PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hi All,
Craig Tarler of C&D said that he'd be agreeable to making 1 pound bars of this pressed blend. To me it is a very successful high perique blend whose VA and burley are close to being equally important to its signature, 35% Perique. Cost would be ~$50-$60.
I will be communicating with Mr. Tarler when there is interest in 5 or more pounds and imagine that the simplest manner of proceeding would be for the interested parties to pay and arrange for shipping individually. I will be posting this buy on other forums.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have not hheard of this blend before, can any one tell me what is in it and does it have any red virginia's in it. It sounds good and if there were no red's I would be in.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/the-joy-of-smokes/#more-8224

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I love the stuff and there is no red Virginia here. Here's my review, Harris:
The Virginias are a little grassy with some earth and natural citrus sweetness. The perique content is high, though it didn't knock me to the floor as I was expecting. It offers tasty tanginess from the raisin, fig, and date notes, with a nice spice hit that doesn't overwhelm, but should satisfy perique fans. It's also a little woody with hints of chocolate. The nicotine content is medium. The cake breaks apart very easily, and burns slow, well, even with very few relights, no moisture or harsh spots. A well blended, under rated product that may not be an all day smoke, but if you crave perique, you'll come back to it at some point during your smoking day.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the interest. For me, getting this tobacco at bulk prices would be wonderful cellaring opportunity!
Certainly Jim has the more discerning palate, but I find this a high-nicotine blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Mike: It does have a good nic-hit, but compared against tobaccos with more nicotine like Strang, Askwith Kake, Bold Kentucky, Irish Flake, etc., I rated it at medium. I can't fault anyone who rates the nic level higher than I do, but I thought I'd explain my gauge of it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Since there are concerns about red Virginia in the blend, I wrote Craig Tarler for an answer straight from the recipe, which I will post when he replies.

popsmusix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
I would be interested. Since this is not in the buy/sell forum, I'm hoping I don't need the post count to qualify.

If I do then please disregard. Thank you.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A guy on another forum brought needed relief to the issue of price: Smokingpipes tin prices are appealing at $8.85/2 oz, which comes to $70.80. I'm thinking max price should thus be no more than $50. Marscigars price for both Pirate Kake and NIghtrain is $43.25. Emailed Tarler.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
ORDERS CLOSE 12 MIDNIGHT, US EST 5/10
I talked this morning with Brenna at C&D; Mr. Tarler was out doing his personal move, and the whole of C&D is moving to smokingpipe's neighborhood next week, and given the move, even if the deal goes forward, the tobacco won't be ready for 3-6 weeks, which is an estimate. Brenna needs input to finalize the deal within C&D and in smokingpipes, and said that someone from smokingpipes would call me back, perhaps Keith Toney.
The blend does have Red Virginia as a secondary tobacco. The base blend is Exclusive, tweaked to become Chenet's Cake. This is how it was explained to me; I didn't ask for a precise amount.
The big one: price. C&D is not going to sell a pound of this tobacco at Marscigars prices for C&D pressed blend prices, such as Pirate Kake, for $43.25, as the tobaccos in the recipe are more expensive, most notably perique, but there are other(s). I did negotiate for $50 and explained that interest would be low at $60, given smokingpipes 6+ tin price, 8 at $70.80. I think to do the deal they will not ask $60, but determination of price is ongoing.
I may need to collect money and pay smokingpipes myself, but I am disinclined to do so. Nonetheless if that is needed, I will. I suggested that interested parties make these arrangements themselves. This is not yet settled.
Although Mr. Tarler said that if this buy goes through, bulk would be available regularly, Brenna said that they would have to take a closer look at existing sales, which sounds more likely.
ORDERS CLOSE 12 MIDNIGHT US EST 5/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.