PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've enjoyed Virginia leaf improving with age on a number of occasions. It really evolves and improves, even when it started out very good. As a rule of thumb, I've always thought that Virginia ages and burley keeps well. Here lately, going back to my stash of D&R Two Timer, I find it seems to have mellowed and sweetened, and lost some of its fresh over-toasted taste. It was a good nutty two-burley twice-toasted blend to begin with, but now it seems to be better. I'm not proclaiming anything new based on this one experience, but as much as I love burley, single leaf, burley blends, and burley in blends with other tobaccos, I'd never noticed this beneficial aging effect with burley before. Maybe it's just my good imagination. Or maybe it's my long experience with burley rewarding my loyalty.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
My fresh lb of Crooner is definitely fresh. I am going to start keeping a lb back to take that too fresh component off of it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've heard good things about aged Edgeworth. Hoping my many jars of Lane Ready Rubbed will cellar as well as Edgeworth did/does.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, let's keep track of various burley blends and if they improve with time. We might be onto something here.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Hey, let's keep track of various burley blends and if they improve with time. We might be onto something here
By 2021, I will have cellared a more than sufficient amount of Lane RR for long-term experimentation :puffy:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Last year I found a tin of C&D Pegasus in my cellar that was at least 7 years old. It had a smoothness and light richness not present in the recent bulk. Whether this is due only to age or different batches on the component leaf I couldn’t say. I do know that Pegasus smooths out after a year in the jar so I’ve cellared a couple of pounds in the hope that time will continue to improve it further.
Based on my experience with other burly blends, mellowing with moderate age seems to be hit or miss.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Surely there has to be something to this, hence Solani Aged Burley Flake?
That’s gotta be one of the smoothest burlies I’ve ever smoked.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Preposterous! If that Burley has more than a year on it don't waste your time, send it to me and I'll reimburse shipping. ABF is a marketing gimmick, they don't say it's x many years aged, just that it's aged. My leftover coffee has aged since the morning, big whoop. But seriously, Burley tastes like cardboard or something, nobody wants that, everybody keep their focus on Latakia now, okay?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've often said, burley, some love it; some hate it; some can't taste it at all.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Take my Latakias, take my Virginias, my Turkish, my Cavendish and Perique.
But touch my Burley and it’s on!
A good stock of a simple Burley like P. Stokkebye’s 312 and a handful of cobs? I’ll be just fine!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Hey, let's keep track of various burley blends and if they improve with time.
I'm on it, MSO! I'll report on these in a few months.
burley-450x600.jpg

I'll do the same with the bulk Picayune and the 5 Brothers I've got coming in the mail.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This deserves a reconsideration. It's anecdotal, but so is all pipe smoking.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Mso, I think you are correct about burley getting better with age. Back in January, I opened a 2015 tin of Solani 656 and it was much better than I remember when I first purchased the tins. I found the same improvements on most of my Cornell & Diehl burly blends. As you said, a few years in a jar seemed to heighten the flavors. I just brushed it off as my taste buds changing. Maybe its time to pick up some more burley's?

Status
Not open for further replies.