PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

countryboy

Lurker
Oct 14, 2017
I'm a burley fan but only have old joe Frantz and carter hall.im ready to order some tobacco any suggestions. Thinking about haunted book shop.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
HH Burley Flake

Watch City Slices

Pegasus

Old Dark Fired

Burley Flake No.2

Tabac Manil Semois

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
War Horse Ready Cut was my intro to good Burley based blends.

I like it a lot.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Wisdom of the crowd works for me most of the time
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Burley+Based&Rating=Highly+Recommended&ReviewCount=50

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you're enjoying the C&D line of burley's you should try Big n' Burley. It's smooth but strong. Exactly what you want in a burley smoke. Lots of nicotine, easy on the tongue, smooth and tasty.

I'm sure those high dollar tinned burley flakes are wonderful too, I am committed to bulk buys.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Somewhere along your burley journey I would try John Patton's Storm Front (4noggins.com).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a fast-burning boost or as a condiment added to other leaf, a pouch or two of Five Brothers is always good to have. Edward G. Robinson and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue are good tobacco forward aros. And C&D's whole catalog has an array of burley blends of various kinds; you just have to prowl through that long list of blends and see what looks good to you, besides Old Joe Krantz. Like Billy Budd with cigar leaf and Lat, Big 'n Burley, Dark Burley, Riverboat Gambler, and many more. C&D is the prime user of burley in blends.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Haunted Book Shop is very similar to Old Joe Krantz, just milder in both nicotine and flavor, for the most part. You will probably find it redundant. So if you're trying to explore Burley blends you might spend your money elsewhere, for now.
If you like OJK, then D&R's Two Timer Gold is a Burley based blend you might enjoy (altho it is different).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
G L Pease's Barbary Coast, Navigator, and Montgomery should all be on your "must try" list of Burley blends -- though they are more boutique than codger style blends. Their signature clarity will help you to focus on how Burley works in a blend.
C&D's series, Burley Flake #'s 1 - 5 would keep you busy for a long time too!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you remain devoted to burley, you will probably enjoy Tabac-Manil Semois, medium or thick cut. This is a Belgium grown burley variant. It ships in a big rectangular foil package, very dry but therefore a lot of tobacco for the weight. It's sold by our online retailers. It's a full-strength fairly fast burning leaf with high nicotine. One Forums member said it made him throw up and he sent me his package (and a tin of something else, and a magnificent pipe), since I'd said I like Semois. I still do. It's one leaf I've kept on hand after I smoked through the gift package.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
My favourite smokes are from burley forward blends. Both the new HH Burley Flake and HH Bold Kentucky are two very fine smokes; I will even combine them according to my mood. Worth a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.