PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I recently bid on this after reading all of Troy and Klause's posts and just realized I have no idea how to open it with out the lid. Thanks in advance for any help and a curse on Troy and Klause ( a good kinda curse ) :puffpipe:

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
One of those pocket can openers Uncle Sam used to give all the soldiers?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If you PM me I will post you the lid for a cutter top tin as I have quite a few kicking around the house and this will enable you to open the tin in the correct fashion!

May 31, 2012
Curses!

sorci5.gif

Congrats!
When you first pierce the lid, and hopefully the whoosh comes,

stick yer nose innit because the aroma is pure nirvana!
Let us know how it smokes,

that is if you do open it,

sometimes I'll sit on an old tin until the "right time"...
Good on St. Simon too!

:clap:

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Thanks again Simon. misterlowercase I just read your post about your tin of Bulwark and hopefully I do better, though I followed about the same criteria you did in my excitement. I am still waiting delivery from the UK but hopefully I will be popping it this weekend or the next. I am trying to keep my expectations to a minimum and expect "mummy dust" but mainly want to "taste the past". Klause's post about the Titanic dry dock was also a huge inspiration. Any idea what amount of tobacco is in it?
I have really enjoyed getting to meet people on the forums. I gave up most of my friends when I got sober years ago and I had basically given up meeting like minded people where I live. So finding people that share my interests in pipes and tobacco has been very refreshing as well as a nice break for my wife. I have not been on vacation in a while but am planning on going to Chicago this year with the wife and hopefully hang out with some of you guys.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Well after waiting and waiting for it to arrive, it finally made it. I opened the package with much trepidation whether or not the seal was intact. When I got the packaging open I noticed that the can was bulging. I grabbed the lid that condorlover sent me and WHOOSH ancient tobacco smell and somehow fruity. Here are some pics, I am about to smoke some and will let you know.

K

klause

Michael, that is absolutely fantastic - I'm delighted for you.
I think you are about to experience something that is as close as it's possible to get to heaven on earth.
Hurrah! :D

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Looks as fresh as the Day it was tinned, but you better hurry and get the remainder of the contents to a mason jar, or the Moisture content and Casing / Topping will disappear like a fart in a whirlwind! Enjoy friend!
Cheers,--Eric

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
NICE! It is always a wonder that stuff survives like that.
Are you, per chance, bringing an extra bowl worth to the picnic tomorrow...?
I would bat my eyes, but we are both married. lol

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I have no idea the real age of the tin, the lady from ebay said it was her grandfathers and she thought 1905 through her research, but then I found this post from 2 yrs back http://www.instappraisal.com/appraisal/bulwark-cut-plug-tobacco-tin-contents-2oz where she states it is from the 20's. Either way it is very old. I spent $70 on the tin and though I wont do that with regularity, it was well worth it (this time). Even with all the age the topping note is there, very berry/lakeland. I have been smoking alot of St Bruno and Condor lately and this is right up there. I will agree with Klause that smoking this is like entering a time machine. Whenever I smoke blends that have been around forever I always wonder how they compare to tobacco from olden times. The tin was in perfect shape inside and kept the tobacco perfect. Some of the flakes had fallen apart a bit in transit, but most were still whole. The smoke was amazingly smooth and cool and had lots of flavour.

Looks as fresh as the Day it was tinned, but you better hurry and get the remainder of the contents to a mason jar, or the Moisture content and Casing / Topping will disappear like a fart in a whirlwind! Enjoy friend!
Yes sir, jarred it the second after I took some photos.
Are you, per chance, bringing an extra bowl worth to the picnic tomorrow...?
I will bring it and many others, can't wait!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The tin is from 1953 or thereabouts. We just opened another one the other week I picked up from Pipe Stud and that was in perfect condition as well. I did not smoke any as it would be wasted on me but most of the crew thought it was pretty good/interesting. I think Dave Shain may have smoked some and I think he thought it was pretty good for its age. I am glad you enjoyed it and $70 is not a lot of money for a tin of that stuff. I gave a friend of mine a 4 oz tin of Gold Block from 1920 which I will be fascinated to see how that one tastes!

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I brought it to the SPC annual picnic to pass around. I was really surprised that most were very uninterested in trying, and many were unaware of Lakelands or British flakes. The two who did try it, loved it...so they said :)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There is a subset of people that like smoking faded unicorn farts from yesteryear and can be found hanging out with Captain Monochromatic fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.