PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
So I have a tin of GLP triple play dated 010614 that has developed a bulge in the bottom of the tin so it no longer sits flat. Does anyone know what causes this? I've seen vintage tins with this problem but this is only 10 months old.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I notice this more on tins coming from C&D. I assume that it's for two reasons. One, they use the nice pop top tins which probably swell more easily that coin twist. Two, McClelland, the other major blending house using pop top tins tins their tobacco blends in an environment that is oxygen depleted (or so I have heard) so the higher oxygen amounts in the C&D tins simply promotes quicker and perhaps more obvious early onset reactions (aging). At least that's what I think, and I'm no scientist. Another thing I believe is it doesn't hurt anything. A good percentage of my cellar is pop top tins, most of the older tins are swollen and none of these swollen tins that I have opened in the past 15 yrs or so were anytthing but perfectly aged to the extent that time had permitted. If anything, the swelling is your assurance that the tin's seal and seams are intact.
Mike S.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
Sam, they are stored in a drawer in a room kept at about 68F but are open to the changes of New England humidity. I didn't think it was at risk of exploding but I was unsure if this meant I should move it to a jar. Thanks for the info mikestanley!

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I only have about 20 pop top tins in my cellar and they all have about a year or so on them. They are mostly all C&Ds and McClellands w/ a couple GLPs and Butera's. Of the 20 the only one I'm seeing signs of life on is the GLP Gaslight! The top of the tin has a nice little bulge beginning to form. My cellar is kept in my temp/humidity controlled basement with the tins and mason jars all stored away in air-tight storage containers that I picked up online from The Container Store.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Great point Mike. I missed that in your earlier post....and here I was wondering why all these tins had white plastic lids! Ha.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
My tins of Triple Play from the original release are bulging more than any of the other tins in my cellar. And that's out of roughly 1000 GLP, Mclleland type tins. So it must be something with that particular blend....not sure

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bulging with tobacco tins is a good sign of aging, I just learned. For younger folks with little experience with

canned food, when food cans bulge, get rid of them right away; it can mean highly toxic microbes are at work

and the contents could kill you. I smoked up my Triple Play way to soon to see if it would bulge.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I'm new so have not seen this happen yet, but sounds like a very good thing. I have a fair amount of tins cellared and they are stacked 5 high on shelves so I will know this is happening when they start to fall over.

Status
Not open for further replies.