoy VaPers and Virginias, being very careful to really study Burley content.

A while back I tried Prince Albert and really enjoyed it. Now I'm working my way through the OTC Catalog and all it encompasses. This week was Velvet and next week its Lane Ready Rubbed.

Not only can I smoke several bowls a day, think 8-10, I can smoke right through a pouch.

Needless to say, my cellar is going to be thinned and fattened back up.

Burley, what say you?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 7 months ago #
  2. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mmmmm, burley

Enough said

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Captain black white pouch gave me a good throat kicking first few bowls but im maybe 5 bowls and 6 beers deep seems to be coming around

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

I love it...Carter Hall is my favorite OTC and one of 7 in my regular rotation. Says it is a burley/va blend on the package...but you can tell its nearly all burley. It's smooth, burns very nice...although I can't prove it, it does seem to be cased with a little sugar, but not much even if it is, and no flavors...it's just a nice, clean smoke.

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 7 months ago #
  5. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

Here's the description

Carter Hall is a benchmark for OTC tobacco. Mellow Burleys are cross-cut and blended with some flake-cut Virginias and finished with a subtle top note. This cool-smoking blend has been part of the American pipe-smoking landscape for decades and delivers a comforting, bite-free experience; an ideal all-day smoke.

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a pouch of Carter Hall that lives in my truck now....its good stuff.

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let's stick to codger tobacco. Less fuel for the fire, as OTC puts us in the public eye. I love burley. Alone, in blends, lightly flavored, but not heavily cased. I am making my way through the midtown series from H&H currently, and smoke many of the original codger blends, too. Keep in mind, these blends were largely for the guys who smoked one tobacco, all day every day. They are designed to be smoked frequently throughout the day.

Posted 7 months ago #
  8. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love me some Burley! I don’t remember ever getting bitten from it, might be the only genre I can say that about!

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mmmmm, burley

Enough said

+1 … Well, almost...the only burley I remember having some unpleasant bite or irritation from was a Mac Baren blend...but that was a long time ago and may have been due to my cadence at the time.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 7 months ago #
  10. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It used to be an OTC....Edward G. Robinson Pipe Blend. Burley/Virginia/ with a very small touch of Latakia. The Latakia is so far in the background that I don't even notice it. This is definitely a Burley forward blend.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I grew up with a dad who smoked Granger all the time. I like many genres of blends, but I admit burley is central. I like it as the base. I like single leaf like Five Brothers, or the Belgium variant Semois cuts. I like it as a condiment in English blends nearly always. I like a wide range of C&D burley blends. All my tongue bite and burn have come from aromatics. Full-strength leaf is almost always okay unflavored. I seldom go for nicotine, but enjoy a little buzz when it happens. Burley can be polarizing. Some love it unconditionally, which approximates my tastes. Some enjoy selected blends but others not at all. And some people risk throwing up just by lighting up. I honor all of those experiences, since I have to smoke aromatics with high selectivity. Happy adventures to you, with burley ... lovely stuff to me.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Surprised to hear you say that ODF trashed you. For the longest time I'd been on a primarily burley-based blend kick, but now have moved away from that to a red virginia base.

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

irish', I'm venturing into Va and Va/Per, but slowly. There are many excellent blends, and I enjoy them, but the siren call of burley is strong. I have some excellent Virginia based, Va/Pers, and Va-inclusive on hand; right now enjoying PS LNF, a nice aged batch I've had jarred. But Semois in the pipe!

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a long time I tried to not be a burley guy. Honestly, I felt like one had to aspire to be a Virginia flake lover in order to be a refined pipe tobacco smoker. So it went, and so I smoked, and along the way I met some great Virginia flakes, a few bad Balkan players, some English scoundrels, and an aromatic with a particularly bad attitude. After a while I realized that I was in fact a burley guy. I love the stuff. Especially burley flakes without topping/flavoring. Now I own it, my name is Neal and I'm a burley-holic.

