PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hey everyone. Finding I think I really enjoy Virginias. Escudo (perique I know) is good, and I'm actually really enjoying the Capstan Blue. Have some Orlik GS on the way. However, at $12+ for a 1.75 oz. tin, the Capstan is a bummer price wise.
Can anyone suggest a "Capstan-like" flake in lower price range? I can afford it, but would love to stock up on something in bulk style so I can do one order and be done for awhile.
Chris

Jul 15, 2011
Asking for a recommendation for a "Navy" blend is kind of like asking for a good "heavy metal" band. The term covers a pretty broad category and can mean many different things. If youre looking for a "Virginia or maybe Virginia/Perique offering that may or may not be slightly cased", Stokkebyes LNF, like Greg said, is pretty solid if a little bland for my taste. MacBaren Navy Flake is quite good, a VA/Burley flake topped with a kind of honey/rum flavor going on. GL Pease Sextant can be bought in 8 ounce increment and calls itself a "Navy" style blend but I think it has a little Latakia IIRC. For me, the ultimate "Navy" blend is C&Ds Black Frigate. Its a remarkable kake style tobacco that consists of stoved red and bright Virginias and a good dose of latakia cased with rum. Very cool burning, very meaty, earthy, fairly smoky, tastes like good barbeque combined with great beef jerky. In any case, good luck in your quest.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Asking for a recommendation for a "Navy" blend is kind of like asking for a good "heavy metal" band. The term covers a pretty broad category and can mean many different things.
That sums up what I was going to say very nicely.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tarak, the best bulk flakes for my tastes are the Samuel Gawith Best Brown, St James(vaper) and Full Virginia. They are not as inexpensive as the Peter Stokkebye flakes but they are cheaper than tins. I have smoked all three of the PS flakes and they are a decent smoke for the money, but I would rather spend the extra on the SG's myself.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
My choice is the Stokkebye Navy Flake, also the Bulls Eye Flake, to me slightly darker and Twist Flake to me slightly brighter. Also Newminster #400 Navy Flake.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I spent the better part of my first two years of pipe smoking, smoking almost exclusively, MacBaren's Navy Flake. It's the only tobacco I've bought a full pound of. I recently purchased 8 oz. of LBF, and to me- MacBaren's is better. However, there is as stated above, some Perique in LBF. I just like the MacBaren's better I suppose. Both good tobaccos that are readily available in bulk.
Edit: I meant LNF (Luxury Navy Flake).

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Hey Roth- when did MacBaren's change? Have I been smoking the new version for the last few years or was this a very recent change, and should I expect something different with my next batch?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well, I ended up ordering some tobaccos. Since Orlik Golden Sliced was on sale at SPC, I ordered some of that, more Capstan because I like it, and I'm actually giving Peter Stokkebye LBF a shot- since I also like Escudo with the Perique. Next time around I'm going to try either LNF, or Sam Gawith BBF, but since I was already ordering 1lb of MacBaren ODF, I had to stop somewhere. :)
Thanks for the input all.

Status
Not open for further replies.