PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Just need to vent a little bit if that's ok.
I have been pretty bummed out at work since I have only been getting 3-4 days a week which doesn't really help much at the end of the month. It does something but just barely. Well, this week I am down to only two days!! I don't get it man, the boss man hires more people and cuts others hours. I have been looking and jobs are just so scarce it's a bummer. I'm waiting for a call back from UPS and hopefully they will get back to me soon because that is such a great company to work for. Annual raises, benefits, and more. Every time my phone rings my heart jumps, I run to the phone and it's a family member or something. Not that I don't like talking to them but I really want it to be about a job. Send me some luck please!!
I hope everyone had a great week and that your ready for an awesome weekend.
Enjoy and happy smoke rings!

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Hey, good luck to you. Hope it all works out. My employer schedules people five days off and then nine days on. Must be something in the air this time of year...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Fingers crossed brother!
surprised-shamrock.png

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Good luck to you. That's really rotten when employers put new people on to cut the hours of the workers they already have. Hope things work out for you, and next week brings good news.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Good Luck! Many employers are more interested in making more money than keeping or creating loyal employees. If Im not needed I will go somewhere I am. Sometimes its a leap of faith.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
In 1964 I waited several days for a call.It finally came and I workrd for that company 30 years and retired.I will never forget my elation when that call did come..I wish you the same good fortune.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Redbeard:
I worked at two part-time jobs (days for The Orvis Company, and nights for FedEx) for over a year before winning a single, dream, day-job. That period of my life was something of a Twilight Zone existance leavened with little sleep; however, the lesson was that persistance DOES pay off. Keep your chin up, Sir, and your eye on the prize!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I hope you get the UPS job. I worked there part-time for three years as a package sorter and truck loader/unloader when I was in college many years ago. The pay was twice what I could get anywhere else, and the work was hard manual labor, but I was young then and I loved it. I even received health care benefits, which is unheard of nowadays for part-timers. Best of luck to you.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the good wishes! I will keep my head up and hope for the best.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
" I don't get it man, the boss man hires more people and cuts others hours."
Well, that is what the gubbmint has encouraged employers to do under Obamacare. Sadly, you are (very much) not alone in your predicament. When you hear on the news that unemployment is down and job creation is up, take the time to go to the BLS website and delve deeper. What is happening is that full time jobs are being eliminated, and part-time jobs created. On balance, it looks like more jobs, so that's what the media reports.
Think about it when you step into the voting booth. You do vote, correct?
When (not if!) you get that UPS job this week, go buy a straight Virginia that love and cellar it for your retirement day.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Red
My sympathies are with you and I truly hope that call comes
Rarely do I agree with Woodsroad, but this time I believe he is correct
Let's watch carefully who we vote in and out of office this time around
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.