PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradgad

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Hi gang... brand new to the forum here.
I haven't been smoking my pipes much for the past couple years, but recently started again. I have a good deal of well aged Virginias on hand, but no English or Balkans. Need to restock.
I'm looking for a good English or Balkan that can be purchased in bulk, because I like to age my 'bacs in small mason jars. I like Latakia a lot, but want something with something with some dimension and nuance to it.
Any recommendations?
Thanks

bradgad

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for the fast responses, guys.
For years, Dunhill 965 and Nightcap were go-to blends for me, but I just didn't enjoy my last can of 965 (such a shame). So, I'm going to steer away from Dunhill his round.
Kairos... McClelland 5100 is my staple Virginia, so I'll certainly give #5110 a try.
flintlockjohn... I'm intrigued by your recommendations. Could you describe each in a bit more detail?
Finally, andrew and Timothy... can you tell me a good source for the two you recommended?
(My usual go-to vendor is smokingpipes.com.)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I second Sutliff's Luxury Balkan Blend 957 (Sutliff's take on Balkan Sobranie 759), bulk Nightcap, and recommend Sutliff Blend #5. C&D's Super Balkan is sold in bulk and I sure enjoyed that one.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Bradgad smoking pipes carrys it but it's out of stock, I guess the chicago pipe show really put it in demand. It was a blind tasting, as in every blend submitted had a number and it was voted the best. Cupojoes has it in stock though. It's a really nice blend, kind of like nightcap almost but a bit tamer and sweeter with less of a latakia presence. Newminister English oriental is a really great blend as well that cupojoes carrys. Newminister English Luxus is another great one that they carry. I have some Full dark english #5110 by McClellend's but I'm not too crazy for it, the lack of orientals makes it kind of a bland smoke in my opinion. I love McClellend's Va's but I'm not too crazy about their english blends. I'd suggest trying just an ounce to see if you like it.

Jul 15, 2011
I didn't know it until I ordered some but I stumbled upon Lane's Crown Achievement in bulk on smokingpipes.com. That stuff is proving to be a good smoke, very rich and complex, nice and smoky and the perique adds a nice kick. Might want to try that for a starter.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smokingpipes currently has a sale on C&D bulk. Star of the East, which is highly-touted by many English smokers, and it comes in at a very modest $26.00/pound. With the 20% sale that's about $20.00 per pound. For a quality mixture that's very hard to beat. I'm going to have to get a pound or five as I often wish that I had a latakia mixture to smoke when I'm smoking casually, such as driving the car or socializing. Comparatively, Pease blends come in at $70.00, an appropriate amount to pay for great flavor and nuance, but in a casual setting I'm not about appreciating that quality, and as such am paying too much to smoke them.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Hi 4nogginsmike, the $26/lb on C&D blends is actually the sale price; the regular price is usually $31 or $32 per pound. I have over 20lbs of C&D in the cellar and yesterday just bought another 8lbs. Still a good deal in my opinion. Also 16oz tins of GLP are $57 each at Smokingpipes and at Pipes & Cigars for certain blends. If you buy 5 or more at P&C, they are about $45/lb. Just FYI, since you seem to be a fellow fan of the GLP/C&D product. Still a few more days left for the C&D sale!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
+1 on Crown Achievement and MM 965. If you really like the orientals and Latakia you should really try Russ' Magnum Opus or Blackhouse.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
New to me but instantly liked: F&K Sterling Balkan 759. Available for under $40 / lb. at P&C

bradgad

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Well OK then! Gotta try Big Bad Bill Bailey's Bikini Bottom BB-gun B-cup Best Brown Beach Bum Balkan Blend too then. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Jan 8, 2013
Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend is good, but McClelland Blue Mountain beats it hands down. There's a lot going on with Blue Mountain and the tastes change quite a bit through out the smoke, in a good way. Hearth and Home Black House is also very good, I can't say which one I like most because I like Black House and Blue Mountain pretty equally but for different reasons. Blue Mountain is however a very fun and enjoyable smoke as you notice the changes in flavor. The Smoker Ltd Wise Fox is also an enjoyable smoke. I've yet to try Crown Achievement but I've read some good reviews on it... I have some on the way. Finally trying that one. Hearth and Home and The Smoker Ltd blends are pretty much exclusive to Pipesandcigars.com so you'll be able to get all of the above mentioned there in one order.

bradgad

Lurker
Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for all the input guys. I'd love to try them all, but don't have the disposable income for that.
A decision had to be made. Just pulled the trigger on 8 oz. of Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend ordered from smokingpipes.com

Status
Not open for further replies.