Neal
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

thedbs999

Login to Send PM

I can't smoke any right now as it's time for dinner, but I opened up my pouch of Carter Hall and took a couple deep inhales. Man does it smell good.

Dan

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

CH, PA, Angler's Dream, HH Burley Flake, ODF, Watch City Slices, ABF, Middleton Apple, all of them find love with me.

refined pipe tobacco smoker

There's no such thing.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 7 months ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Embers

I see you finally gave up the chase.

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I see you finally gave up the chase.

That screen name was a smoking technique, but after a few forum typos I sounded like a stalker.

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. chilipalmer

chilipalmer

Login to Send PM

Burley and Best both start with a 'B.' Coincidence? I think not! Reveling in the greatness of old school blends is one of life's great pleasures.

Cheers,

Chili

“Pipe: a primary masculine symbol with authoritarian overtones but also indicative of reliability and contentment.”
    -The Dictionary of Visual Language, 1980
    Posted 7 months ago #
  20. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh yes, I'm certainly starting to really enjoy my ODF more now. I'm just cube cutting it and it's been a joy of a smoke in my Peterson Christmas 999. Carter Hall is exceptional too and I know what you mean about opening it up and smelling all that burley goodness. I really want to also buy myself some Boswell's Premium Burley. It's really good stuff. The next one I want to try is the Mac Baren HH Burley Flake.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m not a “Burley guy” as many blends are a bit rough on the throat IME. That being said there are so many variations in leaf and processing that there are wonderful blends out there if you’re willing to do some exploring. Watch City has some excellent Burley blends like Slices and Deluxe Crumb. C&D Pegasus is great, especially with a few years on it. P&C Classic Burley Kake is another winner. Carter Hall is also enjoyable.

So many blends, so little time.

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren offers Symphony and Golden Extra. Two great Burley blends that taste nutty and chocolatey. Simply awesome.

Dot
    Posted 7 months ago #
  23. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to wholeheartedly agree with that Watch City recommendation and a shout out to Cortez for mentioning it to someone else in another thread (I was eavesdropping). That Deluxe Crumb Cut is pretty tasty - among others.

Tim
    Posted 7 months ago #
  24. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I generally like Burley and always have some Carter Hall on hand. Although, having said that, I find C&D burleys rather harsh on my throat. I tried to love Pegasus, but my love was unrequited. Conversely, Solani Aged Burley Flake hits all the characteristics of what a high quality burley advertises and is not a bit harsh. I still find myself more attracted to virginias and VaPers, though. To me, virginias have a more varied and interesting flavor profile that keeps me coming back.

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

I'm another that's prone to finding burley blends prone to being a little harsh on my throat, sometimes I don't feel it when I'm smoking the blend but I end up with a sore throat later. Mostly it's not an issue as I'm not the biggest fan of burley blends so I tend to avoid them but I loved McQuiad plug flavor but it was like smoking sandpaper

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. codecreatively

Code

Login to Send PM

If you haven’t already, try some Old Joe Krantz. To me, it’s like a codger blend with finer leaf. Pack, light, and go. No fuss.

Posted 7 months ago #
  27. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well,to be honest if there wasn't burley blends out there, I'd be in deep water'Ok sometimes these regular medium forte' burleys may be a bit harsh on the throat,but so what?At least the do not bite.If there weren't Burley forward blend available ,would I have been keeping on smoking pipes?Thats a question to ponder,at least there are some pretty descent Va-Kentuckies and some VaBurs that may satisfy my needs.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 7 months ago #
  28. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, in general, I don't like the taste of most burley blends, especially C&D Burley blends. That's a shame because I smoked 6 to 8 bowls per day. Not the end of the world for me as I like the sweet flavors of VA, VaPer and English blends. Who knows, perhaps my tastes will change or evolve to where I come to enjoy the burley blends.

Posted 7 months ago #
  29. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find Old Dark Fired pretty sweet.

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find Old Dark Fired pretty sweet.

