PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
How did you go about choosing your pipes? I'm new to pipe smoking, and my first choice was a Peterson Donegal Rocky B5 Bent Bulldog. After that I wanted something more conventional so I got a Billiard, a Peterson 106 Kenmare. I'm about to order my next two pipes and they'll be a Poker by Scott Hudson and an Italian large Pot (unamed until I order it). My approach is to not repeat exact styles, to have a variety of types. The Italian will differ in size and capacity from the Peterson (I've become obsessed with chamber diameters,), and the Poker differs significantly from the other three. Although I plan to get a Dublin eventually, my fifth pipe will probably be some kind of bent desgn, maybe one of the Peterson Sherlock Holmes pipes. My goal is to have at least seven pipes.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Interesting, my first pipe was a Donegal Rocky as well. I've followed a similar course--a variety of shapes, stems, and finishes from the big name midrange producers. The pipe I have coming to me fills my last major 'gap', as it will be dedicated to VaPer's, so after that I'll be able to space out my purchases a little more and go for pipes that really call to me.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I am fairly neurotic. I took a liking to the look of the Zulu shape, got one and liked its moderate size and graceful lines. Enoyed how it smoked and then decided to carry through with Zulu shapes on all my pipes. Now I have 10 new and vintage, plus my Make Twain Dublin Cobs, as the Dublin is the closest Missouri Meerschaum shape to a Zulu. Zulu and Dublin are related. Shooting for the "magic number" of 112 briar Zulu pipes +/- plus a few Mark Twains.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Errr...that is a little neurotic. :crazy:
But I wish you good fortune in your search! Live long and--oh..."Zulu"...nevermind.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You're off to a good start and have an interesting strategy. As for a goal of 7 pipes, do you mean this year? PAD is a addictive thing and takes a lot of discipline to control. Something I have yet to master.

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
The way i built my collection was by pipe origin. I went through an Italian phase, then american phase, then strictly Dunhill phase. You will most likely end up with more then one of the same shape! Just embrace it!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I used to buy going off how the shape appealed to me. Now that I've been smoking regularly for a few years my tastes have mellowed and the shapes that I prefer have began to emerge. I have several different shapes in my collection bit its the small billiards, cuttys, and zulus that get the most use.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
It was quite simple....what looked good that I could afford! My first pipe my wife simply gave me a price limit. I googled the begeebers out of pipes reading about quality....then bought the best I could afford that had asthetics I appreciated.
Same continues today.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I shop a lot and buy only some, but cumulatively quite a few. I think there's a lot of impulse, but I have gone with briar, cob, and a few Mountain Laurel only. I have a wide variety of shapes; no shape is verboten. I have a prince, a diplomat, several zulus, a number of billiards, Dublins, two brandies, and so on. No over riding plan, just a sort of journey; all that wander are not lost. My focus at any particular time is very targeted. When I was shopping panel pipes, that was all I could look at. Most of my pipes are lower-mid level. I have a few higher end, and some lower end I'm very proud of -- a Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole Checker, and some excellent house pipes and basket pipes.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My "approach" has been more or less random. When I first looked into pipes, I didn't much care for straight billiards as I thought they looked kind of stodgy and boring. I went with a bent egg, then a couple of churchwardens, a bag of Missouri Meerschaum seconds, and at about that time wound up unemployed. By the time I had the funds to indulge again, my tastes had shifted, and I'd started dedicating pipes to tobacco types so that I could keep flavor profiles straight without having to worry that I was tasting a "ghost". I added a Jobey billiard (see? Now they look classic, not stodgy...), a Tsuge blowfish, a Rossi Author, a few more cobs, and a meerschaum. Basically, whatever strikes my fancy at the time I'm looking.
Now I'm pretty set for pipes for a while, so I'm working on tobaccos. We're in the process of reorganizing the den where I store my pipes and tobacco, and I've been promised a dedicated cabinet. Once that's purchased and installed, I'll probably feel the need to fill out a pipe rack or two... not to mention cellaring more tobacco.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
I think your approach makes a lot of sense. You are going after pipes that interest you and are getting various pipes to give you choices for a particular smoke. One thing you might find common with a lot of folks is that their current collection is different than from the one they started out. This is a natural progression and one of the facets that many enjoy about pipe collecting. I have had different pipes that I loved at the time but grew less fond of over time. It was not that the pipe had changed but my focus had changed. It might have been that I was more interested in a different finish or shape or they way a certain pipe smokes a particular tobacco. Follow your interests and when you find a certain pipe, ask yourself what it is about the pipe you like and why you like that certain aspect.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I started out really liking bent pipes, as far as aesthetics. My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow Omega, which at some point the following year was lost on the golf course. I got into estates pretty quickly. Bought a lot of estate pipes within a couple months and really hit good on them. Sold most of them but kept 3, only to sell one of those 3 a bit later. That was a Peterson pre-republic, and taught me that I really don't like P-lips, or the Peterson system for that matter. Oddly enough, one of the pipes I kept was a straight pipe. I planned on selling it but broke the tenon, and it really wasn't valuable, so I replaced the tenon and decided to keep it. That pipe was my gateway drug to straight pipes. That pipe, a Le Mans(from the Chacom factory in France) straight panel billiard is my most smoked pipe. I wouldn't trade it for a pipe 10 times its value. I now have a wide variety of shapes and sizes, and my straight-bent pipe ratio is approaching 50-50. I also preferred smooth finishes at the beginning, but now can really appreciate a good sandblast, although I still am not a big fan of rustication. I keep a select one or two pipes from each major estate score, as a reminder of the special luck I have had. My other PADs are largely American artisan pipes, purchased as estates. I have 2 Rads, a Batson, 2 Ruthenbergs, 2 Talberts(Ligne Bretagne), a Quagliata(little known but talented), a Florov, and a Nachwalter, with a Nate King on the way.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My collection is quite varied with several different shapes represented. I have about a 50/50 mix of bent and straight. My favourite shape is the Canadian and that is the shape I have the most of with 6. I plan on adding more Canadians to my collection. All of my pipes are "factory" pipes except one which is a Tinsky Canadian. I don't really have any grail pipes that I'm seeking out but would like to eventually have at least one pipe in each of the classical shapes. Smooth, rusticated and blasted pipes can all be found in my racks. The freehands though often beautifully crafted don't appeal to my tastes nor do Meerschaums. I'm also a big fan of Brigham pipes and would like to have one of each model in my collection eventually. That's basically the direction I am heading right now. :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Initially, close to 15 years ago, I went the route that many do buying up everything that caught my eye. I had basket pipes, machine made mid grades, hand made artisan pieces, some old London estates that I bought without any real knowledge. I've since culled many of those and now have what I believe is an eclectic collection of some of the tried and true high end hand mades that I hung onto, some great smoking machine made mid grades and a few carefully chosen London estates. I see no reason to load and smoke a pipe if I know it's only going to deliver a mediocre smoke. I want good to great every time, all the time. That's a bold statement for any smoker to make and no, I'm not there yet but I'm damn sure working on it.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I just ordered the Italian pipe I mentioned in my original post in this thread. It's not a Pot (I knew it wasn't - I was deflecting attention away from potential interest in the pipe I wanted), it's a Radice Rind G sized Billiard. This should satisfy my obsession with chamber diameter!

