PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
This seemed contrary to logic, but maybe someone can explain this to me?
My local b&m sells bulk tobacco at a higher price than some tinned blends.
Bear in mind I'm in Canada, so don't freak out at the prices. As well, these are before another price jump due to the last federal budget.
All bulk blends (1Q, Just Plain Nut, McClelland VaPer, Balkan Supreme etc.): $35 for 50g.
Mac Baren pouches: $29 for 50g.
Peterson tins: $34 for 50g.
McClelland tins: $39 for 50g.
Dunhill (EMP etc.): $44 for 50g.
Now I know it's all expensive, but does it make sense that the bulks are more expensive than some pouches and tins?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No, it doesn't make sense. The assumption is usually that the lower price on bulk tobacco is for the

lower priced packaging. I can see pouches being the same as bulk since the packaging is somewhat

comparable. But most tins are vacuum packed and can be kept for long periods of time, aged even.

Bulk tobaccos priced above the tinned ones? I don't know what's going on there. The proprietor might

have an interesting explanation worth hearing, with skepticism. As Hamlet says: "So I have heard, and

do, in part, believe."

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
That is very peculiar.
I do like the Just Plain Nut though. Nice aromatic in my experience.
FWIW, Peter Stokkebye bulk is discounted this month at smokingpipes.com Got me some bullseye flake on the way as I type this ;)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Bulk 1-Q for more than premium tinned? Your taxes may play a big part in it, they may be so high that the price differences between the products no longer make any difference in the cost, this would be true if the tobacco is mostly taxed on the amount and not the cost.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Do yourself a favor and order from 4noggins, 2 100 gram tins will set you back about 45$ including shipping of McClelland's. A tin of Nightcap is $8.50. I don't shop at local B&M's anymore except for maybe pipe cleaners. They can take it up with the government, but I refuse to pay those kinds of taxes. I'd say the issue is the bulks are most likely McClelland's, which are about twice the price of other bulks. Even still the b&m I used to shop at would at least have 3 tiers of prices for their bulks, economy, regular and premium. It may very well be McC's version of 1Q too, my local B&M changes the names of the McC's bulks.

masterpython

Might Stick Around
Sep 18, 2013
Not too surprising. If you look on 4noggins the same blend in bulk vs tin is rarely more than a dollar an ounce different.

Status
Not open for further replies.