PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Can someone please review the difference between the bulk and tinned Nightcap?

I am thinking of jarring a good load for aging, and wonder if I would be happy with the bulk.
Thanks

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There may be differences batch-to-batch. And a tinned sample will age differently than bulk that has been sitting out in a jar (or even a sealed bag) for a while. Buy your bulk from someone who moves a lot of it. P&C moves more McClelland blends than anyone else, and they store their bulks in a temperature and humidity-controled warehouse.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I will preface my remarks by saying I am not an expert, and don't have a very discriminating palate. If Woodsroad says they are the same, then, they are the same. If it is good enough for Tbradsim1, it should be good enough for me or anyone else. However, I ordered bulk Nightcap once and noticed enough of a difference from the tinned that I have never ordered it again. It may be there is more exposure to air with the bulk, it may have been an atypical batch, my taste may have been off, maybe I was coming down with something; It could have been all or none of those things, or it could have been something else. I didn't like it as much as the tinned version. That Je Ne Sais Quoi was gone. Something was missing, and I recommend trying out a smaller sample before going big. Again, I'm probably nuts, but Your Mileage May Vary. If I had to pin it down, I blame Space Aliens. Good Luck!
Edit: Glad you said that Woodsroad!! :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mayfair, I think that P&C carries Je Ne Sais Quoi in a squirt bottle. Just add a splurtch to every Ball jar, or a splash behind both ears.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
The only problem with getting it at P&C is that it's been on back order for quite a while. I ran low an had to go to Smoking pipes.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
The main complaint I hear when it comes to bulk vs tin, is moisture level.

You guys have convinced me to purchase a fresh tin and 2oz bulk. The palate will judge, and neither will go to waste.

Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just be sure it's from the Dunhill blends and not a match from someone else. Buy it from one of the high volume online retailers. Put it in a jar as soon as you get it. I'd say all will be well. I haven't made this specific comparison, but most of the bulk tobacco I buy is quality and fresh. I think Dunhill's only bulk blends are Nightcap, EMP, and 965.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
If you find that you prefer the tinned version then tightly pack and jar the bulk and give it six months. Then try again and I'd be surprised if you noticed a difference between the two.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Eric makes an interesting observation here. It leads me to wonder: If you are buying from a high-volume retailer who doesn't keep large reserves on hand (like P&C), which product reaches the consumer faster, tins or bulk?
FWIW, I keep a spray bottle of distilled water on hand to hydrate bulks when jarring. Some blends, like D&R, are packaged at a perfect moisture level for smoking, but need more hydration for aging. At least IMHO. Of course, a higher moisture level can invite other problems, like mold.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Oddly enough I've yet to try Nightcap, EMP or 965 yet despite the fact I love those style of blends. I do have a tin of nightcap from my secret santa but I'm waiting for Christmas to pop it open.
So unfortunately I can't comment on the bulk version but if I like it I may stock up on bulk and use Woodsroad method of jaring using a caulking gun.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Great emojis.
Oddly enough I've yet to try Nightcap, EMP or 965 yet despite the fact I love those style of blends. I do have a tin of nightcap from my secret santa but I'm waiting for Christmas to pop it open.
So unfortunately I can't comment on the bulk version but if I like it I may stock up on bulk and use Woodsroad method of jaring using a caulking gun.
:puffy: :puffpipe: :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you smoke the bulk and the tinned back to back, you're going to notice a difference. If you put the bulk in a jar and leave it for a few months, you probably won't notice much of a difference. Every bulk gets better after some time sealed in a jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.