PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I did some cleaning today only to find one of my favorite pipes has a burnout. I bought it as an estate and it came with one of those spiffy bowl coatings to freshen it up. I've smoked it probably 30 times and it is conceivable that I caused the burnout, but I have my doubts as it's a fairly deep burnout and I'm a fairly slow smoker.
It's a lesson learned as I will not buy another estate pipe that has had the bowl coated. It's not an expensive pipe so that helps a little, but I'm bummed nonetheless. I just needed to vent a little. :(

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
BTW, Ash, I knew I had seen your avatar before in my life. I use to make and ride longboards back when only us hippies rode them. I have some that I have passed on to my kids and they have Spitfire wheels on my homemade trucks. I think I must have a box of Spitfire stickers in storage with a box of board paraphernalia and parts... Sex wax, etc. When I finally get back into my own home, I will have to send you some of them if you have a hankering to slap them on things.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Awe man! I've also seen burnout from leaving a smoldering bowl out on a windy day...it just means soon you'll get to buy a another pipe!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This guy did it twice on the same custom pipe. Very sad.
hIeUkD8.jpg

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I just noticed a small burn out in my new Tim Thorpe-- probably just a small void that opened up. Instead of mud I'm going to pulverize activated charcoal to powder and mix with a bit of honey as a binding agent and press that into the depression. I think I've done this before a few years ago with success. Saves me from having to run up the street to get a ceegar. Anyway, why cigar ash and not pipe tobacco ash?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Wow. For some reason I did not picture the burnout being in that position. And I have used fireplace Ash to good effect. Someone posted a good explanation about the higher temperature burn in the fireplace producing a better, "purer" form of CaCO3 which makes better mud cement.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
CaCO3... Calcium carbonate right? I've got some stucco patch in my shop that's mostly chalk and some solvent... hmmm... :roll:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, my, that is awful looking! Hard to tell from the front, but is the wall pretty thin? (And not just in burn through side)?

Oct 7, 2016
Seems like there was a thread here a short while back about estate pipe sellers who coated the bowls of every thing they sold. Heat stress is easy to cover up. Heat stress, caught early and treated carefully, can be dealt with. Just coating a bowl to make it smooth and black may do the job, but it might not. This is not just a high end collector pipe issue.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Could you post a photo of the burnout?
I tried to get a photo of it last night for the original post. I don't know how people get good pictures of their pipes. I'll make more of an effort tonight. I tried last night, but couldn't get the lighting right.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Indirect daylight generally works well. Don't put on white or light background unless you can set exposure to the pipe, (otherwise auto exposure will expose for the background, leaving the pipe too dark (underexposed)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd go with fireplace mortar. Let it cure completely, and you'll have a permanent patch.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
When I was at the tobacconist the other day he showed me multiple pipes burnt out at the exact same spot. Is that the most common place for burnouts? Assuming it has to do with air-flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.