http://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/radice/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=159276
The pipe that got me started on this size quest was a GG sized Catello Pot -

http://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=151937

But I couldn't bring myself to spend what it cost.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I don't have a strategy at all, I just buy pipes that appeal to me. I don't have specific pipes dedicated to specific blends or anything like that.
Sometimes I'll get overtaken with a desire for a particular pipe and nothing will satisfy until I have it. Happened recently when I decided I must have a Dunhill. I couldn't afford a new one, but thankfully there's no shortage of estate Dunhills and SPC had particularly nice one at a good price that I ended up with. But the point is, I couldn't think of anything else pipe-related until I had that one. I think that's called 'obsession'.
Fortunately that doesn't happen all that often; my collection isn't all that big really. Eleven briars and a handful of cobs. Oh, and 2 meers. Now I'm thinking I need a meer Rhodesian...hmmm.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
It takes experience to figure out exactly what you want. Unfortunately, experience is expensive. :D
But your plan is as good as any I've seen.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
"How did you go about choosing your wives?"

I ran into her, and I could not get rid of her from my mind, and I decided to make her part of me.

Or, I was the chosen one, by destiny, resistance is futile.

Oh, I mean pipes. Luckily one can fully refurbish them. And a change in taste and resell them. And of course have more than one, and with different shapes from different countries, all serving you in rotation. :wink:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Early in on the hobby, I became acquainted with member Cake&Dottle from another pipe forum. He had a pretty specific collecting focus on a few British brands, shape numbers and finishes. About that time, I noticed most of the pipes I found most appealing were British made and either Rhodesian or Bulldog shapes. That led me to develop a "Holy Grail" list with the Makes/Shapes and finishes I started to seek. I started selling off most of my pipes and focusing on acquiring pipes from that list.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I built my collection by hitting thrift shops and antique stores and a couple on fleabay but also from word of mouth by just talking to people. I get a kick out of finding nice pipes this way and most of the time there not expensive. You can really get caught up.

Status
Not open for further replies.