PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
On assignment up in northern Minnesota since yesterday, I had taken my wife and stepson with me. We'd boarded our two dogs, not trusting anyone to let them out, feed them on schedule. Nice little two-and-a-half-day trip.
Job wrapped up today, so I had just now come in from a relaxing, record-setting (time-wise) session nursing a bowl at the smoking table behind the motel, all pleased with myself, how long I got that bowl to last. Eyes half-closed, sitting with my wife, bliss.
Then my wife got a call from my step-daughter. She had come in to put our mail on the dining room table, her second visit to the house that day, and saw the gun cabinet door was wide open, lock busted off. She'd run back outside to call the police, afraid to go back in.
After they had checked the entire premises, they talked to me on the phone.
Only the handgun (stored in the bottom section of the cabinet out of sight), was gone. That's a 1st generation Ruger Single Six I inherited from my father. All the long arms were still there, including my oldest son's 30 aught six we keep for him.
I directed them to find the loaded .357 under my mattress in my bedroom. Gone. My wife's S&W Shield in the closet, top shelf, cased... gone. But my three muzzleloading rifles... still there. They were passing up long guns and bows (wall full of mounted bows, both recurves and compounds).
Our liquor cabinet in the kitchen... its cabinet locks pried to deformity with hammer claws... opened and cleared out.
Surely they didn't know about a big chest downstairs in the basement behind the chimney that had my reloading equipment in it. All three doors, their locks intact but pried off at the hinges... top and middle shelf, they said, were cleaned out. Eight pounds of powder. Can't begin to say how many rounds of ammo.
A big tool chest, locked, that I have my keepsakes in, on the weight lifting bench, has my extra cigars, some knick knacks I want to sell on eBay, and a couple cased/locked/empty handguns I was going to give to my son (now that he's rejoining civilian life), open, broken lock hanging from it. Only the two handguns are gone: Browning Buckmark and a Ruger P-series 40 Auto I "retired" some time ago. No one knew they were in there. No one I can think of. Not even my wife.
Garage door busted open. Steel door and lock, but wooden casement. First table... most of my briar pipes. I had just cleaned them all before the trip. Left them out drying, to be ready when I came home. Gone.
I won't know what else is gone till I get back, but the police say it looks like the work of someone who knows us. They looked like they were in a hurry, and they were selecting small, easy-to-carry and conceal items... mostly interested in the guns.
But... how in the world did they find them all? What the hell? No one knew where I kept the ones that weren't in the case. It makes me sick. Not even my wife knew where the "retired" handguns were kept... or the .357 beneath the mattress.
I won't know everything that's missing until I get home. But it's the guns, of course, that bother me. Now I'm a statistic. I feel as though I betrayed my fellow 2nd Amendment proponents because I never raised the money for one of those big safes. I've researched them over and over. But they're so much money, I thought, and my collection is so small. And I live in a crappy little house that no professional would want to "hit." Not worth it. Plus... my dogs are big and loud and have the run of the house. My private little security team.
I wasn't thinking when we left. I basically "disarmed" my home's security by boarding the dogs and taking my wife and son with me. We had our adult daughter checking on it a couple times a day. I'd left lights on. My truck was still int he driveway. My motorcycle is parked in my usual spot. To a stranger, it doesn't look as though we left.
Yet someone was watching. Has to be someone who knew us or caught wind of opportunity. Someone seized that opportunity.
And I nonchalantly created it, becoming an example to be used in the next gun control debate. Where are my guns? Kids have them? Being sold? An undocumented Mexican friend had begged me to sell him a handgun a few weeks back (I let him know how serious a violation that was, and that I wouldn't do time for him, no matter how good of friends we were. Was it him?)
Sitting here. Sick to my stomach. Counting hours till daylight and hitting the road. Wondering about just driving through the night to get home instead...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's terrible, but I agree.......inside job.
+1 ... they knew exactly what they were looking for AND to keep looking for more.
Sorry this happened to you Joseph and I hope they can catch the bastard!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Makes me sick to my stomach reading this. My heart goes out to you, and don't blame yourself. I have never gone through this (knock on wood), but as I read your post I realized how vulnerable we are here. What pisses me off is that some punk will sell your family heirlooms for (probably) drug money. I hope and pray they catch the low life, scum who did this. I cannot stand a thief. I hope you can recover your items, and to me, too, it seems like someone you knew did this. Keep your chin up, friend.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Damn, man, that's a real tough break. For sure it was someone with knowledge of you, your house and your belongings. Came through with duffle bags and took everything that was easy to toss into one. Your head is going to spin trying to figure out "whodunit." Let the cops do their work and hopefully they come through.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
So sorry to hear this. It's terrible enough that it happened but made even worse by the implications. Hope the catch the bastard/s.

