PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bead lines, that little groove that runs around the outside circumference of the bowl of many, but not all, bulldog and Rhodesian shaped pipes, is one of the brilliant touches in pipe design. What's interesting to me is that it brings most pipes into sharper focus and gives them a balance and presence they wouldn't have otherwise. Also, it can be varied slightly; some bead lines actually are beaded with little even circles or links in the groove. What is more interesting to me is that sometimes leaving bead lines off gives a pipe a shapeless, unfinished or saggy look, but on some pipes, leaving it off is a smart enhancement. My own pipe that benefits from no bead line is my Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog which has a fabulous shape, really subtle and intricate if you stop to study it, and the lack of bead line gives it extra elegance and stature. It's one of the priciest looking low priced pipes I know. So how do you think about bead lines on your bulldogs and Rhody's?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Love 'em on bulldogs (my favorite shape, btw); kind of ambivalent for Rhodesians. I think the sharp lines of a bulldog shank are set off very nicely by the bead lines. One very nice touch I've seen here and there is where the upper and lower halves of the bowl are smooth, but the space in between the lines is a contrasting rustication.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I have a Rhodesian but it is sand blasted and does not have the bead lines.

But I'm debating on half a dozen different bent Bulldogs and they all have a double bead line. I have looked at hundreds of Bulldogs via Amazon, ebay, varied internet shops and forum pics and I find I prefer the twin bead line. Additionally I prefer the looks and lines of a shorter...5 1/2 inches in length and a shorter bowl height...probably a match to my size as I'm not a tall person.
I really like the lines of a smaller dog. The lines seem to flow a bit better. I also prefer the tapered stem to the saddle style.

If lucky I'll soon win a bid on a very nice one and my first Bulldog.
My Rhodesian is a Bjarne Viking sandblast w/yellow. It is not a costly pipe, draws and smokes very nicely to me, as an "amateur", and fits my hand very nicely.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
As an "amateur"? If you ever come across a listing seeking a paid pipe smoker, do let me know! I'd be in.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I like many variations of Bulldogs and Rhodesians. I prefer a bead or two around the bowl. Give it a bit of a finished look versus none versions.
Like my Ashton. It would be so less classy without the grooves.

Or my Squat Rhody...

I dare say this Rhody pipe would be another shape all together without its character line...

My squat Edwards and while its a favorite flake pipe, its not as pretty.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Also, the bead line can divide smooth from blast:

scott-thile-opus-2-343-bent-bulldog-1-600x339.jpg

radice-rind-1.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bob Hayes, the N.C. pipe carver, had a bulldog at the TAPS pipe show in 2014 that had a smooth upper bowl and blast (or rusticated) below the bead line, the entire pipe done in a kind of cream beige. He really had the textures brought together incredibly well. I think that one was only $150. I walked away, but the pipe has followed me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Bob Hayes makes a very nice bulldog!
Most of my Rhodesians and Bulldogs have beaded bowls, and I'd have to say my preference is a bead ring.
Here are my two without bead lines.
1971 Dunhill CK

2004 Ashton Sovereign

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Good thread topic! It was always my understanding that the bulldog shape had to have the diamond shank and the Rhody had the round. Without the bead lines though a diamond shanked shape that is a ringer for a bulldog may be called something else. I point this out because of the GBD shape chart posted over in "British Pipes". I have what I always assumed was a GBD Concorde bulldog. It's rusticated and has no bead lines. Looking at that chart it is simply a "bent pipe". Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.