Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Bulking up the Cellar

(37 posts)
  1. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Just had to post this pic. Man I love this stuff but I don’t know why ? What is it that I’m tasting that is so different from all the other aro’s I smoke

Edited by jvnshr: Fixed link.

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Sorry having trouble posting a pic

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There it is, though you've rotated it somewhere along the line.

You simply had an extra "http//" in the URL. Just paste over it next time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Anybody know how to post a pic from an iPhone
    I can’t get the darn thing to work

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Oh ok thanks

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

What is it that I’m tasting that is so different from all the other aro’s I smoke

I'm going to take a wild stab at it and say chocolate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

Chocolate and Granny Panties.......

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is there Rose Geranium oils in there? I thought this one was granny panty free.

I haven't tried this one yet.
    From smokingpipes.com

The main characteristics of Bob's Chocolate Flake come from the 8% Latakia included in the blend and the smooth chocolate aroma. Brazilian, Zimbabwe, and Malawi Virginia leaf make up 82% of the blend providing a mellow/medium smoke cooled with the addition of 8% Malawi sun cured and 2% Malawi Burley. The Latakia cools but also adds strength and aroma. The cocoa casings and chocolate top flavors are rounded off with vanilla and other flavors providing sweet notes in this very unique and popular blend from Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.

Malawi has a fire cure, smoked meat flavor, and the small whisper of latakia would add a cool smokey spice. Added cocoa and vanilla... hmmm... I just haven't tried it because it is so hard for me to imagine. And, it's such a mediocre nicotine punch. I think that Dark Flake fits me better for a strong flavor, with an even stronger nicotine kit.

But, if you like it, that's great. I will eventually give it a try. Like what you smoke, smoke what you like...

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried it yet either, but I couldn't resist the granny panty quip. The review consensus seems to be the SG Mayor's Chocolate Flake has a stronger chocolate flavor so I'll probably give that a try first.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Pipesticks, better watch it, some guys take their granny panties very seriously... Ha ha!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I keep rotating my tablet device, but it keeps showing the pix upside-down! Post is loads of fun for this easily amused piper. I may not be able to leave this thread for a while.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

From what I’ve read it has something to do with the Lakeland’s that’s in it
    Whatever that means ?

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Sorry about the pic guys
    For some reason every time I post a pic it rotates it
    Don’t know how to fix it

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lakelands is just an area of England. They are known for their scented tobaccos, which is a little different from aromatics, in that the flavoring (or scentings) are from the perfume industry. There is a bunch of malarchy about English purity laws, but I think that these had more of an effect on making latakia more popular, as I cannot imagine perfuming tobacco with colognes and perfumes is "pure."

Most likely some of the flavors that you are experiencing that are "different" are the uses of those "imperial" tobaccos from places in the world where other companies don't source tobaccos from, such as Malaysia, Malawi, Africa, etc... those deeper stronger flavors aren't normally found in American blends, and the tastes are pungent. I like them though, but I try to find the ones that have less of the damned perfume scents squirted on them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

So what does Minnesota smell like?

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. jamban

jamban

Login to Send PM

Did someone say Malaysia? Hello!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Thanks cosmic that helps explain a lot
    Whatever it is that I’m tasting is new and for whatever reason
    It really appeals to me. This blend is definitely something to try
    If you haven’t yet. Strange but in a really good way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So that's were all the online tins went! Wink/Nudge.

I love Bob's Chocolate flake. It has "almost" no detectable Lakeland Essence other than a faint whiff here and there. It goes GREAT with Port wine. I recently bought 2 pounds in bulk and jarred it all up is batches to supplement my tins. This is one of my apocalypse blends that I couldn't live without, so it's cellered very deep.

It is one of my favorites to smoke when doing a deep cleaning session. I posted this picture the other day on the what are you smoking section. The Tupitsyn bulldog is loaded up with BCF!

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It you like that chocolate Malawi Burley, another great blend to try is HU Makhuwa. It's like a smokable chocolate milkshake.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Where can I order some of that makhuwa
    I’d love to try some

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I FIGURED IT OUT !!!!!
    Wow if this isn’t a sign of old age I don’t know what is...

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think you can cellar aros for very many years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That must have come from people who don't understand tobacco. There is a bunch of bullcrap being passed around by newbies on the webs. Aros age very well, so do burleys. They just don't age as well as Virginias. See, these binary thinking troglodytes hear that something doesn't age as well, and they think, they suck with age.
    Now, some aros wouldn't be worth aging, such as many Sutliff and Lane goopy gooeys. They may get slightly better, but as the topping dissipates, they might suck. But, there are many other quality aromatics that are not goopy, nor gooey. And, as the tobacco flavors mature and socialize, they improve overall. Lakelands are in the range that I think they would benefit very well from aging, and I have many ropes and flakes in this genre set back.
    YMMV

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bob's Chocolate Flake is not an Aro. Tobacco Reviews.com calls it such, but I say nay. It's one of those "none detected" blends. It ages extremely well.

And ... It does not taste like chocolate. It has a sense of it, sure, but more from the tabaccos. Think Padron Nicaraguan cigars. Reviewers always talk about an espresso and chocolate flavor, but it is pure tobacco. It's a profile you get, not a goopy Aro.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

maker

Login to Send PM

Sorry I can't read Australian.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I have some from various brands nearing a decade old in jars, and taste like they did when I bought them.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now, some aros wouldn't be worth aging, such as many Sutliff and Lane goopy gooeys.

That's generally what I've heard people referring to when they say aros don't age well (goopy stuff).

I don't know anything about the OP's blend. I just assumed anything "chocolate" must fall into that category.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Good to know that this blend ages well
    Otherwise I would be smoking my brains out for the next year lol
    Either way I’m glad I was able to cellar some of these tins
    Before the axe drops

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

On aging aros, I've heard so many different stories. Some guys claim there is no discernible difference and they will last for years. Others I've heard say that the toppings are chemical and they age differently in that the chemicals themselves don't age well. I guess it depends on the topping. I imagine if it's natural, like rum or honey, it will age just fine. Then, there is Scott from Aristocob that did a video on aging Lane 1Q for like 5 years. Now, Scott could easily be called a 1Q expert as that is practically all he smokes regularly, and he said it wasn't as good as fresh 1Q. Personally, I have a bag of Lane HGL in front of me and it has to be 7-8 years old. I didn't even bother to jar the stuff and it still hasn't dried out LOL. To me, it seems to have lost some of that latakia punch it had when new, but it just tastes a bit more like RLP-6 now, since HGL is just RLP-6 with latakia added, or so I've read. It's still an enjoyable smoke to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

7 year old Bob's Chocolate Flake. It ages beautifully. YUM! Now I have to smoke a bowl of the aged stuff.

Images shot with Nikon 100mm macro, handheld, natural light, no post editing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Wow that 7 year old flake looks delicious
    I

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, when I hear aromatic, Lane and Sutliff aren't the first things to come to mind. I think of great aromatics like Solani Mango Flakes and Vanilla Cream Flakes which age very well, IMO, becoming more of a balance between tobacco taste and the toppings, with more notable sweetness and just better flavors. I mix up some Holger Danske Mango Vanilla and blend with a PS Dark Fired and jar them up, and they are fantastic. Lane and Sutliff are just candies, IMO. No notable nicotine nor real tobacco flavors in their aromatics. Some guys love it, so who am I to say, but I just have others that I love more.
    It's just a shame that these two companies are what jumps to mind when people mention aromatics on here. I am not sure that does a worthy service to our hobby. Sure, sure, both companies make some decent non-aros (I know someone will mention that, ha ha.) We even give the Lane rep that comes in to The Briary a good ribbing, and he even does a better job than us at making fun of his product, so surely we aren't the only ones out there that thinks this. And, as said, 95% of all pipe tobaccos sold are these aromatics... take it for what it's worth.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. smokeyweb

smokeyweb

Login to Send PM

I have some 1Q that is at least 5 yrs. old that I occasionally pull from when in the mood. To my palate it tastes great!

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

And ... It does not taste like chocolate. It has a sense of it, sure, but more from the tabaccos. Think Padron Nicaraguan cigars. Reviewers always talk about an espresso and chocolate flavor, but it is pure tobacco. It's a profile you get, not a goopy Aro.

I know what you mean, but I don't think this is 100% accurate. It definitely has some chocolate or cocoa added to it - so it's not just "pure tobacco" that happens to have a choco-overtone. But it is more like a dusting of unsweetened dark cocoa powder than a wollop of milk chocolate.

But whatever, combined with the wisp of "Lakeland" and the barely detectable pinch of Latakia, it's really unique blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It definitely has some chocolate or cocoa added to it - so it's not just "pure tobacco" that happens to have a choco-overtone. But it is more like a dusting of unsweetened dark cocoa powder than a wollop of milk chocolate.

That is a more accurate description. However, I still consider it, in my mind at least, as none detected. It just works. I guess I was trying to describe to those new to the blend that it does not come across as a goopy Aro full
    of chocolate flavoring.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   warren, glassjapan, oldtoby, ben88, lightxmyfire, hoosierpipeguy, prairiedruid, bryans, redglow, lawayna, alan73, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75