PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulfcowboy

Lurker
Jul 1, 2018
I've been trying out both english and aromatic blends as I'm still a novice. I find myself leaning more towards english blends. Not to say that I don't enjoy my lane 1Q. My question being is there a good bulk english blends? Also any good substitutes for frog morton?

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Boswell Northwoods get's many recommendations. I'm also a novice and got a sample of the Northwoods. I recommend you give it a try.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I second the other suggestions here. Proper English, to me, is more of a full bodied blend and may be a bit much if you’re starting out.
I recently tried Old Professor from Sutliff and was very pleased. Good price point too.

Others that come to mind are Boswell Countryside as well as Rattrays Bagpiper.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
PS Proper English, PS English Oriental Supreme are great blends and Pipes & Cigars has a 25% off deal on them this month.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
English blends are so numerous, you have to sample around and see what suits you. One sturdy flavorful blend is C&D Stratfordshire and another of theirs is Bayou Night, but they are probably on the fuller strength end. Not bulk, but low priced, is PC Midtown (Russ O.'s) Chestnut, a pleasant non-aro sold in tubs. Lane has 'em in bulk, Sutliff, PS, and others.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I consider GLP blends to be among the finest Latakia blends available nowadays. I also consider 8oz and 16oz tins to be bulk with the benefit of a tinned blend. Look at them. Good stuff.

Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I consider GLP blends to be among the finest Latakia blends available nowadays. I also consider 8oz and 16oz tins to be bulk with the benefit of a tinned blend. Look at them. Good stuff.

Mike S. Oops.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
PS English Luxury is a full-flavored but not overbearing, sold in bulk, and definitely worth a try.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Lancer’s slices

I'll second this one. Amazing stuff if you can find it in stock.
Also, Sutliff Heavy English, Sutliff 965 Match, and Comoy's Cask #11 are all very enjoyable to me.
While not bulk, there are some pouch Latakia blends that are worth giving a go: Peterson's Wild Atlantic, John Bull Royal English, Super Value English Mixture.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Shepherd's Pie is both a sleeper blend among the masses and a showstopper in the bowl.
https://www.thecountrysquireonline.com/product/shepherds-pie-full-english-oriental/

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
In addition to the already mentioned and great Balkan Supreme (mine is Arrango), I have SG Commonwealth and Lane's Crown Achievement in big jars.

Also LJPeretti in Boston has: British, Omega, Smith's Own and Royal as fine English blends available by amount.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nat Sherman 536 is one of the most refined English blends, has some burley in it, and is available in tins but also in bulk if you call 1-800-mycigar. It's mild but flavorful and is suitable for both experienced and beginning pipe smokers. If you want something fuller-strength, they also have a bulk blend, Dragoon; so far as I know, this is only available in bulk.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I can second the PS English Luxury and John Bull Royal English. I also enjoy the Gawith & Hoggarth Scotch Mixture.
All three of those use a more restrained hand with the latakia to different degrees.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.