Pipes Magazine » Food & Drink - Restaurants and at Home - Recipes Too

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Burgers

(57 posts)
  1. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was Watching the idiot box and the goldern arches had an ad for a kiwi burger. its basically a big mac with beetroot and egg. Anyway i was wondering do other countries do this?
    B.T.W its really good on a homemade burger.

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. nzpiper

nzpiper

Login to Send PM

I've seen a "McArabia" in Saudi, basically a wrap with local lamb!?

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I am wondering if they do a localised thing you know like a mushy pie and piemaccas for the brits etc

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. bubbadreier

Bubba

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to eat Shrimp burgers at Wendy's in Japan all the time!

Mason jars and bale top jars, mason jars and bale top jars.... that is all!

"There’s truth in the statement that pipe tobacco will never be any less expensive than it is today, so think of your cellar as a cost averaged investment" - G.L. Pease
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Egg and chips . Yes. Beetroot burger is something I haven't tried.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually recommend it unc A nice greasy pattie, lettuce, cheese two slices of beetroot and a soft fried egg. on a toasted bun.
    Oh and onions, tom sauce heaven in heart attack

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Here in Texas we have something like 4 of the 10 fattest cities in the US. We just like our burgers with more bacon, cheese and meat than should be consumed in a week by most small families.

Oddly, McNasty is releasing a Texas Burger in Japan.

BK did run a "Texas Double Whopper", a 1050 calorie burger.

I eat at a local chain here in North Texas called JC's Burger House. It is unparallelled in Burger goodness.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Next thing we know the all knowing nannies in Washington will try to take this away too.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

And HERE it is...

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well they can Kiss My Irish Arse!

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dont know if anyone here has ever eaten at Meatheads, but they offer a quality burger at great prices, plus they give you a metric ton of hand cut fries, and, as an added bonus, they consider an extra beef patty a topping! Score!

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Hamburgers are one of the best inventions ever! I had one for lunch yesterday and now I want another one because of this thread.

The only localized menu item I've experienced at McDonald's would be the Lobster Burger in Maine. When I travel overseas, I usually avoid American chains in order to experience the local places.

Do you know what they call a Big Mac in France?

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. lordnoble

lordnoble

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Baron, I'd like to point out that the article you linked was from 2009 and FORMER NYS Governor David Paterson (Blind POS) was the moron behind that fiasco. Thank god it mostly failed.

Kevin, if my memory of Pulp Fiction serves, it is Le Big Mac... And a quarter pounder with cheese is a Royale with cheese.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 7 years ago #
  14. nathaniel

Nathaniel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In Costa Rica where I grew up, they serve beans and rice (the staple food) and fried chicken at all the fast food joints. Plus, all of them are 2 stories high and the ones like KFC and Taco bell have kids play places too. I've never seen that here stateside.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McD's in Kuala Lumpur had a surprisingly tasty pepper sundae when I last visited--vanilla soft-serve with a sweet & HOT red pepper sauce. Also a "people's burger" that was a pork patty and some sort of sweet & sour sauce. Thailand has the McPork. In Laos you can buy drugs at the counter (perhaps a non-sanctioned activity).
    While I'm not a fan of McD or any behemoth chain, I do enjoy seeing the localized take on cuisine once it's been through a corporate think tank.

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Good answer Jason. And what do they call a Whopper?

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I've only had McDonald's like once in the last six months. Been trying to lose weight and eat better. Now if I have a burger out I usually hit Carl's Jr. and get the 480 calorie turkey burger or I'll spoil myself at Landry's (it's a seafood place that has the best burgers in Vegas). Not sure what a Vegas burger would be. Maybe a pattie, cheese, tomato, lettuce, and a bankruptcy notice on a seasame seed bun.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lol, bankruptcy note...

In Hong Kong, I stopped into a Pizza Hut, and found a few odd toppings...salmon comes to mind. Here in B.C., we've got a chain called White Spot, much better than anything that McDonalds or Wendy's has to offer. They still do the old-style car-hop service, where you park out back and they bring a tray out to your car (or, if you choose, you can eat inside/take-off).

Fried eggs belong on burgers!

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And what do they call a Whopper?

A Whopper!

