PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongo

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
Greetings all,
Bull and Bear is my favorite B&M that I have found for pipes and pipe tobacco and stuff. SAD to say, I got an email a day or two ago that informed me that they are losing their lease. Bad Landlord.... can't give my true feelings on this.
Anyways... they have to be out by Jan 31st. They are having a big sale of EVERYTHING in their shop. They have high end pipes, low/med end pipes and even some beginner briar pipes. They have a TON of bulk tobacco also. They also have a small amt of tinned tobacco. Most stuff is 45% off.
I picked up a low/med end pipe, pipe cleaners, rubber bits, shank brush, and.... oh yeah, two pounds of my favorite bulk that they sell.
The owners are great people. I hope they end up somewhere in the future, and I intend to support them as a B&M. If you are within a sane hour or two drive from them, I highly suggest and recommend that you visit them and help them out.
Mongo

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I used to live in Elgin, so whenever I'm back in the area I've made it a point to stop at the Bull and Bear. Their tin selection was actually very good -- at least in terms of the blends I smoke. They almost always had some Gordon Pym, Penzance, and Dan Tobacco's London Blend 1000, along with some Samuel Gawith and off-beat McClelland's (like their Royal Cajun line of faux-perique mixtures).
Also had a worn but comfortable lounge area where you could just crash, watch some TV, pour yourself a cup of coffee.
I do hope they can find another location. I'm not aware of any other pipe/tobacco shop in the northwestern Chicago suburbs.
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm glad you helped them pay off their expenses closing the shop, but I would a lot rather have my local

independent pipe shop stay open than get %50 off any anything they have. These places are anchors to

pipe smoking. My local owner can't go on forever, but he seems to be having fun. The neighborhood is

going upscale, though he is still neighbor to a tattoo parlor and a bike shop. The upscale apartments

nearby might actually bring in paying customers, I hope. I wish the Bull and the Bear could have found

a nifty new location in a high traffic low rent spot. As they used to say in the Navy, "Dream on sailor boy."

Status
Not open for further replies.