Jul 15, 2011
While I haven't been in this exact situation, I used to think that the neighborhood we lived in was pretty peaceful. But the other night, some dumbasses decided to steal a car and go around firing shots on our block. We had the window open and heard the shots but I didn't want to believe that's what it was. Read the paper two days later and found out that it was indeed gunshots. We weren't hurt, but the truth of the matter is that this sort of thing can happen anywhere. My prayers go out to you, it's an awful thing to go through, and I hope that whoever is responsible is brought to justice.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't own any firearms, nor do we have booze, I've also never been burglarized (thankfully) so I can't begin to imagine what this is like for you. I sincerely hope they catch whomever is behind this, but I think you're right. Your instincts, which are often ignored, are telling you that someone you know and knows you well was, at the very least, the one who made this possible. Perhaps they didn't intend for you to be a victim. Maybe they told an acquaintance of theirs about your collection, innocently. But, I have a feeling that this wasn't the case.
Either way, I hope you get your stuff back. Obviously, anything recovered will be in the police property collection for a while.
What a shitty thing to happen to anyone, but especially to one of my brothers on here. My heart goes out to you and your family.
-Jason

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Someone who felt your pipes were valuable -- just another possible angle. Might help to watch online auctions.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. The sense of violation must be awful.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Joe:
I am so sorry to hear this.
The heaters will be kept or sold on the street. Your pipes might be offered at the local pawn shops but I'll bet they won't be taken. The good thing is that the shop owners will remember them being offered.
I know it ain't much, pal, but it might turn into something.
Odd, I can see the bad guys passing on the bows, but the longarms staying put puzzles me. If they'd steal your reloading gear, powder and ammo why wouldn't they take the rifles? Also, the missing booze makes me think they might've been young - or younger.
Aside from the sense of being violated, I'm sorriest that you lost your dad's six gun. That would cut me to the quick.
I'll keep a good thought out there that your local PD can catch a break and get lucky as hell.
Fnord

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It makes me physically sick to hear this happened to you. It must have been a neighbor or acquaintance.
I dread something like this might happen to me. I've got the serial numbers and pictures of my firearms backed up on the cloud in case they are stolen. It could happen to anybody so I hope you aren't so hard on yourself. I'm hoping you get everything back intact.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Tuold ---
Maybe posting this makes some other folks do a quick list of their own gun serial numbers. It was the first thing the police said they'd need from me when I got home: the serial numbers of my missing guns.
Keep thinking of my stepdaughter, too, what a jolt that must have been for her -- and that she was smart enough to exit immediately and call the police. That feeling that, "Oh my god -- someone has been here and might be here right now."
Gotta wake the wife and kid now. Time to get on the road.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Joe, That is just crappy. Sorry it happend, but maybe they will find out who it was. I also agree someone was scoping you out.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Look close, when my son was in High School he asked if Iwanted to buy a Winchester Model 61& 63, told him where you gonna get them? He told me my friends Daddy is a gun collector and gave them to him. Long story short I bought both of them for 250$, but it bothered me, something was not right, a few weeks he came to me and said Dad I think my friend stole them from his Dad. I informed myself and called the Dad, asked you got 2 missing 22s, pregnant pause, YES, told him well I got them, paid 250$ to your Son, tell me where you live and I"ll bring them back. I"ll never forget his words, Keep them Mr Simon he's just gonna steal them again. Son came back from school and I told him never, never Pal around with that boy, you are known by the company you keep. It's closer than you think.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Sorry to hear it pups, that is truly aweful. Hopefully, the police will be able to find the bastard that violated your home. Keep an eye on local pawn shops. Most crooks aren't smart enough not to show a fake ID when they pawn guns and other pilfered items. Here's hoping that it all comes back to you.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
12pups,
Really sorry to hear about your misfortune. It really is a sickening feeling and I know what you mean when you say that you're sick to your stomach. I had two break-ins myself back in the 90's and in both instances the thieves stole guns and electronics. Fortunately, the last time it happened a neighbor happened to see a strange car parked at my house and as soon as the punks saw him looking in their direction they quickly fled. They made off with a Ruger .45 Auto pistol I had near the side of my bed and they had also broken into my gun cabinet and were in the process of piling the shotguns and rifles next to the door but fortunately left these after they had been spotted and fled. I never did find out who burglarized the house I was renting during the 1st burglary, but the 2nd time I found out later that it was committed by some punks whose mother worked part-time at the same business where my father worked (she was on welfare and at the time she had to work part-time to keep her welfare check). She knew not only when my father who lives next door to me was at work, but also when I was at work as well. So this info she had passed on to her good-for-nothing sons who took advantage of the info. They eventually ran out of luck when they burglarized the home of one of my father's other co-workers and while fleeing the home they ran off the road and got stuck and just happened to be seen by two off-duty state troopers who were hunting nearby and caught them red-handed with the goods in the back seat of their car. Hopefully, the police will be able to find the punk or punks quickly that burglarized your home and be able to recover all of your stolen items.

Status
Not open for further replies.