Me too. But it isn't a straight burley either. It has a fair amount of Virginia.

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you haven’t already, try some Old Joe Krantz.

+1 … I wish I had tried it much sooner...been really enjoying it lately.

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OJK is currently my favorite morning smoke with coffee.

Posted 7 months ago #
  33. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a tub of Carter Hall on hand at all times. Not one has ever dried out on me. I can and do smoke only CH all day many days. I have many treasures in many jars. But CH is a steady friend. I fear to lose some blends, we just lost some. But I actually believe in my lifetime anyway Carter Hall will be here. PA, OJK, again pretty damn good. Something about those blends, Coger blends, that satisfy all day long. YMMV.

Posted 7 months ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

Love Burley. Top three right now are Mac Baren HH Burley Flake, H&H Chatham Manor, and Carter Hall. In that order.

Posted 7 months ago #
  35. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are Chatham Manor and Carter Hall Matches?

Posted 7 months ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

Burley is ok in right circumstances, like ODF toasted burley or Chathom Manor with that delish topping.

Posted 7 months ago #
  37. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just smoked some Lane Limited Ready Rubbed. I'm sold!!

Posted 7 months ago #
  38. franbo

franbo

Login to Send PM

Peretti in Boston has an entire selection of burley, old school type tobacco. My favorite is Cuban Blend for straight burley type. Fairly complex but sweet enough too. Pease Barbary Coast is an interesting choice or you might try Haddo’s Delight for a Va/Per/Burley treat. As well or a Virginia / Burley flake like Peterson University Flake may bridge you to burley. I generally prefer burley in the hotter months.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." -George Washington to the Continental Congress, 1776
    Posted 7 months ago #
  39. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are Chatham Manor and Carter Hall Matches?

The former is a match for the latter.

I've been dying to try Chatham Manor, but the duties for a tube would be prohibitive.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 7 months ago #
  40. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm enjoying some C&D Burley Flake #3 right now. I, too, have been hitting the OJK a lot lately.

But, the perique overshadows the burley in that one, for me. I still enjoy it. I just think of perique before burley when I do.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  41. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I loves me some Burley!

Posted 7 months ago #
  42. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But, the perique overshadows the burley in that one, for me. I still enjoy it. I just think of perique before burley when I do.

Yeah, the perique does get your attention with OJK...but that's one of the things I love about it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

I've been dying to try Chatham Manor, but the duties for a tube would be prohibitive.

It is the best smelling tobacco in the world

Posted 7 months ago #
  44. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Burley's my favorite leaf as mentioned in an earlier post on this thread. I did omit one category in how people react to burley. Some pretty much love it. Some like selected blends. Others don't like any of it, tend to throw up. One other category -- some really don't taste it much, kind of like cardboard or tissue paper. Some of these folks might cultivate a taste for it, but it may never be a "fav." I'm learning nuances of Virginias, sipping it more and reflecting "deeply." Burley has always rung my bell.

Posted 7 months ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After initially not being appreciative of it, I am now really enjoying Chatham Manor. I will be buying another tub soon.

Posted 7 months ago #
  46. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke any straight burley's. I enjoy a number of Vaburs and have the following in my cellar in no particular order.

Solani Silver Flake
    Peterson Perfect Plug
    GL Pease Navigator
    Petersons Irish Flake
    Peterson University Flake
    Esoterica Stonehaven
    Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
    Wallace Flake
    Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
    Savinelli Doblone d'Oro - Vabur with Perique

Harris
    Posted 7 months ago #
  47. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cigarmaster, I find burley an excellent condiment in other blends that adds balance to a Virginia base, and/or Orientals and other leaf. It adds a good dimension to English blends as well.

Posted 7 months ago #
  48. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Burley, especially Solani 656 and HH Burley Flake knocked me right off the Latakia train.

Old Dark Fired is like a heroin addiction.

Carter Hall and Prince Albert by the tub. Mixes great with every damn thing.

I'm definitely a huge burley fan.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper