PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have occasionally read that purchasing bulk tobacco versus the same tobacco in a tin is different. For example, I have a good friend who smokes Dunhill 965 in bulk and he swears that it is the same blend as he purchases in the tin. I have heard that bulk tobacco is different than the same blend in a tin. What say you?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have smoked Dunhill Mixture 965 both from the tin and in bulk. My best analysis is this:

tinned tobacco is sealed absolutely fresh and usually is an optimal example of a particular

blend, but if you order or buy from a good bulk dealer and jar the tobacco (in a sealed canning

jar) pretty much as soon as you get it, it should be the same or nearly the same as tinned.

Any slippage along the way may diminish the quality a little, but if it isn't too bad an assault

on the tobacco, you may not notice, or it may still be satisfying. You can't leave it in the

plastic bag and or stored in heat or humidity. Other than that, blending tobacco is an art

but an inexact science, and you will always get some variation in the year crop of the leaf,

and other variations, so the differences in taste may not be because it is tinned or bulk, but

because of slight (or more than slight) changes in the product or its handling. 1) Try a blend

first from the tin, if you can, and, 2) buy your first round of bulk in a modest quantity to see

if it is enough like the tinned tobacco to suit you. My short answer is, it's probably the same

good blend; buy a nice quantity of something you have liked, and don't worry about it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've smoked plenty of both tinned and bulk tobacco's. They are one and the same except like mso says the tinned version can be a bit fresher but I've never noticed a difference.
With the tinned version you're paying more for the packaging so whenever possible I buy bulk and store it in mason jars.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I smoke both Tin and Bulk tobaccos.Not every blend comes in bulk.Sometimes though you can find a less expensive similar blend in bulk.I doubt that a blend in a tin would be changed for bulk.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have found no difference in the tinned Samuel Gawith compared to their bulks flavor wise so I cellared the bulks. The one bulk I found inferior to the tinned version is Hamborger Veermaster. The bulk was filled with broken flakes and a ton of shake so I just cellared the tins. Most of my favorites come in tins only so it is an easy decision albeit more expensive.

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I've purchased both and I prefer bulk simply because is forces me to transfer it into ball jars. With tins I have an irrational phobia of opening the tin. Its like a commitment thing for me. The one interesting thing is that usually bulk is cheaper. But lone exception I found is with Hearth & Home from Pipes & Cigars. The bulk price for 8 oz is $20.99 the tin price is $17.41. As for the smoking experience I haven't seen any real difference besides the moisture levels, tins seem to have a higher moisture content.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The tins are just aged better, bulk doesn't age until you jar it up. There's no difference in the recipe.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I've smoked both bulk and tin tobacco and tasted no difference. I spoke to an online vendor about that and they told me that tin and bulk tobacco that is sealed at the factory is fresher than the bulk tobacco they order to sell and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.