PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I'm planning on buying some 1oz samples to see if I can find 4 or 5 blends I'll want to buy a pound or so of. So far I'm planning:

Burley London blend

HH Old Dark Fired

VA no 1

Stokkebye's

Burley

Cube Cut

Luxury Bullseye Flake

Luxury Navy Flake

Haunted Bookshop

Best Brown #2

Black Irish X

Brown Irish X

And Happy Brown Bogie

Those of you who enjoy any of these blends, do you have any other suggestions for a bulk that I should try? Va, Va/Pers in particular?

Thanks!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Quite a selection that you have chosen. Can you tell us why you have selected those blends??? I don't see any English Blends or Balkan Blends listed but you did say Va/VaPer blends. Also, some of those are pretty potent blends. How about Orlik Golden Slices or some McClelland 5100 Virginia for a little bit lighter fare??

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Also, some of those are pretty potent blends.
That's what I was thinking too!
+1 for bulk buys:
HH Old Dark Fired

Luxury Bullseye Flake

Luxury Navy Flake

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I've selected these blends because I've recently been preferring Va/Vaper over those with Latakia. I've got about 40 tins of sealed quality English blends but don't seem to favor them as much. I also am not quite sure the difference between an English and Balkan. I've also made some nicotine heavy selections as I am trying to kick a pretty heavy cigarette habit. Does orlik sell in bulk? As far as the 5100, I have about a pound as well as a pound of 2010, 2015 and 2035. Lastly, I really enjoyed a pouch of PA a long time ago and am hoping to find a quality burley.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It sounds like you are on track, knowing what you want etc. with the English and Balkan blends I'd suggest holding on to the supply you have laid away and sample some a year from now. There is a marked distinction between the 2 and after you've aquirred a good pipe smoking regimen and have completely weened yourself away from cigs. Your tastes can and will change as you get deeper into pipe smoking because eventually, I hope, that you'll begin to enjoy it for what it is and practice it less for an alternative to a cig habit. I've been down your road and was a smoker for 17 years before quitting cold turkey in 1996. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but it is a glorious feeling to be free of that grip. Good luck in your tobacco voyage!

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks setter. I'm definitely holding on to my tins. I never said I didn't like Latakia I just prefer VAs. Also I'm under the impression that VAs can age longer. Most of my tins have about 8 years on them and I hear that after 10-15 years they start to 'lose a little'. I do enjoy piping for what it is and I guess I'm just trying to kill two birds. Congrats on quitting the cigs!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I picked up a pound of Cigar Leaf yesterday, and I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm not sure exactly the type of tobacco it is, maybe Burley?
However tasty it is, smoked straight in a pipe it lacks complexity, but when added to other tobaccos or blends, it adds a sensational dynamic.
I personally use it as an ingredient for making my own blends, and I can't imagine not having some in stock at all times!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
BB#2 is great, then when I went to order it they were out :( So I grabbed the last half pound of brown flake unscented, so I hope it's as good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried it, but plan to try McClellands 805 Carolina Deluxe; sounds like a well crafted complex Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.