PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghelp

Lurker
Jan 15, 2013
Ok I've never tried burley and just recieved a couple tins of it.

My question is should I smoke it in my English or VA pipes or should it have its own?

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Plain burley does not leave a bad ghost. I am picky though about pipes and what I smoke in each one. Mainly because when smoking a new blend I want to understand it. This can get complicated when smoking out of pipes devoted to "types" of tobaccos. If I had to choose I would rather smoke Burley from VA devoted pipes rather than those used exclusively for English blends. Then again, how will you learn your own preferences unless you just try it. Give it go. See what works best for you. Happy puffing!
P.S. - Sometimes ghosted pipes can add an interesting twinge to a bland tobacco.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
If you have enough to spare then burleys certainly deserve their own pipe.
Like Virginias, burleys can have fairly subtle flavours.
Latakia swamps a pipe completely. Burley would be lost in a pipe reserved for English blends.
I agree with rhogg that burley does not leave much of a ghost in and of itself, therefore it is a great tobacco for breaking in pipes that you have not decided to dedicate to anything. It is also good for eventually exorcising ghosts...

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I enjoy this Burley. McClelland X10 Burley Ribbon- Unflavored. This extremely mild blend is great to smoke indoors. It doesn't smell up the house. This is all Burley.
Another great indoor non-smelling blend is Samuel Gawith Turkish Blend. This is extremely close to the X10 Burley.
Both are good for your last pipe of the day. That's when I enjoy these to unwind with. Like now at 11:PM reading the forum.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Peretti's BPC is my Burley of Choice these days. I have yet to try Solani Aged Burley Flake, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.