Snus, snuff and briar.
    Not much more required in a day.
    Brian from Oregon USA
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. clanobucklin

clanobucklin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend to hit any decent hamburger joint no matter where I go. We have an In and Out buger in town plus an old fashioned Burger spot called Super Burger. The burgers are big, flame cooked to specific temperature. I always order mine with blue cheese and bacon!

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In London I had something called a Chicken Italiano sandwich at a McDonalds. It made no sense. I wouldn't have even bothered with McD's, but simply had to try that.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  22. wannafly34

wannafly34

Login to Send PM

@LOTP - I NEVER miss In-N-Out when I'm in Vegas...double double animal style. But on topic, in NC you used to be able to get the Carolina Classic which was a burger with slaw on it. And at McD's in RI you used to be able to get a McLobster Roll...and it was pretty good!

Posted 7 years ago #
  23. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For straight up "fast food", here in Tejas, Whataburger is tops. Wendy's a close second. This goes for burgers only, as fries fall second to burger quality.

There are quite a few locally owned burger joints if you don't mind sitting and waiting that are quite good.

We enjoyed the In and Out's when we were in San Diego, BTW.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  24. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Portascat, where in Tejas are you? I'm in Allen, north of Dallas and we have Whataburger, In-n-Out burger, JC's and Five Guys. All within a 5 mile radius pretty much. There's even a decent place called Hank's that has motorcycle parking! We are Hamburger Shangri-la! We should get our scooters and do a "Burger til we Die" tour.

5 Guys has some of the best @#$! Fries I've ever had.

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

It'll be like a poker run except we'll be so fuckin fat we'll need a crane to get us off our bikes at the end.

Posted 7 years ago #
  26. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I tell you what, I like "Fine Dining" with the multiple courses and the chamber orchestra in the room and the guy who sweeps crumbs off your table and the snooty waiter that tries to sell you $200 bottles of $40 wine on commission and the absurdly perfectly cooked and shaped food in little towers, but I will walk into a burger place , and if that burger is a GOOD burger, I will strip down to my underwear and waller in it like the trashy pig that I am.

Posted 7 years ago #
  27. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My kinda eating Baron! Especially after working in places like the first one you mentioned.

Posted 7 years ago #
  28. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Indeed, sir! Any truly great chef will always tell you that you never can look sight of the first and most important thing of all and that is to be a cook. Recognize the goodness and the soul of the foods you love, the ones that give you comfort and make your heart feel full when you taste them.

I learned to cook from my grandmothers. One, who grew up in lean times, cooking for her siblings out of necessity and one who had a college degree "Home Business" Which meant "Home Economics" in those times and was a very technical cook.

They would let me "help" until I got in the way and thrown out of the kitchen. I have cookbooks dating back to the 40s and 50s and ones published only by members of out family some recipes which go back hundreds of years.

I have a huge place in my heart for those who truly love food.

Posted 7 years ago #
  29. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ours was one of those families which made food the center of any gathering. Gran (Slaughter, My other Grandma passed when I was too young to remember) Was a fantastic cook who raised 12 children on nothing.

Posted 7 years ago #
  30. jimbo

jimbo

Login to Send PM

portascat,

As a native Texan, I don't know how you can mention Whataburger and Wendy's in the same sentence. (OK, in the same paragraph.)

Wendy's is the only chain I avoid. Their dopy square patty hamburgers are tasteless and their chili is not worthy of that name, but is some kind of vegetable soup.

As for chains, Whataburger is a favorite... unless I can find a Fudruckers nearby. You choose how much meat you want on your patty, then you build your own hamburger like you want it at the salad/condiments bar. And they offer REAL mayonaise, unlike Whataburger, that only uses "Texas mayonaise" (Miracle whip).

Posted 7 years ago #
  31. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well the big news in our area is that we're getting the first White Castle in Pennsylvania in September. I grew up eating those belly-bombers in New Jersey. They offer the "Crave Case" which is a carboard attache with 32 hamburgers in it. Most people call them sliders. Its a love them or hate them proposition. I love them. Since they are 2 bites to a burger. eating a dozen is no problem.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  32. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

White Castle Crave Case, you're a lucky man papipeguy. No Castle in Texas...yet.

Posted 7 years ago #
  33. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot

Login to Send PM

I recently discovered Five Guys burgers. Where have you been all my life?

Posted 7 years ago #
  34. harrier52

harrier52

Login to Send PM

Hehe I eat at Five Guys for lunch every so often. Great burgers and awesome fries.

