PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I cannot remember where I heard this. I want to say it means low temp get the best flavor from burley. My other thought is that it refers to who some OTC blends aren't great when you light them but are when then get going.
Anyone else heard this or have and idea what it may be referring to?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never heard it, and I'm a big burley fan. I'd guess it is recommending using a "soft" flame like a match instead of a lighter on burley. People get good with a lighter and can use it skillfully, but the idea to go easy and let the heat rather than the flame do the lighting is good advice, probably for most blends, not just burley.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think I remember reading that in one of the many threads. Yes, I think it refers to burley tasting bad if it's scorched, and so to light the pipe similar to a cigar, in which the flame never actually makes contact with the tobacco.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’ve heard “Nature Abhors A Vacuum”.

This is most certainly true, as I killed a Shop Vac trying to suck up fall leaves.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm just now getting into Burley blends. I've made it a habit to light all my blends by drawing the flame into the bowl and not just shoving the flame inside on the tobacco, so I haven't personally experienced Burley abhor'ing flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.