PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
With winter coming I had to do something to make it warmer, and cut down heating costs from what last winter was. I bought two tarpaulins and bulk-headed off my work area. Now it's very cozy and I will be able to work in the coldest weather and keep costs down and warm on the inside. I also installed a vent fan that you can see on the wall. We only have one car.

Inside view

GBoDPR9.jpg

Second inside view

4Pr53Fc.jpg

Looking from inside the garage.

nOjl2Ck.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That is a fantastic idea! In fact I'm going to show this to my wife as I think this would work in my garage as well. I wouldn't be doing it so much for the winter coming as in central TX winter rarely ever comes but this would be a good way to separate my shop from the washer and dryer machines that are also in the garage. Thanks for the inspiration.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have a great workshop and power tools and terrific space, but the aspect that really makes it perfect ... A WINDOW! Do many garages don't have that. A little daylight is a beautiful thing.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Another really great bonus is that now very little smoke gets inside the house and my wife is very happy with that aspect of it. :puffpipe:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
You, my friend have a great talent and I am glad to see you taking it serious! That cutty was a real charmer and keep chasing this dream you have. You will be rewarded in the end...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That looks like an good and cost effective solution. I have the same dilemma, my workshop and winter smoke lounge is in a small section off the car storage area and it's tough to keep warm when temps drop below 25 or so. I should frame it out and put in a door. One of these days. (I do have a window in that area!)

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
THANK YOU! I have a huge garage at our new house, but no place to smoke in winter and no real 'dirty' work area. There is a sit down height work bench and a WINDOW looking at the mountains in my garage and a wood stove. But no real way to heat a small space. This is the answer! My garage is a separate building with a loft over the wood stove so this should be perfect!
THANK YOU FOR THE IDEA! Yes, I am shouting with joy! :nana: :worship:

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I am friggin jealous. We bought out house in 95. I was just starting to get my tools and toys together when my neck shot craps. Such is life. Whodathunk a life changing injury would lead to shifting gears and happiness. I will put my Z scale set together along with my slot cars this year

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
The window faces east and that is a real plus. I've been out for the last two evenings and I haven't really had to run my little electric heater. Last year with two heaters running it barely got the temp to about +3C when it was cold. With the exhaust fan running, it doesn't even fog up with tobacco funk. I am really glad some of you got the idea to maybe do something similar.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Shikano, if you don't mind me asking, how did you attach the tarps to the ceiling? Would it be possible for you to share a few more pictures that show a few more technical details. I have recently set up a garage smoking area and your idea has the wheels turning in my own head.
Also, is there anything holding the tarps to the ground, or are they just resting on the floor?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi jndyer, I would be happy to. I will take some more pictures tomorrow.

The area I bulk-headed was 8'x13' and the ceiling was 12' 6" from the ground. I purchased two 12'x16' tarps.

I used 4, 1"x3"x8' long pieces of lumber I purchased at Home Depot for less than 8 bucks. I marked the ceiling joists so that I could screw into them to fasten the 1"x3"s

On the ground, I opened the tarps up all the way on the garage floor. I cut one of the 8' long boards and then screwed them together using a 1' long 3" wide piece of 3/8" plywood to join the two pieces of board. I now had the correct length of 1"x3" for the length I wanted.

I then laid that 13' joined, 1"x3" 3" below the top edge of the tarp so that I could fold that top 3" of tarp back across the 1 by 3. I stapled that piece of tarp all the way along. I then folded the 1 by 3 over, or turned it over once, so that I had another layer of tarp over the 1 by 3. I then again stapled that.

I then lifted the tarped and stapled 1 by 3 by 13' to the ceiling where I had marked the joists. My wife helped by holding the other end of the 13' 1 by 3 and tarp at the other end by holding another 8' long 1 by 3 in her hands holding the other end in place on the ceiling. I then screwed the 1 by 3 to the ceiling joists I had previously marked with the stapled side pressed against the ceiling so they wouldn't pop out.

I followed the same procedure to close off the short side. I cut and entrance way in the inside tarp.

This left 4' of overlap from both tarps wrapping around the right hand corner as you can see in the picture.

This way I have a double overlap door.

I used double sided tape and taped three pieces of Velcro on the inside flap which allows me to close it on the inside good and snug.

The overlap on the right hand corner overlaps going toward the front of the garage and this I sealed with duct tape on the inside and outside. This means that when the garage opens and it is windy, the air flow will flow in the direction of the overlap and not into my workspace.

I then used a small piece of 1 by 3 at the right hand corner of the ceiling to close that piece of tarp so it wasn't flapping loose.

I have about 2 feet of tarp laying on the garage floor turned into my work space and on this I have laid 2"x6"s the full length to hold it in place.

I stapled the tarp all along the wall edges on the inside so there is no leakage or draft from there

I hope this makes sense for you.

I will take some more pictures tomorrow and post them.

Chris

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
jndyer, here are a few more pics.

Shows 1" x 3"s fastened to ceiling and also small piece of board holding overlap on the inside in place in the corner.

n8jCkAL.jpg

Entrance way from the outside

MeIgxh0.jpg

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Thank you so much for the extra effort to not only write a detail description and take a picture, but you also took the time to annotate the picture. Shikano you are the best.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Excellent write-up. Thanks for the additional info. I think I will hang a hammock in mine and live there if I get it built. 8)

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
This is a great idea, my shop heater is on the fritz right now and we are headed into winter, joy. I tarped off a section for a while, but I've had to expand, so kicked my wife's car out and took over the whole garage (now shop), she's ok with it since I make money with the space.

Status
Not open for further replies.