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe
    Posted 7 years ago #
  35. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With all the proponents of Grabows, cobs and drugstore tobaccos on this board, I'm surprised there aren't more lovers of plain old Big Macs.

Posted 7 years ago #
  36. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cob full of S.W.R and a Big Mac, Let's EAT!!!!

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  37. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dare to dream, buddy!

Posted 7 years ago #
  38. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

You need to read Mad Cowboy, written by a Montana Cattle Rancher:

Howard Lyman's testimony on The Oprah Winfrey Show revealed the deadly impact of the livestock industry on our well-being. It not only led to Oprah's declaration that she'd never eat a burger again, it sent shock waves through a concerned and vulnerable public.
    A fourth-generation Montana rancher, Lyman investigated the use of chemicals in agriculture after developing a spinal tumor that nearly paralyzed him. Now a vegetarian, he blasts through the propaganda of beef and dairy interests -- and the government agencies that protect them -- to expose an animal-based diet as the primary cause of cancer, heart disease, and obesity in this country. He warns that the livestock industry is repeating the mistakes that led to Mad Cow disease in England while simultaneously causing serious damage to the environment.

http://www.amazon.com/MAD-COWBOY-Plain-Cattle-Rancher/dp/0684854465

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  39. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oprah not eating burgers... yeah, that's funny.

Posted 7 years ago #
  40. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

good call bigvan

Posted 7 years ago #
  41. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 7 years ago #
  42. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

It's OK, I ate extra ones for all the twits who listen to Oprah. It was tough work, but I'm the man for that kind of thing.

Posted 7 years ago #
  43. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Oprah not eating burgers... yeah, that's funny.

Hey, she quit Burgers and switched to Twinkies and Bon Bons, give her a break.

Posted 7 years ago #
  44. jimbo

jimbo

Login to Send PM

I've never understood why anybody would watch Oprah.

As for White Castle, true, they are not in Texas yet. But their belly bombers are in the frozen food section at H-E-B and other supermarkets. I can eat a box (6) for supper easily. Can't wait to see what they taste like at an actual White Castle.

Posted 7 years ago #
  45. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doesn't White Castle = Krystal's?

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back! Wife or no, you are no one's property to be tossed aside. You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  46. jorchamp

jorchamp

Login to Send PM

A burger made with grass fed beef, grilled on Beg Green Egg is the best for flavor.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing like contributing to a 6 year old thread.

Bob's grill down here in Robinson, Texas. Locally owned and only open from 11 AM to 2 PM. Bob even puts the buns in the grease after the burger is cooked to slop up all the good stuff and will then slather the buns in mayo and serve on a paper plate. You ought to see how he cooks the fries!

Pipestud
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

We put crab meat on them here in Maryland.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have a local chain here called Milos that serves an open face burger covered in gravy. Their sweet tea is over-the-top sweet, sold as Southern tea (even sold by the jug at the grocers), but most of us avoid it for fear of instant diabetes.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bob's Burgers!! Slathered in grease, his buns are. I like my buns toasty, but the grease sounds good, too.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  51. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Grease" is just a hateful word for "Au Jus".

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to say but this guy has become an expert at bringing threads back from the dead.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But, there are so many unanswered questions...

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I love burgers.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  55. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Making some burgers tonight with horseradish on onion kaiser rolls. Arugula salad dressed in olive oil and lemon as a side. Lots of flavor! I have two rows of arugula in the garden so I'm eating lots of that these days.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  56. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never tried McDonalds outside the U.S. However, there are regional differences within the U.S. In the South where I live, all McD's offer ham biscuits, thin salty crispy ham on a biscuit with egg (and cheese) if you want it. I asked for it at a McD's up North and they looked totally mystified, and I saw, sure enough, it wasn't on the menu. Some of the McD franchises work at doing localized decor, within McD's interior design specs. Some of it is carried off pretty well. I do like McD's for the occasional cheap breakfast, and their coffee is surprisingly good, a little better to my taste than the standard Starbucks, though you can't get the fancier coffee drinks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. shanegreen

shanegreen

Login to Send PM

Recently had one called The Elvis. Yep, you guessed it. Lotsa Peanut butter, slices of thick bacon, and fried bananas. It was good. I feel like I left something out though.

They're plum loco. All of them.
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cossackjack, hoosierpipeguy, oldgeezersmoker, philobeddoe, ebnash