PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Hi everybody. I started smoking a pipe about six months ago. Never smoked anything before this. About a month ago as I was driving to work I felt an odd sensation at the back of my tongue whenever I swallowed. When I got back home at the end of the day I looked in the mirror and noticed that at the back of my tongue were bumps on the left and right sides of the top, but not in the middle.
They have not been sore, or really bothered me in any way, but I went to the doc a couple of weeks ago, and had him inspect them. I told him I had started smoking a pipe about six months back, and only 2-3 bowls a week. He took a look, said "huh", and was positively unconcerned about what he saw. I had expected him to say something like "Whoa yeah, you better stop that smoking. That probably led to this." But, he didn't even bring up my smoking and said it could have been caused by anything, even mouthwash, and said just keep an eye on it, and if it started hurting to let him know.
Since that time I haven't even felt they were there, just checked on it occasionally. I have smoked a few times since that time, and most recently yesterday. Again, this morning I felt that they were there whenever I swallowed. Now, I'm not really concerned about anything at this time, but was curious if anybody else has had something like this happen, and did they go away?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Umm..Never had that! Sounds to me like a fungal infection. Have you had your tonsils out? You can get tonsil stones that if they dont come out on their own could cause an infection. But there could be other causes too? I would have your MD re-check.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I've had those bumbs before. They cleared up on their own. I think it was some form of minor infection, but nothing to worry about unless they grow or start to hurt.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've seen this before. Have you been smoking good quality tobacco? That could be the cause. But do not chance it. No sir. Just send me whatever tobacco that you have left, and you keep an eye on the bumps. I'll analyze the tobacco and get back to you with a report. Don't play around with this.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've had swollen taste buds before, but usually toward the front of the tongue. The taste but enlarges, and it hurts when it's touched. Usually goes away in a day or two - and they were happening to me long before I picked up a pipe.
I'd probably follow the doc's advice and just keep an eye on it - you might try drinking water while smoking. Could be hydration related.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
I had this same thing. Went to the ENT, again he didn't seem all that concerned about smoking, he said that it was most likely a B Vitamin deficiency. Started taking some B complex vitamins and it cleared right up

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Don't be concerned. I get this often. It is inflammation of your taste buds. My doctor said it is nothing. Certain things will set them off. My tongue has actually been swollen a few times because of this. I still haven't pinpointed what causes this for me but I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
There are far worse places to get bumps on than your tongue. :twisted:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I get that from time to time over the years and get them even when I haven't been smoking for quite some time.

I think that starting the pipe hobby brings things going on in our mouths to our attention that we may have otherwise disregarded or not noticed. Every little coloration gets my attention, like I am expecting to keel over with mouth cancer at any moment. It's sometimes psychologically hard to accept that pipe smoking is just good for us ...without expecting some new dark horror lurking in the shadows of our mouths.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. Like I said, I haven't been concerned, and don't really attribute it to smoking, but thought what the heck, maybe somebody has had this before and would say, "Nah, it's nothing. I've had it and it goes away in time."
Digital---I've been taking B vitamins so dificiency of doesn't seem to be the cause. Funny you say that. My doc actually said it could be because of that, but I told him I'd been taking B vitamins.
Woodsroad--Yeah, 10/4 on that. You're probably right. I'll send what I have in the mail today. You probably should camp out by your mailbox over the next day or two....or more. But stay there 24/7, cause it will be coming....Just keep waiting....

bill708

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
I recently had a mass appear on the inner lop. Dentist said that my salivary gland was blocked. In a week, it was gone!!!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
David, it started raining yesterday evening. It's a cold rain. But I'm in a pretty nice fridge box, and my wife brought out one of the dogs to keep me warm. I thought that your package might arrive today, I'm sure that you sent it Next Day, but we didn't get any first class mail today. Sometimes the PO sends Express Mail whenever it arrives, so I'll just hang tight and wait.
If it doesn't arrive by tomorrow night, should I stay out here through Sunday? The cardboard is getting a little soggy and I'm hungry.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Sorry bout that Woodsroad. Gee ya know, the ice storm came in the next day and things just didn't get back to normal till now. It's in the mail now. So, keep waitin....it'll be there....any day now....

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I noticed certain tobaccos give that to me, side of my tongue. I usually ended up dumping the remainder of that brand. Happened to me a couple of times. It usually disappears quickly.

jennings

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Usually bumps like that on the tongue are just a bacterial or fungal build up. Usually thrush, or similar, and will either go on their own or can be treated with a bit of mouthwashing etc. Often just being a bit run down, smoking more, or something different, or just a bit of poor diet and stress can all be triggers. Don't let it worry you...just be good to yourself, relax, try a few less bowls (time to maybe play with a bit of snuff for a week or two?!) and see what happens!

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
No sir. Just send me whatever tobacco that you have left, and you keep an eye on the bumps. I'll analyze the tobacco and get back to you with a report. Don't play around with this
I think it will be better if I handle this, considering it would be bad to waste your time with such trivialities et cetera. Naturally i'll allow you to write the report, but the tobacco testing must be left for me.

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
I had the exact same thing last year.... had the oral cancer exam.. negative... blood work.. negative... we wont discuss the lecture on my weight... but my doc said it was dry mouth... HUH.. so I drank a little more water... and started using that mouth rinse for dry mouth.. POOF gone... when I first noticed this.. I invisioned my mouth in a jar on some lab techs desk ... but as others above had stated.. it was just swollen taste buds... looked wild.. but no concern. My cure.... a little more ice with my vodka each night... things are good. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.